News   Apr 26, 2024
 280     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 282     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 472     0 

Canadian Soccer Association to bid for 2026 World Cup

The men of the Canadian Soccer League might take issue with that, even if all but one of the teams are in Ontario.

Except that even our own governing body does not sanction that as our D1 league. The CSA gives that sanctioning to the American based MLS and creates a whole other tournament (which actually excludes CSL teams) for determining who represents Canada in CONCACAF club competition. Hard to ask FIFA to bestow a level of prestige on the CSL that the CSA does not.

EDIT: I should also mention that the CSL is so obscure that most Canadian sports fans (excluding the real die hard soccer community) would ever have heard of this league if it were not for a recent CBC report on match fixing in the league by overseas betting cartels. What drew them to this league to fix matches? Why, of course, its obscurity! They like to bet on (and fix) matches where very few people are watching/noticing outside of their online feeds.

Last edited:
All these technical comments are funny when you consider that 2022 is in Qatar, a country of 1.8 million people where it's aound 40 degrees during the day. In other words FIFA could care less if Nunavut held the World Cup on it's own.

Keeping to the point of the poster who introduced the notion of a domestic league......Qatar does have a league....Qatar Stars League (formerly known as the Q-League ) is good enough to have produced the 3rd place team in last year's FIFA World Club Championships (FC Barcelona were the surprise ( ;) ) winners over Santos of Brazil).

Agreed, Canada's tendency to piggyback off of American leagues is a hinderance to us getting a World Cup and a sign of our national inferiority complex. People tend to use the "we want to be part of the best" argument, which kind of works for basketball and baseball but completely falls apart when we're talking about the second rate MLS.

Agreed, Canada's tendency to piggyback off of American leagues is a hinderance to us getting a World Cup and a sign of our national inferiority complex. People tend to use the "we want to be part of the best" argument, which kind of works for basketball and baseball but completely falls apart when we're talking about the second rate MLS.

I do not think we have an inferiority complex about hockey and we do not have an all Canadian League. That is just the way we do things in Canada due to our vast distances between major centres (CFL is definitely an exception). I think the best we can hope for is to have a second tier league in Canada (i.e CSL), with one or two of those top teams challenging the Canadian MLS teams in the Champions League. Hopefully FIFA recognizes our history and geography and does not hold it against us.

I do not think we have an inferiority complex about hockey and we do not have an all Canadian League. That is just the way we do things in Canada due to our vast distances between major centres (CFL is definitely an exception). I think the best we can hope for is to have a second tier league in Canada (i.e CSL), with one or two of those top teams challenging the Canadian MLS teams in the Champions League. Hopefully FIFA recognizes our history and geography and does not hold it against us.
Oh, the national inferiority complex is alive and well when it comes to hockey. Just suggest to someone that the Canadian teams should form their own league. The responses tend to be variations of "it would just be another CFL" and "I'd rather play New York than Saskatoon" and other nonsense.

A Canadian first tier soccer league would be right up there with MLS if the support that the Canadian MLS and NASL teams is any indication. Distances and population are just excuses. That doesn't stop other spread out countries like Australia from having their own leagues, or countries with tiny populations like Qatar or Scotland (which isn't even independent). Sadly, the only way we'll do it is if FIFA forces our hand.

Oh, the national inferiority complex is alive and well when it comes to hockey. Just suggest to someone that the Canadian teams should form their own league. The responses tend to be variations of "it would just be another CFL" and "I'd rather play New York than Saskatoon" and other nonsense.

It's not just that; half the fun of playing is being able to rub victories in the American fans' faces.

So that makes four straight CONCACAF qualifying campaigns without even reaching the final group of six. Today's fantastically embarrassing result makes a complete mockery of any bid talk, and seriously undermines the decision by the CSA to get in bed with MLSE and the MLS. The CSA got cash in its pocket (or someone's pocket), MLSE got a team that has been somewhat profitable (at least up to now) as well as a stadium for relatively little, and the MLS got stable ownership for an expansion team. Everybody won except for what is supposed to be the CSA's primary concern -- the men's national team. Nice job.

That the coach will resign/be fired is a foregone conclusion, but what really should happen is the immediate resignation of the entire board of the CSA. But I doubt it will go that way.

All that aside, I propose new stadiums in Whitehorse and Frobisher Bay when we win the bid.

I think the bid should fail - there are just too many other countries where football is more popular and where they produce better players. Canada will still make more sense than Qatar though..

Personally, I think the 2015 Women's World Cup will either make or break Canada's chances of ever hosting the Men's World Cup.

From what I remember, the WWC was granted in large part because of the success Canada had hosting the U-20 WC in 2007. The WWC can be a stepping stone to the WC the same way the U-20 was a stepping stone to the WWC. Yes, I do realize that the WWC to the WC is a much bigger stepping stone than the U-20 to WWC, but it's a stepping stone none the less.

I think we'll be in a much better position to judge Canada's chances after the 2015 WWC. I do have a feeling that it'll be a success though, especially if it manages to create the same level of buzz that the Women's team did in London.

Personally, I think the 2015 Women's World Cup will either make or break Canada's chances of ever hosting the Men's World Cup.

From what I remember, the WWC was granted in large part because of the success Canada had hosting the U-20 WC in 2007. The WWC can be a stepping stone to the WC the same way the U-20 was a stepping stone to the WWC. Yes, I do realize that the WWC to the WC is a much bigger stepping stone than the U-20 to WWC, but it's a stepping stone none the less.

I think we'll be in a much better position to judge Canada's chances after the 2015 WWC. I do have a feeling that it'll be a success though, especially if it manages to create the same level of buzz that the Women's team did in London.

The same women's world cup which will not be played in Toronto because of the conflict with the Pan American games? I'm sure the world cup committee will appreciate being second fiddle.

lol but the Pan Ams were awarded first and FIFA must have known that before choosing Canada (though they had no other choice).

Back