News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 722     0 

Cabbagetown

Not true. I've had one 24-hour suspension in the last 6 years related to a joke I made, that apparently others didn't think was as funny. In the same time period, I've received two other warnings - one recently for simply repeating a 4-letter word another poster used. And one in early 2011 for pointing out that Rob Ford appeared to be a racist. Though I don't see why this needs to be discussed here.

That's not true nfitz.

If nfitz hasn't engaged in inappropriate behaviour in this discussion, it is unclear why a past issue(s) was raised, why we are discussing or, more to the point, why we are debating it.

Last edited:
If nfitz hasn't engaged in inappropriate behaviour in this discussion, it is unclear why a past issue(s) was raised, why we are discussing or, more to the point, why we are debating it.
Because bullying and name calling has become acceptable now in Ford's Toronto.

That's not true nfitz.
That's the only suspension I recall in 6 years - oh wait, was it 7 days, not 24 hours? There was one suspension longer ago than 6 years that ... can't recall the details. Oh, I did have a 0-point infraction for insulting someone in April 2010 - my only infraction here ever. Not sure why there's a need to discuss that here. Either way, implying I've been banned multiple times this year alone, is clearly a gross exaggeration. Not sure why same poster is allowed to call me an idiot in this thread, and then start going off-topic to discuss stuff like this.

Can we go back to discussing the growing of cabbages?

Last edited:
Sigh, what a......

I thought I'd share some interesting CT links that I use to stay aware of Cabbagetown issues.

http://cabbagetownreview.blogspot.ca/ A great reference to the goings on in CT
http://cabbagetowner.com/ Cabbagetown resident's association
http://oldcabbagetown.com/ Local BIA page
http://www.cabbagetownpa.ca/ The local preservation association (responsible for protecting so many of the great old homes in the area)
http://www.cabbagetownsouth.ca/ Residents' Association for those in what's referred to as South Cabbagetown (these folks have unique challenges)

Something I've been meaning to ask for years.

About 20 years ago, I was doing some work on the building (stores) at the northeast corner of Carlton and Ontario. My colleague bumped into the neighbour, Ernst Zundel of 206 Carlton Street. I missed talking to him, but my colleague said he was very friendly - even gave him a tour of his offices - typewriters and printing machines was the description I got. Zundel was deported from Canada and imprisoned in Germany years ago for racial hatred.

However, when I pass, the house still looks like - well a biker gang HQ to tell the truth. Steel doors, bars on windows, etc.

I assume that Zundel isn't returning to Canada (with confirmation in 2010 from the government that he "is inadmissible on security grounds for being a danger to the security of Canada".

Who owns the building these days? What business operates there? I can't help but wonder when I go past.

Something I've been meaning to ask for years.

About 20 years ago, I was doing some work on the building (stores) at the northeast corner of Carlton and Ontario. My colleague bumped into the neighbour, Ernst Zundel of 206 Carlton Street. I missed talking to him, but my colleague said he was very friendly - even gave him a tour of his offices - typewriters and printing machines was the description I got. Zundel was deported from Canada and imprisoned in Germany years ago for racial hatred.

However, when I pass, the house still looks like - well a biker gang HQ to tell the truth. Steel doors, bars on windows, etc.

I assume that Zundel isn't returning to Canada (with confirmation in 2010 from the government that he "is inadmissible on security grounds for being a danger to the security of Canada".

Who owns the building these days? What business operates there? I can't help but wonder when I go past.

This article from 2006 says it has new owners and is occupied by "college student types" now: http://spacing.ca/toronto/2006/02/22/206-carlton/

Shopped today at London Calling, the new UK themed shop on Carlton St. west of Parliament. I have to say I was disappointed with the employee and overall the experience. I'm a British born Canuck and you could tell when I walked in that I was a raving fan of all things British. However the staffer couldn't have cared less, didn't make eye contact, didn't get off his chair and just gave an unenthusiastic hello to my greeting. While I looked around with obvious interest, the staffer just watched his laptop or tablet. When I made my purchase the staffer again couldn't care less AFAICT, just bagged my purchase in a generic bag, without any insert to introduce the store or present call to action (i.e. go to my website, suggest new products, etc).

