News   Apr 24, 2024
 963     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 623     0 

Cabbagetown

Update on the Riverdale Sloped Path
City Staff were delayed due to waiting on the final comments from Metrolinx on the 90% design [earlier here I wrote that the design was 100% complete - I was incorrect].
TIMELINES:
  • June 2019 – Comments were received from Metrolinx on the 90% design plans for the ramp.
  • June/July 2019 – Comments were reviewed by staff and Consultant team to determine a way forward and respond to Metrolinx.
  • The comments from Metrolinx on the 90% design plans included two significant new engineering studies that had not been previously requested. These include a Rail Hazard Assessment Study and an Integration of Electrification Requirements Study.
    • The new studies require additional funding to be allocated to the Consultant's purchase order. In the interim the Consultant team was directed by Divisional partners to proceed with the additional work.
    • A purchase order adjustment is in process for adding the funds to the Consultant's purchase order.
    • The two new studies are expected to be completed by October 2019.
    • Design refinements will continue to end of year with project tender anticipated in January 2020.
    • Construction expected to start spring 2020 with completion before end of 2020 (weather depending)

--------

^Michael Holloway
      - slightly edited for this post - via Councillor Paula Fletcher's Constituency Assistant, Nicolas Valverde.

Images via "Lower Don Access Sloped Path Stakeholder Meeting July 19, 2018": https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/9742-lower-don-trail-improvements-stakeholder-meeting-july-2018.pdf

Source:

Source:

It's amazing how long it takes the city and province to build a bicycle ramp.

Just get on with it, https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/u...mprovements-stakeholder-meeting-july-2018.pdf

Neat loft space at 263 Seaton St, a historic retrofit building which used to be the home of the Toronto Evening Telegram newspaper:

If I was a single guy I'd sell my three level semi in CT for this. I like the minimalism this loft could support, but I don't want a condo.

Looks like the womens shelter is coming. Got a notice in the mail from the city.

We need to help our fellow man, but I must have over 50% of the city's emergency shelters within a 4 km radius of my house. I'd like the homeless industrial complex to spread across the city. It's chicken and egg, of course the homeless congregate where the services are, and vice versa. But let's put the services across the city hand see what happens.

Looks like the womens shelter is coming. Got a notice in the mail from the city.

We need to help our fellow man, but I must have over 50% of the city's emergency shelters within a 4 km radius of my house. I'd like the homeless industrial complex to spread across the city. It's chicken and egg, of course the homeless congregate where the services are, and vice versa. But let's put the services across the city hand see what happens.
This Resource Centre is not a typical City Shelter and it seems to cause very few neighbourhood problems where it is now (Adelaide & Church). The City are moving it because it needs more space.

"The Adelaide Resource Centre for Women offers a safe, welcoming place for all women. The goal is to aid women who are homeless, socially alone and isolated, or in need of assistance. The Resource Centre is home to a number of social and government agencies that help women access healthcare, housing, laundry, shower facilities and phones. There are also classes in life skills and social activities.

A Drop-In for women is operated by Fred Victor out of this location. Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, staff welcome all women who come through the doors and provides them with:

• A place to rest
  • Meals
  • Service referrals
This program also provides necessities such as toiletries and hygiene products, and other items."

What's up with 18 Gifford St. This place has been vacant and seemingly abandoned since I moved to Cabbagetown in 1998. With a desperate shortage of housing it doesn't seem right to leave this apartment building vacant for two decades.

IMG_20200424_1656268.jpg

IMG_20200424_1656461.jpg

IMG_20200424_1655509.jpg

Here's the same property in 1930.

gifford-st-1930.jpg

"This handsome, homey-looking building was the new site of the Neighbourhood Workers Association or, as it was also known, “Kemp House.". By either name, its purpose remained the same – to provide aid to the city’s most vulnerable. Namely, unwed mothers, the unemployed, the homeless and the intemperate."

Last edited:
Looks good though, still on the outside.

New roof as well, from what I can see.

Someone fix it, and by "fix it" I mean start with that disgusting siding.

Back