News   Apr 19, 2024
 169     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 485     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 831     3 

Cabbagetown

I’m glad other parts of the city are beginning to experience what we downtown east folks see all the time.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/midtown-homeless-shelters-covid-19-1.5678552
1597102593172.png

Daycare in historic Cabbagetown building gets the green light

Thu., Aug. 13, 2020

A developer can proceed with plans to found a daycare for 80 children in a historic building in Cabbagetown, a Toronto Local Appeal Body panel has ruled.

--------

The historically designated building is a Victorian era semi-detached, at 459 and 461 Sackville St., at the corner of Amelia Street. A city committee of adjustment had previously refused to permit variances that would have allowed a daycare to open in the space.

It was appealed to the TLAB, which is made up of locally appointed members who makes decisions about local planning matters affecting Toronto neighbourhoods.

The man behind the daycare project, Robert Ulicki, the sole owner of Clareste Wealth Management Inc., appealed, and on Thursday, claimed victory. He said he decided to work on getting a daycare into the building after a neighbourhood woman said one was needed in the area.

Making progress on the exterior restoration work on these buildings at Parliament just south of Wellesley:

20200830_080854.jpg

Not sure how this restaurant name was chosen...

20200830_080839.jpg

While work continues at the building where Tim's is located at Parliament & Winchester:

20200830_081113.jpg
20200830_081212.jpg
20200830_081259.jpg

It feels like the restoration work on the old Winchester Hotel (now Tim Hortons) building has been going on FOREVER. Let's hope they're near the finish line.

Daycare in historic Cabbagetown building gets the green light

Thu., Aug. 13, 2020

A developer can proceed with plans to found a daycare for 80 children in a historic building in Cabbagetown, a Toronto Local Appeal Body panel has ruled.

--------

The historically designated building is a Victorian era semi-detached, at 459 and 461 Sackville St., at the corner of Amelia Street. A city committee of adjustment had previously refused to permit variances that would have allowed a daycare to open in the space.

It was appealed to the TLAB, which is made up of locally appointed members who makes decisions about local planning matters affecting Toronto neighbourhoods.

The man behind the daycare project, Robert Ulicki, the sole owner of Clareste Wealth Management Inc., appealed, and on Thursday, claimed victory. He said he decided to work on getting a daycare into the building after a neighbourhood woman said one was needed in the area.

I still get why a neighbourhood daycare needs parking whatsoever. If it‘s in your neighbourhood you can walk there.

Attachments

• 1599734334910.png
    1599734334910.png
    270.1 KB · Views: 314
Some restored brickwork now visible on the building on Parliament just south of Wellesley:

20201011_111544.jpg

Also with the old Winchester Hotel building:

20201011_111816.jpg
20201011_111832.jpg

From Kristyn Wong'Tam's newsletter

Community Corner in Ward 13
Late this Summer, Toronto City Planning began the Cabbagetown Southwest Heritage Conservation District (HCD) Plan project, which follows the study completed in 2019 which recommended the area be designated an HCD. The District’s proposed boundaries will include the residential area located from the rear of the properties on the south side of Carlton Street on the north, the east side of Sherbourne Street on the west, the north side of Shuter St. on the south, and the rear of the properties fronting on Parliament Street to the east. By designating, or listing properties as heritage, the City of Toronto can protect Toronto’s rich architectural history.

City Planning is currently seeking volunteers who are interested in contributing to the project and who live, or work, in the Cabbagetown South neighbourhood to participate in the project’s advisory group. If this is something you’re interested in, I would encourage you to apply.

The group will be composed of 8-12 members and will meet virtually or by phone, four to six times in one-hour meetings between November 2020 and March 2021. Applications are due by Wednesday, October 28, 2020. Learn more about the project here.

If you have any questions, you can reach out to Alex Corey, Senior Heritage Planner at Alex.Corey@toronto.ca, or by calling 416-338-1092.

Some retail for sale. Wing Machine is an eyesore, but Absolute Bakery needs to stay! 209 Carlton might be at risk of becoming a homeless shelter.

Last edited:
The Esso gas station site at 581 Parliament Street (corner with Amelia St) is being listed for sale as a residential redevelopment opportunity:

View attachment 295090
This is a fantastic news! It will be the beginning of great developments on Parliament St. That Esso has been a blight on the neighbourhood for decades. I can only assume that with the approaching end of gas powered cars it makes sense to divest from gas stations.

I‘ve heard that Circle K is also closing the gas station at Parliament and Richmond, but I’ll need to confirm.

This is a fantastic news! It will be the beginning of great developments on Parliament St. That Esso has been a blight on the neighbourhood for decades. I can only assume that with the approaching end of gas powered cars it makes sense to divest from gas stations.

I‘ve heard that Circle K is also closing the gas station at Parliament and Richmond, but I’ll need to confirm.
Though I do not drive much, I think that sooner or later 'they' will realise that drivers (or their cars) will need to buy gas for a good while longer and there is STILL a need for gas stations. The stations at Front & Sherbourne and Church & Dundas are already definitely going (or at least there are applications on both site)

Back