News   Jun 21, 2024
 95     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 273     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 410     0 

Cabbagetown

HP Sauce is made in Canada or Belgium now, so no Royal Warrant anymore.

Can a product lose its Royal Warrent simply because it is made in another Commonwealth realm?

Just to keep on topic of this thread, could a product made in Cabbagetown theoretically qualify for a Royal Warrant? Given that it's our royal family too.

(n.b. For those who like their English products, the basement level of Holts is now selling Fortnum & Mason, Selfridges and Charbonnel & Walker for the Christmas season. I am not the biggest Fortnum fan - Murchie's here in Canada has better teas and lemon curd, for example - but I have a soft spot for Fortmason tea, and their biscuit tins make nice gifts. Also nice selection of Mariage Frères teas.)

In other news, I had a cask ale at the House on Parliament this week just after they put it on. Usually they chill the ale down so much it loses its flavor, but this pint was nice and warm! I wish they served warm ale all the time.

Oh man. Had a nice, slightly below room temperature, lightly carbonated cask ale at the HoP back in early summer. I was in heaven. The first and only time I've had a pint in Canada which actually reminded me of ordering a pint of bitter in London.

Last edited:
Oh man. Had a nice, slightly below room temperature, lightly carbonated cask ale at the HoP back in early summer. I was in heaven. The first and only time I've had a pint which actually reminded me of ordering a pint of bitter in London.

I've been known to rest my too-cold pint on a radiator in winter, just to bring the temp up and the flavor back.

My staple beer at home these days is the Amsterdam Big Wheel ale ($31 for 25 at the brewery). I keep it at room temperature in the living room cabinet. In the right glass, it comes close to recreating a classic London pint in terms of color, texture, and taste.

Are there other pubs in Toronto where one can get a "warm one"?

That's cool. My 30th birthday present was a Triumph TR6 for 24 hours in Norfolk...the blokiest car ever built!
TR6 is IMO the best looking Triumph motorcar, with the Stag a close second.

Here's my bike.

IMG00385-20110403-13192.jpg

Attachments

• IMG00385-20110403-13192.jpg
    IMG00385-20110403-13192.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 415
Are there other pubs in Toronto where one can get a "warm one"?
I actually find it hard to find many pubs in Toronto selling English beer. There's nothing more annoying pub-wise when asking for an English beer and being offered Guinness.

I used to love Double Diamond at Mike's Place pub back in the early 1990s at Carleton http://gsacarleton.ca/mikes-place/

Well yes, but I'm not an overly sensitive idiot, quick to see offense where instead a genuine expression of shared interest is intended.
Sounds more to me like you want a UK store with Canadian-style service, instead of the really horrid customer service that is typical in the UK.

If you can't handle the genuine article, I'd go shop at Wally World.

Sounds as though I need to take a good walk in the neighbourhood, I hadn't noticed the UK Tuck Shop either, even though I'm a regular on the Parliament bus and 506, and often change at either Carlton or Gerrard.

As for British-esque food, I buy my (made in Canada?) Marmite at No Frills. HP Sauce is made in Canada or Belgium now, so no Royal Warrant anymore. I still have my Fullers London Pride at HOP.
The marmite in Canadian stores is a different formulation - though I can't really tell the difference. The British stuff is now difficult to find in Canada, because of the added vitamins and minerals - seems to be grey market. The regular HP Sauce is made in Canada, but the other types (I like the Fruity on bacon, though prefer the regular on sausage) was discontinued in Canada a few years ago, and not stocked at Empire (near Queen and Broadview) which I frequent ... though I find it in a few other places, like the store on Donlands, just south of O'Connor - but that's a bit of a trek, if I'm not already up that way.

Last edited:
Can a product lose its Royal Warrent simply because it is made in another Commonwealth realm?

Just to keep on topic of this thread, could a product made in Cabbagetown theoretically qualify for a Royal Warrant? Given that it's our royal family too.
Good question. I know that HP Sauce lost their RW because of public outrage when the new owners of HP closed the centuries old plant to move the production to Belgium.

Some info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Warrant_of_Appointment_(United_Kingdom). It's basically at the whim of the Crown. If the Queen or upper levels of the family like your product and agree to use it, you can ask for a royal warrant. For example, I use Windsor aftershave, and so does the Duke of Edinburgh and the Prince of Wales, so both RWs are on the label.

9jn5S1S.jpg

http://www.royalwarrant.org/rwha-search Nine RW in Europe outside of Britain
http://www.royalwarrant.org/rwha-search There appear to be only three RW outside Europe and Britain.

None in Canada. That's a shame. Maybe we can be the Royal provider of Beaver Tails or Asbestos.

Attachments

• 9jn5S1S.jpg
    9jn5S1S.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 501
A royal warrant doesn't mean that the person who gave the warrant uses the product, only that they buy something or other from the company who makes it. For example, that's The Queen's warrant on your aftershave, but I doubt HM goes about scented as you do.

Last edited:
Exactly. He might be buying them for staff or guests. Or perhaps the maker bakes the crumpets he adores. They could put the warrant all over their Beaver Tail packaging.

I actually find it hard to find many pubs in Toronto selling English beer. There's nothing more annoying pub-wise when asking for an English beer and being offered Guinness.

I used to love Double Diamond at Mike's Place pub back in the early 1990s at Carleton http://gsacarleton.ca/mikes-place/

The pint of Pride I had at the HoP was a pale reflection of the stuff I had in EC2/EC1, but I've managed to find some substitutes. Some craft ales - Junction Conductor's Ale comes to mind - are able to recreate it. I'd rather have a Canadian pint at a British temperature, than a British pint poured frigid.

I think we can all agree that British beer is a great option...

...when Germany and Belgium aren't on tap.

I get my British/Irish goods from "A Bit of Home" in Mississauga.

They do next day delivery in the GTA as well on their website

Back