News   Jul 05, 2024
 3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 709     0 

CampusCommon (50 Gerrard E, student rental @ Church St, 12s, Burgess)

It does look nice. Unfortunately it clashes with the colour and texture of the rest of the building. In fact, because it is nice, it clashes with the rest of the building.

I have grave concerns about the sage-coloured glass panels on the third floor. They go well with the brick I suppose but I'm not sure how they will interact with the madness above. I'm seriously flummoxed by this building. I don't have the hate-on for it that so many on this forum seem to have. Nor am I throwing my hat in the air over it. I also will wait until it is completed before committing myself.

This is similar to how the new Peel Region housing tower on John Street in downtown Brampton (U/C) will look (same idea too, small units for seniors and transitional housing), but it doesn't include the colour mismatch, if I recall correctly.

Oh, my, well, look at the brick! Well that changes everything! We shouldn't have passed judgement so early!

Ugh!

The only thing that could improve this monstrous zit that won't pop at Church and Gerrard would be a flaming wrecking ball!

DSCN0665.jpg

DSCN0664.jpg

DSCN0666.jpg

There, that looks better. Easier on the optic nerves

DSCN0665.jpg

Can you imagine what that things going to look like when the paint starts to become weather-beaten?

Can you imagine what that things going to look like when the paint starts to become weather-beaten?

And when the exterior walls start to buckle, bubble or swell? Oh - that's already happening to a section on the south side.

How many people are working on this site?

The real tragedy here is that it is probably taking away much needed labour from so many other worthy projects that are stalled and waiting. (Murano, for example?)

(Not that student housing isn't worthy... just not this piece of crap).

Good point. This monstrosity went up so quickly. Murano continues to crawl along, apparently short of trade workers and this place goes from demolition of existing homes to where it is now in under a year.

How long does it take for ivy to cover a building that size? Maybe if we plant now, and water compulsively with MiracleGro....

How long does it take for ivy to cover a building that size? Maybe if we plant now, and water compulsively with MiracleGro....

Brilliant St. Even! Guerrilla Ivy Gardening... any volunteers to help me?! :D

Not to mention that ivy is actually quite destructive to bricks and mortar. A dense layer of English ivy would cause this building to deteriorate even more quickly than it apparently already is.

Aggressive English ivy can harm homes, trees

Bill

I learned that in my last place. We had a green roof and I was involved on the gardening committee. We thought Ivy would be a cool touch behind and around the fountain/fish pond until we learned what damage some species of Ivy does to brick and mortar over time. It came out soon afterwards.

Back