Canadian Soccer Association to bid for 2026 World Cup

Discussion in 'Politics (Toronto Issues)' started by Solid Snake, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Solid Snake

Solid Snake Active Member

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/opi...er-association-to-bid-for-2026-world-cup.html

2. Automation Gallery

Automation Gallery Superstar

Right-on....great news

3. nfitz

nfitz Superstar

Terrible news. The only way to win a FIFA World Cup is to buy the votes. Can the CSA really afford to be bidding against some oil-rich sultanate?

4. ChesterCopperpot

ChesterCopperpot Senior Member

Under current FIFA rules - Europe and Asia cannot bid for 2026 as they will have hosted in 2018 and 2022 respectively. CONMEBOL will be hosting in 2014.

So that leaves Africa and CONCACAF vying for 2026 - and South Africa just held it in 2010.

5. Solid Snake

Exactly!

Mexico already held it in 1986
    USA in 1994
    Central America's ability to hold those games are doubtful

The fact that the last U20 World cup in Canada was the most successful U20 FIFA tournament of all time makes Canada's bid that much stronger. We never held it in the past.

With what happened at the Olympics for the Women's team Canada I can predict that the 2015 Women's world cup will be just as successful.

I'd be surprise if they gave it to the US or Mexico again. We have the economy and capacity to make them successful.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  6. ChesterCopperpot

While I'd like to see it happen in Canada - there just isn't the pool of 10-12 stadiums that will have the 45,000 capacity needed to host the event

7. nfitz

nfitz Superstar

They haven't established the rules for 2026 yet. The rewrote the bid rule book for 2018 and 2022 bids. There's no rush here ... they may not be awarding 2026 until 2019, based on how they awarded 2018 and 2014. 2022 was the exception ...

8. Solid Snake

1-Olympic Stadium
    Montreal

2-Commonwealth Stadium
    Edmonton

3-BC Place
    Vancouver

4-Rogers Centre
    Toronto

5-McMahon Stadium
    Calgary
    35,560 --> 46,020 with temporary seating

6-Proposed new Stadium
    Regina

7-Investors Group Field
    Winnipeg
    33,422--> 40,000 with temporary seating

8-Proposed new Stadium
    Ottawa
    Unknown

9-BMO Field
    Toronto
    Upgradable

10-Saputo Stadium
    Montreal
    Upgradable

11 and 12 New Stadium?

9. ChesterCopperpot

Ottawa will be upgradable to 40,000 as will the new Ivor Wynne.

I can't see BMO and Saputo being upgraded that much. East coast stadium maybe - Halifax, Moncton??

And there needs to be a stadium with a capacity of at least 80,000 to host the final (Toronto Olympic Stadium??)

The Americans are way ahead of Canada with regards to stadia

10. Solid Snake

The point is they already had them which plays heavily against them. We had the most successful U20 world cup in FIFA history. With our economy and possibility at winning the 2024 Summer games, adding 2 more stadium is far from being unrealistic.

The way BMO and Saputo stadium are built, adding new seats and section is really easy to do.

11. MetroMan

MetroMan Senior Member

I confess when I read the title I thought "No way" because when has Canada's men's team ever even been in a World Cup? After reading some of the points made here, Canada appears to be a shoe-in. With the path of improvement being followed and with a competitive MLS team, Canada appears headed to putting together a pretty decent national team.

BMO Field was always a beginner stadium. I can imagine a serious permanent TorontoFC stadium being built in the next decade whether or not Canada hosts the World Cup. Ideally, I'd like to see a stadium in each Province and Territory but I don't think Nunavut will have use for a 50,000 seat stadium after the Cup. The Rogers Centre + The New BMO Field in Toronto, Olympic Stadium plus a new MLS Stadium in Montreal (another soccer crazy city) in addition to the others in Canada's major cities would be a realistic lineup.

12. GenerationW

GenerationW Senior Member

Canada has only qualified once -- in 1986. And the results were not pretty.

As for this 2026 idea, IMO Canada has virtually no shot to successfully win a stand-alone bid. On the other hand partnering up with the U.S. is very winnable, though it's anyone's guess whether FIFA would allow that and if the Americans would be interested.

13. Red October

Red October Senior Member

Let's get through the Women's World Cup and Pan Ams first.

Also BMO Field is extraordinarily easy to expand in order to seat 40,000+.

[​IMG]

Not only does it have 2/4 sections which can be expanded, it has the swaths of space in the surface parking lots to temporarily expand it!

14. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Superstar

Ignoring, of course, that sheer number of stadiums in the host country is, by no means, the only criteria that FIFA has. Others workign against us are 1) limits on number of stadiums in any individual city used (ie. FIFA likes/requires it to be 1 city 1 stadium....so the concept of us having two cities - Montreal and Toronto - that would each use two stadiums is a hurdle) and 2) FIFA requires that, for the duration of the tournament, the keys to the stadia be turned over to them for their exclusive use....so we have the issue of telling 3 MLS teams and 9 (by then) CFL teams to "stop playing or find somewhere else to play".

Add in that by 2026, some of the key stadiums listed above will be very old and will need substantial updating!.....Olympic Stadium will by 50! Commonwealth 48.....Roger's Centre (which, I guess would be renamed back to SkyDome for the tournament) will be 37.

Once we get over those issues we will need to deal with the cost....which is substantial. Will our general public (and by extension our government) be willing to spend the amount of money on stadia that is needed?

Germany, South Africa and Brazil all were dealing with a combination of new and refurbished stadiums (as Canada would be).....it is not just size of stadiums that FIFA looks at but quality.

4-4-2 magazine had a story about the cost of Brazil's stadiums running out of control ( http://fourfourtwo.com/news/worldcup/98790/default.aspx ) in the story they compared it to the cost of South Africa and Germany.

So, given our national attitude to financing sports facilities....ask yourself if, in the Canada we know, there will be financing of between $1.5B and $3.7B just for stadiums (forgetting other infrastructure/organizing costs).

15. Automation Gallery

Automation Gallery Superstar

Oh please, stop you're "doom and gloom" regarding Canadian/Toronto sports bids