Folks if you want to run a store front biz you've got to emotionally connect with your customers, especially those who share your enthusiasm for what you're offering. Here's how it should have gone down today. I walk in, showing obvious enthusiasm for the over the top British genre, and you get off your chair, say hello, ask me if this is my first time in the store, I would reply yes, ask me about my interest in British stuff, at which time I mention my UK origins, my youth in the 1970s when my aunts would send me UK sweets and comics in the mail, and you then offer a tour of the small store. I then purchase what I originally wanted, and then also purchase three other items I hadn't intended, all of which you put in a London Calling branded bag and in goes an insert with the website and a call to action. Then I go home and post on Urban Toronto that anyone who liked British themed/origin products should go to London Calling. THIS is what I wanted to report back.....

I've finally been able to check out both London Calling and the UK Tuck Shop.

I found myself on Parliament about 10 AM a couple of weeks ago, and hit the UK Tuck Shop. Price are certainly very good! Though I was a bit disappointed in the range of selection, which was more limited than I expected. However they did have HP Fruity Sauce, which I've been unable to find at Empire the Collection at Queen and Broadview, which is my regular haunt. And they had very reasonably priced Yorkshire Gold tea bags, which have been harder to find since the Sobey's at Front/Sherbourne closed, and at a very good price too (I've seen them in other UK import stores, but significantly more expensive - I've had no problems finding Yorkshore Gold Leaf tea at a good price in Valuemart on Danforth - which is odd, normally leaf is harder to find than bags).

At 10 AM London Calling was closed though. But I found myself back there about 7 pm the other evening, and they were opening (I'd recommend putting a sign on the door with the hours!). I have to say my experience was very different from the Admiral's though. The guy in the store was very friendly and chatty. Almost a bit too so, as I wanted to look closer at the products. The selection was still a bit limited (the same is true at most import stores), but they did have some Marks & Spencer stuff that UK Tuck Shop didn't carry ... and the HP Fruity Sauce. Pricing is steeper than UK Tuck Shop, but not out of line for other import stores.

Comparing these 2 stores to Empire - they all carry somewhat different stuff. I'll likely keep going to Empire (who also have a selection of Marks & Spencer stuff), simply because I pass by it every day. But I'll be popping up to these 2 for some of the other stuff, or if I'm passing.

The best selection I've seen in A Bit of Home out in Mississauga - but I'm seldom out there, and less seldom with a car. I also used to frequent The Chocolate Box on Donlands just south of O'Connor - I used to drive past it frequently, so it was convenient. Less so on transit. They probably have a better selection than any of the 3 stores downtown - but different stuff as well - though I haven't been recently, hmm, and the webpage is down. Another favourite, is the Apple Factory on Highway 7 west of Brampton - well pretty much in Brampton these days, just west of the Mount Pleasant GO station. They've got some different products - but also great pies - the lemon meringue is a favourite at my house (not British per se ... this is more of a small grocery/farm store with a line of UK products. Also a line of Newfoundland products for those looking for such stuff.

With the general limited selection in all the UK import stores downtown (well Cabbagetown and Riverside), and the variability in product availability, having more to choose from is a good thing! Hopefully they all survive!

I'm really liking the baked goods from Absolute Bakery, north of Amelia on Parliament. Great pies, eclairs and fantastic poppyseed buns. Nice family run place. http://www.blogto.com/bakery/absolute-bakery-toronto

20120592absolute-08.jpg

20120592absolute-02.jpg

One of the best things about living downtown is parking the car on Friday and leaving it there until Monday, spending the weekend walking to the local shops.

Attachments

• 20120592absolute-08.jpg
    20120592absolute-08.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 1,220
  • 20120592absolute-02.jpg
    20120592absolute-02.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 585
My wife swears by that place. Going to miss it when I move next month (my waistline won't)

I'm really liking the baked goods from Absolute Bakery, north of Amelia on Parliament. Great pies, eclairs and fantastic poppyseed buns. Nice family run place. http://www.blogto.com/bakery/absolute-bakery-toronto

One of the best things about living downtown is parking the car on Friday and leaving it there until Monday, spending the weekend walking to the local shops.

This place is so legit. Perhaps Cabbagetown's least fancy bakery, but my favorite. A hole if the wall place I wouldn't have wandered in without a recommendation.

The croissants are more bready than buttery (but this is how I like them). They have 3 kinds of roti - beef, chicken, veg - that make a nice quick meal.

This place is so legit. Perhaps Cabbagetown's least fancy bakery, but my favorite. A hole if the wall place I wouldn't have wandered in without a recommendation.

The croissants are more bready than buttery (but this is how I like them). They have 3 kinds of roti - beef, chicken, veg - that make a nice quick meal.

I go here for the beef roti and I can never buy just one. It's damned good.

Back