News   Jul 17, 2024
 354     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 772     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1K     2 

Brampton Transit/Zum

And I wonder how many riders Zum siphoned off of GO's Brampton-YorkU service.

GO isn't really a transit authority, they are a parking authority. They never bothered to serve Bramalea City Centre and chose instead to serve the park-and-ride lot at the train station. So if Zum has taken riders away, I would consider those riders to be new riders.

I think Zum still have a few kinks to work out. I used Zum from York U to Downtown Brampton today, and the bus was 5 minutes late, the driver made 2 4 minute layovers to maintain the schedule, and went out of service at BCC!

Was it the PM rush hour? York U is a mess during that time and understand the padding for that time of day. When I took it on a midday, the bus left on time and while slightly slower than necessary, the trip was smooth and reasonable on Nov 11.

For all those left wing pinkos who ride buses and all that...

An original Brampton Transit pink bus stop sign, phased out in the late 1980s after the bus livery changed from the pink "lazy-b" scheme to a more modern red-and-blue "lazy-b" design (before going through another major revision before the modern Greyhound/TPS swoosh logo in 2006l

5276394702_63f0b174bc_z.jpg

This stop, at Church and Union, has not been used for a long time, as it was the old route of the GO Shuttle "C" (later route 93), abandoned as BT adopted the grid route system in 2006.

Brampton Transit just released the final ridership stats for 2010. Ridership is up over the last two years, nearly 13% and almost 14 million rides.

Proof that service increases (and unlike the YRT up to this year, which finally improved some conventional routes), and not just fancy BRT-lite service draws riders.

Brampton Transit just released the final ridership stats for 2010. Ridership is up over the last two years, nearly 13% and almost 14 million rides.

Proof that service increases (and unlike the YRT up to this year, which finally improved some conventional routes), and not just fancy BRT-lite service draws riders.

Not that YRT has proven that BRT-lite draws riders...

Kind of sad that Brampton Transit could surpass York Region Transit Ridership in a few years.

That said, not all of the +13% ridership gain is from Zum or other 2010 service improvements though. After all, the ridership growth was better in August than it was in September and October. No doubt the economic recovery was a big factor for higher ridership.

WOW... WOW... WOW!!!!! OMGGGGGGG..... :D

http://www.brampton.ca/en/residents/transit/Documents/2011 Proposal Boards_Draft4a_FINAL.pdf

Brampton Transit continues to aggressively expand transit!

HIGHLIGHTS:
- 502 Zum Main runs every 10 minutes during rush hours. Combined express frequency between Square One and Shoppers World is around every 5 minutes! Add MT 19 then you get 3.33 minutes. Add 19A/19B, you get 2.5 minute frequency between Square One and Britannia!!!!
- 502 also runs off-peak (every 20 minutes). Makes me wonder about MT 102 extension or launch of 202 to compliment this...
- 502 runs every 20 minutes during weekends. Does MT have a compliment to this south of Square One?
- 501A Zum Queen-407 now with midday service (for YorkU students). (every 30 minutes)
- 9 Vodden replaces 25 Edenbrook, now runs via Bramalea City Centre, won't serve Mt. Pleasant GO.
- New branch 11A Steeles will run between Shoppers World and Bramalea GO. 11/11A will have a combined frequency of approximately 4.25 minutes. Because of this, BT's 11/11A is now more frequent than the local MT 19/19A/19B service, hence the most frequent local bus service in 905! But, frequencies will slide down with 5XX Zum Steeles.
- 23/23A Sandalwood will run every 10 minutes instead of 15 during rush hours.
- 29 Williams will run every 15 minutes instead of 20 during rush hours.
- 51 Steeles West will run every 10 minutes instead of 15 during rush hours.
- 7/7A Kennedy will run every 7.5 minutes instead of 10 during rush hours.
- Route extensions to Countryside Drive.
- 18A Dixie extended to Trinity Common.
- New Service (56 Credit Valley) to the new development around Creditview, rush hours only (I hope that they choose option A, it would help these residents to connect to Zum 501/501A/502).
- Renumbering the bi-directional loops (like Mississauga does) (32/33 for fromer 22A/22B and 53/54 for former 53A/53B)

Last edited:
WOW... WOW... WOW!!!!! OMGGGGGGG..... :D

http://www.brampton.ca/en/residents/transit/Documents/2011 Proposal Boards_Draft4a_FINAL.pdf

Brampton Transit continues to aggressively expand transit!

HIGHLIGHTS:
- 502 Zum Main runs every 10 minutes during rush hours. Combined express frequency between Square One and Shoppers World is around every 5 minutes! Add MT 19 then you get 3.33 minutes. Add 19A/19B, you get 2.5 minute frequency between Square One and Britannia!!!!
- 502 also runs off-peak (every 20 minutes). Makes me wonder about MT 102 extension or launch of 202 to compliment this...
- 502 runs every 20 minutes during weekends. Does MT have a compliment to this south of Square One?
- 501A Zum Queen-407 now with midday service (for YorkU students). (every 30 minutes)
- 9 Vodden replaces 25 Edenbrook, now runs via Bramalea City Centre, won't serve Mt. Pleasant GO.
- New branch 11A Steeles will run between Shoppers World and Bramalea GO. 11/11A will have a combined frequency of approximately 4.25 minutes. Because of this, BT's 11/11A is now more frequent than the local MT 19/19A/19B service, hence the most frequent local bus service in 905! But, frequencies will slide down with 5XX Zum Steeles.
- 23/23A Sandalwood will run every 10 minutes instead of 15 during rush hours.
- 29 Williams will run every 15 minutes instead of 20 during rush hours.
- 51 Steeles West will run every 10 minutes instead of 15 during rush hours.
- 7/7A Kennedy will run every 7.5 minutes instead of 10 during rush hours.
- Route extensions to Countryside Drive.
- 18A Dixie extended to Trinity Common.
- New Service (56 Credit Valley) to the new development around Creditview, rush hours only (I hope that they choose option A, it would help these residents to connect to Zum 501/501A/502).
- Renumbering the bi-directional loops (like Mississauga does) (32/33 for fromer 22A/22B and 53/54 for former 53A/53B)

