News   Apr 24, 2024
 987     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 631     0 

Captain John's Restaurant (1975-2012)

Noticed some activity on and around the ship when walking by the area today. The parking lot adjacent to slip had been cordoned off with yellow caution tape and there seems to be some freshly boarded up windows on the dock (starboard) side.

There is now a mobile crane set up on the eastern side of the ship, but I'm not sure if it's directly related to this.

Admiral Beez - "Here's a pic of Haida visiting Toronto, is this the same pier that Jadran is in? It would be great to open that pier again for Royal Canadian Navy visits. I always think sticking visiting warships along the shoreline east of Loblaws is not a great location."

Riverdale Rink Rat - "Given the perspective of the Royal York and Toronto Port buildings, that looks to be York slip, no? "

Yes I think it is the York Quay, the Customs House is still there, small dignified rectangular building to the right of the shore, not sure when, the Bank of Montreal building on King was started in mid 60's.

Choice bits:

Captain John: Well, it’s very hard for me because that’s my life, like a dog. I’ve been supporting the city, supporting the community for 40 years and I think I should be treated with a little bit more respect.

I think that all started about 15 years ago. They wanted me out because of the development. Waterfront Toronto, Port Authority, including the city. Why did the city shut the water off? That’s the easiest way to get rid of somebody.

He clearly didn't read the reviews years prior to the shutdown - the easiest way to get rid of him would have been through public health.

AoD

The Toronto waterfront is set to be transformed for the first time in 40 years Thursday as Captain John’s floating restaurant prepares to finally set sail — under the engine power of two super tugs — at about 10.30 a.m.

That’s assuming the wind, waves and weather co-operate.

The ship, which has been a fixture at the foot of Yonge St. since November of 1975, has been ready to go since Tuesday, but the move was delayed because of high winds.

Back