News   Apr 25, 2024
 395     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Canadian Soccer Association to bid for 2026 World Cup

There's no soccer planned for Toronto as part of the Pan Am games. It's all being held in Hamilton.

I meant the ability to host a successful international sporting event in general. Toronto hasn't really had the opportunity before now. It's the planning and coordination that really matters. The actual sport being played, while still an important factor, isn't the most relevant. A well-run multi-sport competition I would think would be worth more to the FIFA selection committee than an average or poorly run soccer tournament.

Last edited:
I meant the ability to host a successful international sporting event in general. Toronto hasn't really had the opportunity before now. It's the planning and coordination that really matters. The actual sport being played, while still an important factor, isn't the most relevant. A well-run multi-sport competition I would think would be worth more to the FIFA selection committee than an average or poorly run soccer tournament.
Is the FIFA Women's World Cup that much more complex than the FIFA Men's U-20 World Cup which Canada hosted 5 years ago, and has similar venues and number of matches to the Women's World Cup. The only real difference is that Winnipeg has replaced Victoria and Moncton has replaced Toronto.

The total attendance for the Men's U-20 Word Cup was 1,195,000 compared to 845,751 for the last Women's World Cup in Germany last year.

Last edited:
I think FIFA would be/is happy to have country like Canada that can host its "secondary" events like the U-20 and the WWC and produce a good tournament and attendances making those events look big time.

Just as the IOC likes that we stage good winter Olympics and the IIHF loves the way we do World Juniors.

I don't think these events are stepping stones to the WC as many of the elements of staging them (stadiums etc) are completely different. How does getting 10k to some matches in Moncton or 15k in Winnipeg prove anything about our ability to build enough stadiums (in enough different cities) of sufficient size to host a WC?

They are separate and distinct events and I think FIFA are well aware that we can pull off a WWC as good as any nation.

Hi to everyone living in the great City of Toronto! I had to register here just to get something off my chest. I was born here in Toronto and have travelled to many stadiums and arenas across the globe. I have to say that we here in Toronto think very " small " compared to the other cities of our size. I don't know if it's a we're not America way of thinking that's keeping us from doing things other Metropolises do, for example: BMO Field...
14904651-toronto-canada-august-6-2012--the-bmo-field-stadium-in-toronto.jpg
3488789627_7f9406208a_z.jpg

This is a fine stadium... for Winnipeg...

1297428821862_ORIGINAL.jpg
7083_588927524473546_349643932_n.jpg

How does this happen? Why do we Torontonians put up with cheap, wasteful and poorly run organizations ( MLSE, ROGERS, BELL) and City councillors who always look for the "small town" solutions for stadiums and skyscrapers. We the fourth largest city( behind New York, Mexico City and Los Angeles) can't even produce a winning team. We "TORONTO" need to start thinking "BIG" like New York and Los Angeles, and stop thinking like we are at the same level as the rest of Canada because we are not, we are much bigger. We need to get the Olympics, World Cup, Expo ext... We need to build proper transportation in the city, yes that means subways and LRT's that connect people to where they want to go. We need Supertalls to let the rest of the World know we are a major player and bring there business headquarters here! We need big media hubs to mention us in the same breath as New York, London, Paris, Tokyo, Rome and Hong Kong. Just venting!

Attachments

• 14904651-toronto-canada-august-6-2012--the-bmo-field-stadium-in-toronto.jpg
    14904651-toronto-canada-august-6-2012--the-bmo-field-stadium-in-toronto.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 414
  • 3488789627_7f9406208a_z.jpg
    3488789627_7f9406208a_z.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 564
  • 1297428821862_ORIGINAL.jpg
    1297428821862_ORIGINAL.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 560
  • 7083_588927524473546_349643932_n.jpg
    7083_588927524473546_349643932_n.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 525
I'm sure when people think of Rome, London, and Paris, the first thing that comes to mind is supertalls!!11

Does the stadium in Winnipeg have a retractable roof?

RC8 Winnipegs Stadium does not have a retractable roof, but it sure is nice because they spent money on it. BMO field is a joke of a stadium, i'm embarrassed of it compared to other stadiums. Why does everything in this City need to be done in the cheapest way possible? Toronto lacks Alpha City class. What we produce in terms of our buildings, stadiums, transportation, public areas and so on, are a reflection of us as a city. Are we Toronto the cheap! Are we not one of the worlds biggest economical cities? Why do we act like we are a small city like Albany, when in reality we are very much like New York, Chicago and Los Angeles? How do we not have money in this city? It's all BS! Why are all our sports teams crap? It does reflect the us the people because those teams represent our city. We need to be "PLAYERS" in every major global events like New York, Paris, London, Tokyo and so on. Toronto needs to keep growing and flex it's muscles and never back down from the cities i just mentioned. I love this city! I want this city to be the best in the World!

BMO cost $63million to build

IG Field cost $200million

Why does everything in this City need to be done in the cheapest way possible? Toronto lacks Alpha City class.

