News   Aug 28, 2024
 188     0 
News   Aug 28, 2024
 1.4K     7 
News   Aug 28, 2024
 470     0 

Candidates and their subway plans... The Star tells you which one is more credible

Which Subway/Transit plan do you support

• Sarah Thomson

Votes: 53 60.9%
  • Rocco Rossi

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Joe Pantalone

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • George Smitherman

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Rob Ford

Votes: 6 6.9%

• Total voters
SOS does not only want subways. Look at the plan before you bother to comment on it.

LRTISTAS: There's a reason why we're demanding so much subway right now, and it's a simple leap of logic. Subway is the fastest and highest capacity transit system that the TTC will be building. So naturally, it'll be serving the highest ridership lines with the greatest need. The basic point is that a little LRT line definitely doesn't hold priority over a subway that will carry twice as many riders. Why do you think that the TC is such an embarrassment without the DRL? Why do you think that cities with established RT networks are turning to secondary modes like LRT and BRT now? It's because there is a heiarchy that dictates what we should build, and the things in highest need will be built first. It would entirely be justifiable to have absolutely no new LRT lines in the next 15 years. That's the main difference between all LRT and all subway: all subway as an ideology is actually justifiable in Toronto's situation where we desperately need more RT capacity and coverage.

And have a plan heavily critiqued and respond " we're fixing it".

What would you rather have had us say? You gave your input, we made some changes. You still disagree with us. That's fine. Frankly, we don't care what you think. Your views are the vast minority in Toronto anyway.

We took the constructive criticisms (ex: Cue jump lanes. All the BRT projects in the new SOS Plan are either curbside lanes, or fully separated Transitways), and ran with them. Others that were more rooted in the LRT vs subways debate as opposed to actual criticisms of our plan, we more ideological criticisms than about our plan in specific. Having said that, I do not consider "subways are not the answer. LRTs are. SOS sucks" to be valid criticisms.

And I second what LAz is saying. Have you even looked at the updated version of the plan? Here it is in case you haven't (this is Phase II, Phase I is shown faded out). I know you don't agree with it. I accept that. And frankly, I don't care if you agree with it or not, because I can say with confidence that the majority of Toronto does, or at least with the majority of the key elements of the plan.

Attachments

• MoTo v3.1 (Phase II).jpg
    MoTo v3.1 (Phase II).jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Stale Start, are you for real?

I'll take your derision as a compliment because your advocacy for the revivial of 19th century's old mode of technology to handle the capacity demands of a population size that's grown 10x larger since, is anything but fresh!

Definitely not enough to spend billions on. Ansem does not like transfer, buy a car. Transfers are a part of riding transit. Spending billions to eliminate a transfer for a limited number of riders is lunacy!

And yet you advocate so strongly for the Finch West LRT which the City/TTC didn't even have on its radar as a priority corridor all of seven years ago: http://www3.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/ridership_growth_strategy_2003.pdf ? WTF?!?

You might to take note of what the City Official Plan Urban Structure intended for the area around Keele and Sheppard on pg. 46, and the Higher Order Transit Corridors prioritized on pg. 47.

Spending billions to eliminate a transfer for a limited number of riders west of Weston Rd/Finch is sheer lunacy!

I'm glad I live in Ottawa now, we have a transit plan that actually make sense, and that won't f**k the city over 20 years from now, and that isn't a multi-billion dollar waste of money.

Have fun with your streetcars, because they'll do nothing to relieve congestion, both on the highways and on the subways going into downtown. Transit City is a multi-billion dollar band-aid, nothing more.

I envy you man, I really do. Toronto is turning so backwards now it's not even funny anymore. How does it feel to be living now in a city that actually has its shit together and is planning sustainable real rapid transit over the long-term?

We were so close, if only Harper/McGuinty had came to power just a few years earlier and gave RTES the go-ahead instead. But alas, this what happens when a minority of well politicized lobbyists hijack an agenda and thrusts its worldview upon the lowly transit user, whether we welcome it or not.

Realistic? Please! It seems as though you don't get it and people like UT members and Steve Munro are constantly having heart attacks trying to educate you and S.O.S.

More like trying to brainwash and indoctrinate. We will never be fooled again, not after the 512 St Clair boondoggle. How much taxpayer dollars must the City throw down the drain before you wise up?

And have a plan heavily critiqued and respond " we're fixing it". S.O.S. does not come off as credible, when they have to revise their plan after it was exposed for having so many flaws. S.O.S just comes off as a group who only wants subways for the sake of subways, and nothing more.

If only Transit City were more flexible, we'd have a completely grade-separated LRT line across Eglinton and very few SOS members would complain. We actually take public consultation seriously and modify our plan to suit the needs of the customer base. Transit City regards transit users as a third or fouth concern behind legacy-building politicos, real estate developers, and NIMBYs. After several months of thorough discussion we put forth a plan that is sound and that's primed for politicians to co-opt into their running platform.

Mission accomplished.

SOS does not only want subways. Look at the plan before you bother to comment on it.

Aren't you the same LAz that is getting cut up on the thread, ' Transit City Plan Debate (was Progress)' for your silly remarks regarding GO Transit?

Last edited:
Aren't you the same LAz that is getting cut up on the thread, ' Transit City Plan Debate (was Progress)' for your silly remarks regarding GO Transit?

Cut up? What???

I'm kicking ass over there! Muahaha! (god this line sounds so messed up!, lulz)

And yet you advocate so strongly for the Finch West LRT which the City/TTC didn't even have on its radar as a priority corridor all of seven years ago: http://www3.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/ridership_growth_strategy_2003.pdf ? WTF?!?

You might to take note of what the City Official Plan Urban Structure intended for the area around Keele and Sheppard on pg. 46, and the Higher Order Transit Corridors prioritized on pg. 47.

Spending billions to eliminate a transfer for a limited number of riders west of Weston Rd/Finch is sheer lunacy!

That map you're quoting also shows Jane/Finch to be a priority area along with Finch and Weston, and considers Finch west of Yonge to be a priority corridor. You just made a case for the Finch West LRT!

It's refreshing to see the TTC wised up, and made serving Northwest Toronto with improved service to Rexdale a priority. And no, the Spadina Subway extension will mot adequately serve Rexdale.

Last edited:
Wised up? It makes me think that you have a feeling that SOS has been a dud organization that did nothing until now. All these things that are mentioned about the new plans are actually kinda old news. Get with the times. SOS is more democratic in that it takes other opinions into consideration than would the evil empire that is running the real thing. They do not care about feedback from others - they are determined to ram down TC at all costs. SOS is however open to suggestions and ideas.

Yet when we show you that a subway is not needed at this time along streets such as Sheppard East, SOS members sulk like babies. You guys are very closed-minded.

Sheppard east is a very long distance. There is no reason why sheppard should not go an extra two km eastwards. That is not a whole lot.

But what bothers me mostly is that sheppard is not in the first phase of the SOS group's plan, so what's wrong with you??

But seriously, why shouldn't sheppard be extended at least to victoria park or warden in the very near future? That portion would be good and justified. Correct me if I am wrong, but there is plenty of ridership and business around consumers and victoria park, no? I am just worried that the VP station might get way too much ridership because of the good location and transfering bus/tram lines, so I would take it further, to warden. That's just me, but there is no reason why it should not go to VP.

At any rate, being close minded is a stupid attack, that is backed up by nothing.

Back