News   Apr 15, 2024
 992     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 658     0 

Cabbagetown

I think they/he has been spotted recently in a local ice cream shop.

BTW Dilla, will the new HOP location be any larger than their current?

Beez is connected to Mot? Heh.

I haven't been inside the CCAC, so I don't know how big it is, but with how busy the HOP has been the last 6 months (I often can't get in for a lack of seating), I'd say they'd have to have a bigger place. Maybe they'll be using the upper floors?

I'll do some "research" this weekend, I'm sure.

In case anyone missed it, "Old Cabbagetown" is to be officially renamed "Cabbagetown". *GASP*

The only thing that concerns me about this is that the remaining old Toronto style street signs in the area will be replaced with the new style signs, complete with something tacky cooked up by the BIA in the upper band.

I think it makes sense to simplify it to Cabbagetown, but I totally agree about the street signs. Cabbagetown feels like a village and the current signs suit the area well. For the most part they're still in good condition. I hope we don't end up with those ugly blue things the city is pushing now.

I think it makes sense to simplify it to Cabbagetown, but I totally agree about the street signs. Cabbagetown feels like a village and the current signs suit the area well. For the most part they're still in good condition. I hope we don't end up with those ugly blue things the city is pushing now.

One of Toronto's charms is its lack of uniformity, in that it's a collection of distinct neighborhoods. This street-sign replacement program just shows how out-of-touch City Hall is with the actual city. Maybe this is their way of weaving a common thread throughout Toronto, but it's a shitty way to do it.

(yes, I realize the common-signs reduce maintenance/replacement costs etc).

Anyone know what's going on with the water-related work they're doing? West Winchester, and north Ontario St. are a mess.

Also, "Copper" a new Global/ABC television series is going to be filming in the area this week.

Anyone know what's going on with the water-related work they're doing? West Winchester, and north Ontario St. are a mess.

Funny you should mention it, my friend and I were walking down Aberdeen to Ontario St. on Sunday evening, and I noticed all the impromptu above ground plumbing. I have no idea what it's about. If I had to guess, I'd say one of the main pipes is screwed, and this is a work around until the crew which is able to fix it is available.

There was a fire on top of the renovated Winchester Hotel at Winchester and Parliament. 10 engines responded, including two with cranes... Parliament was closed from Carlton to Amelia. It was quite the show.

^ I saw that, of course. I was really worried that there would be major damage to what is arguably the nicest building on the strip. Seems that it will be ok. From what I hear, they were doing renovations to the roof, sounds like one of the contractors is going to be in trouble (assuming someone forgot to turn something off up there).

^ I saw that, of course. I was really worried that there would be major damage to what is arguably the nicest building on the strip. Seems that it will be ok. From what I hear, they were doing renovations to the roof, sounds like one of the contractors is going to be in trouble (assuming someone forgot to turn something off up there).

It felt odd hanging out on the corner of Parliament & Winchester and watching. For a moment, we were all members of the scooter-crew.

I've been going to a few open houses in Cabbagetown lately. My wife loves the area, but I've always been hesitant. One of the biggest problems I see is the lack of parking. As a result, we've been looking exclusively at homes with laneway parking, but I haven't been able to find out, after asking several realtors, who is responsible for clearing the snow in laneways? Is it the city or the homeowners? If it's the homeowners, do neighbours get together to hire a snow removal company? With the past couple of winters, I can see a lot of problems with getting a car through a laneay. How do people in Cabbagetown deal with this issue?

I've been going to a few open houses in Cabbagetown lately. My wife loves the area, but I've always been hesitant. One of the biggest problems I see is the lack of parking. As a result, we've been looking exclusively at homes with laneway parking, but I haven't been able to find out, after asking several realtors, who is responsible for clearing the snow in laneways? Is it the city or the homeowners? If it's the homeowners, do neighbours get together to hire a snow removal company? With the past couple of winters, I can see a lot of problems with getting a car through a laneay. How do people in Cabbagetown deal with this issue?

No one knows, because no one does it. Once you get the initial tire tracks down, they stay down. I once damaged my car navigating the 90 degree turn in the laneway behind my house, but other than that one time, I haven't had any major problems.

So if you want it cleared, you'll probably have to do it yourself.

It depends on what you mean by "laneway". Some laneways in Cabbagetown are official city streets, some are not. I lived near Flagler Street, which was a laneway with only garages, but it was a city street. The city would send trucks with salters and a small plow down after it snowed (usually a day after).

But Roy G Biv is right, people moslty rely on driving in the tracks.

Remember that on average, Toronto does not get much snow in the winter. There is usually less than 10 days each winter where there is enough snow to cause problems.

I actually rented an underground garage spot in a condo near Jarvis and Wellesley. I rarely used the car, but was happy to walk there in the snow but have a car that was clean and ready to drive when necessary.

Last edited:

Back