News   Apr 26, 2024
 478     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 363     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 566     0 

Cabbagetown

I'm an old fart and I need to rest every few blocks. I also like sitting on benches, watching people and enjoying my city. Something wrong with that? Just because a few bums might use a bench every now and then, am I supposed to stop doing things I enjoy? Oh yeah, only the people in Yorkville have the privilege to enjoy their city, I get it.

SCREW THAT!

I completely agree. Although I almost never use public benches myself, I see them as an important fixture. They say "you do not have to pay to sit on a private patio to enjoy this community."

Unfortunately it would seem that many Cabbagetowners would rather focus on punishing the scooter crew than on building a pleasant neighbourhood. Apparently only certain classes are entitled to linger in the public realm.

We really need to be planting more trees in Cabbagetown, otherwise when all these 100-200yr old Oaks, Maples and Chestnuts start falling down, we'll have no canopy for future generations of Cabbagetowners. Myself, I've planted two oak trees, two maples and two chestnut trees on my tiny lot. They won't all make it, but the odds are some will.

The same situation happened to my parents in their old neighbourhood in Hamilton. It was a very large planned community (religious at first!) circa 1910. It was farm land before being developed, so almost all the trees dated back to the same year everything was built. One day a big tree came down across the street and they worried about a sudden die off of all the trees around their house. They had none on their property, so they went and planted six, two in front and four in the back, hoping at least two would make it.

Now, about 15-20 years later, all the other trees surrounding their house have since died off, but fortunately, two did survive and have restored the canopy around their house. Unfortunately, the other four they planted have also thrived, and now they have too many growing in one space! Their backyard has become permanently shaded, so they plan to cut down at least two in the near future so at least half of it can get sunlight most of the day.

Did it hit a house?

Nope. It was actually just a branch (a major one), and it landed on the car-less side of the street... I think property damage was minimal. It took them all day to clean it up, and even today, there was a City worker inspecting the rest of the tree.

Starbucks condos status

What's up with those condos above the Starbucks? It's been months since Starbucks opened. Does the owner not want to make money? The TD across the street will have been built from scratch and opened before these condos at the rate they're going.

I've never been to Cabbagetown, but from some people I hear it leans towards being upscale, but then from other sources I hear it contains some of the poorest residents in Toronto.

I've never been to Cabbagetown, but from some people I hear it leans towards being upscale, but then from other sources I hear it contains some of the poorest residents in Toronto.

It has both. The west side of Parliament and the south end can be a little sketchy, Parliament Street itself is great from Wellelsey to about Gerrard Street. East of Parliament is what many consider real Cabbagetown. Summer and fall are perfect times to walk through the east side of Parliament Street. Wander the quiet streets with tall, mature trees and check out the restored homes, row-houses and cottages that populate this area. Most take great pride in their gardens which range from tidy and well manicured to English gardens on acid.

Now would be a great time to explore the area with the trees turning. Riverdale Park begins at the east side plus the Riverdale Farm (used to be a zoo way back when) and the Necropolis can also be found where Winchester Street comes to an end.

Highly recommended.

RE: Watermain Work
- There is some makeshift piping associated with the fire hydrant on my street that they left in place when they were laying pipe recently... well, every now and then, I find it emptying tons of water into the street.... I always assumed city workers did this to control pressure or whatnot... However, it seemed like an enormous waste. Then I noticed that there is a latch, that anyone can open or close.. so I closed it... I've done it a couple of times now, because any douchebag on the street could be the one opening it... it's extremely visible, so it's not like you'd have to look for it...

Thoughts? Am I ruining the city?

RE: Watermain Work
- There is some makeshift piping associated with the fire hydrant on my street that they left in place when they were laying pipe recently... well, every now and then, I find it emptying tons of water into the street.... I always assumed city workers did this to control pressure or whatnot... However, it seemed like an enormous waste. Then I noticed that there is a latch, that anyone can open or close.. so I closed it... I've done it a couple of times now, because any douchebag on the street could be the one opening it... it's extremely visible, so it's not like you'd have to look for it...

Thoughts? Am I ruining the city?

When some sewer pipe explodes and billions of gallons of sewage start flowing in the Don, we'll know who to blame.

Independent Cafe?

Hello everyone - just finished reading through this thread, and I'm curious to know how you would all feel about another independant cafe in your midst?

Organic fair-trade coffee and tea, with made in-house baked goods. Open and airy, with a fireplace to warm up by or a nook to people watch in.
There would be books you could read if you forgot to bring one, and locally crafted goods + art displayed and sold in-store.

Do you think a community involved business like this is lacking in Cabbagetown, or would it not be welcomed?

Elizabeth

Hello everyone - just finished reading through this thread, and I'm curious to know how you would all feel about another independant cafe in your midst?

Organic fair-trade coffee and tea, with made in-house baked goods. Open and airy, with a fireplace to warm up by or a nook to people watch in.
There would be books you could read if you forgot to bring one, and locally crafted goods + art displayed and sold in-store.

Do you think a community involved business like this is lacking in Cabbagetown, or would it not be welcomed?

Elizabeth

I don't live in Cabbagetown but nearby. From the vibe I get from the area and the type of folk who live and frequent the area I think an independent cafe as you describe would be very welcomed, and successful. Keep the coffee and snacks fresh and don't forget wi-fi, it's pretty much a cafe prerequisite. Love the art idea, think outside the box and keep an open mind in serving the community and I think it could do well should you find a decent space with reasonable rent.

Back