Why all the bull?

Skydome the cheapest way possible? It was nearly $600 million a quarter-century ago! It would be pushing a $billion to build these days.

Does the CN Tower seem to be an embarrassment compared to similar communication towers in other cities?

We are currently spending about $1 billion in renovations in and around Union station (subway, rail station, rail shed, new Path connection to NW corner of station). Does that seem cheap?

And what does this have to do with the CSA? Obviously Canada has no chance on a World Cup men's soccer bid anytime in the next few decades. That's nothing to do with Toronto.

We the fourth largest city( behind New York, Mexico City and Los Angeles) can't even produce a winning team.

I realize you're just frustrated and venting, but the Argonauts are Grey Cup champions on the 100th anniversary of our national championship. Perhaps we could start acknowledging what we do have instead of continuously assuming the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Torontonians always seem in a hurry to sing the praises of that beyond our borders yet rarely notices the diamond in the rough right in front of them.

Last edited:
Why all the bull?

Skydome the cheapest way possible? It was nearly $600 million a quarter-century ago! It would be pushing a $billion to build these days.

Does the CN Tower seem to be an embarrassment compared to similar communication towers in other cities?

We are currently spending about $1 billion in renovations in and around Union station (subway, rail station, rail shed, new Path connection to NW corner of station). Does that seem cheap?

And what does this have to do with the CSA? Obviously Canada has no chance on a World Cup men's soccer bid anytime in the next few decades. That's nothing to do with Toronto.

That's my point. Skydome was at one point the best in the World alpha stadium, we built it here in Toronto, the World was all goo goo ga ga over it. The same goes for the CN Tower. What have we done in the past 25 or so years to make the World look at us and say Wow look at Toronto! The answer is nothing. No significant architectural designs ( no imagination ) with our new buildings, the same transportation system we have always had with the addition of a useless subway line on Sheppard. Some of the comments i've read already sound like those people are content with the mediocrity of the city planning and it's teams. ( The Argos are no diamond in the rough, they are a small town team playing in a big city. We nee the best, aka: NFL ).

Look Canada can host the World Cup, and it would do wonders for our nation and our City in general. The reason we might fail to get it is because we believe we can't host it. In the words of Obama: YES WE CAN!

That's my point. Skydome was at one point the best in the World alpha stadium, we built it here in Toronto, the World was all goo goo ga ga over it. The same goes for the CN Tower. What have we done in the past 25 or so years to make the World look at us and say Wow look at Toronto! The answer is nothing. No significant architectural designs ( no imagination ) with our new buildings, the same transportation system we have always had with the addition of a useless subway line on Sheppard. Some of the comments i've read already sound like those people are content with the mediocrity of the city planning and it's teams. ( The Argos are no diamond in the rough, they are a small town team playing in a big city. We nee the best, aka: NFL ).

Many people worldwide really don't care about sports and stadiums, and have barely even heard of the NFL.

Look Canada can host the World Cup, and it would do wonders for our nation and our City in general. The reason we might fail to get it is because we believe we can't host it. In the words of Obama: YES WE CAN!

Ok...why not explain to us how "we can".....gives us the proposal. Specifically, tell us where the 12 or so stadiums of over 40k with grass and no competing tenants during 6 or so weeks in the summer will be (please, in formulating your proposal, remember that they have to be spread over about 10 or so cities).....during that discussion, you might want to address where the bigger stadiums (70 - 100k capacity) will be (probably need 3 or so to be over 70k and at least one in the 80 - 100k range).

Once you have completed that part of the exercise, you might also explain how the financing/funding of that massive amount of stadium construction is going to be funded. You are right, the Winnipeg stadium is lovely.....but even at its 200 million cost, it does not support a world cup bid....just too small.

I would love nothing better than for a world cup to be hosted in Canada....it just ain't gonna happen.

Just curious on the timing of this ranting/posting.....by any chance are you a football fan that went to BMO for the first time last night and was surprised how "spartan" a facility it is?

( The Argos are no diamond in the rough, they are a small town team playing in a big city. We nee the best, aka: NFL ).

Why, So 60,000 people who got free tickets because their company bought them can sit on their hands or play with their cell phones at the same place?

Most people in Toronto like yourself know NOTHING about football. They bet on the NFL because the likes of a few teams year after year have good seasons.

I'm a huge football fan of both leagues, and entertainment value wise, NFL will rarely beat the CFL on a game by game basis. But hey, if people like 7-10 minute drives that result in a punt. Go ahead and enjoy.

Toronto NFL team would be a worse failure than Jacksonville, There is no support for minor, or University football and more leagues of all age groups in Ottawa than Toronto. NFL isn't coming to Toronto.
Your probably also a TFC fan, which makes your comment hypocritical, 7th best soccer league vs best Canadian rules football league (or 2nd, if you broaden your definition of Football).

Back