First of all, your time for MT is correct to a point and only at the stops where 502 will stop. If 502 only stops at current 102/202, then you need to adjust your time for the rest of the stops between them. North of Britannia will be less at the combine stops, as there are no 19A/B there.

202 service route 19 south of Sq One as well north of it and bypass it 100% only at peak time.

Brampton has out performed MT for a number years, compared to where it was 10 years ago. It shows how far MT is falling behind these days for good service.

First of all, your time for MT is correct to a point and only at the stops where 502 will stop. If 502 only stops at current 102/202, then you need to adjust your time for the rest of the stops between them. North of Britannia will be less at the combine stops, as there are no 19A/B there.

202 service route 19 south of Sq One as well north of it and bypass it 100% only at peak time.

I guess I should have been more specific and more accurate. But thanks!

It is also noteworthy that ONLY 202 will serve Shoppers World, and 19 goes/ends at Hwy 407 Park and Ride. Basically BT is taking back its Brampton passengers from MT and will take more Mississauga passengers (especially on Derry and Britannia) on its way down to Square One for it to be successful.

Brampton has out performed MT for a number years, compared to where it was 10 years ago. It shows how far MT is falling behind these days for good service.

BANG ON! Among all corridors that Mississauga and Brampton share, only Hurontario is the corridor where Mississauga has more frequent buses over Brampton (McLaughlin is a tie).

What happened to MT, YRT and the rest of the 905? When will they get their wake-up call?

I know that there will be more improvements (esp. weekends) than cuts in MT, but if they are gonna run with their magic frequency number "18", it just won't work and expect slower ridership growth.

I think MT and YRT just lack in service frequency, which Brampton is really boosting in.

I observed that Brampton's trunk routes run mostly every 10 minutes or better during rush hours:
Queen, Main (to be reduced with Zum), Chinguacousy, Bovaird, Kennedy (to become 7.5), Torbram, Bramalea, Sandalwood, Airport Road, Steeles West, Zum Main

Meanwhile, many of Mississauga's routes (and branches) play around 18 (15-20). If these routes are around 12 minutes or better (similar to Tomken and Westwood), there will be much less people that will get mad when they get left behind by the bus:
Rathburn, Glen Erin, Mavis, Erin Mills, Mississauga Road, Confederation, Eglinton, Lakeshore, Winston Churchill, Malton Express, Meadowvale Express, Derry, Dixie north of Courtneypark, Dundas west of Mississauga Road, Folkway, Woodlands, Traders, McDowell, Thomas, Meadowvale, Bristol, Kennedy, Cawthra, Windsor Hill, InterCity Express, Oakville Express, Drew, Airport, McLaughlin, Matheson, Keaton, Financial.

Hurontario Express, Dundas Express, and Meadowvale-Subway run every 20 minutes, but they don't need to be upgraded for me, since they're gonna be switched to their MiExpress counterparts anyways.

Last edited:
The MT 102 will mirror BT 502 between Shoppers World and Square One. The 19 and 202 will loop at the park and ride, something MT wanted to do for a long time - the construction of the park and ride and Brampton's desire to actually provide seamless service between major nodes regardless of municipal borders finally gave MT the excuse to pull the 19 from going 50 metres over the city limit (the 407 park and ride is barely within Brampton civic boundaries).

Otherwise, I'm impressed enough with BT's plans. Other than the 502, there isn't anything really to write home about, but committing more service to its regular routes and bringing more routes to the minimum 30 minute standard at all times it shows it certainly not neglecting the rest of the system while it implements BRT.

My biggest complaint is that the 502's north terminus is not a logical location. But the MTO and GO are going to have a new park and ride loop at the Hurontario/Highway 407 interchange at the Caledon border, it is planned for Zum to extend there once it is ready, rather than serve Heart Lake.

Cutting the 19 is going to suck for a lot of people. Even north of 407 I see people using the 19 to get to SHopper's World.

BANG ON! Among all corridors that Mississauga and Brampton share, only Hurontario is the corridor where Mississauga has more frequent buses over Brampton (McLaughlin is a tie).

What happened to MT, YRT and the rest of the 905? When will they get their wake-up call?

I know that there will be more improvements (esp. weekends) than cuts in MT, but if they are gonna run with their magic frequency number "18", it just won't work and expect slower ridership growth.

I think MT and YRT just lack in service frequency, which Brampton is really boosting in.

I observed that Brampton's trunk routes run mostly every 10 minutes or better during rush hours:
Queen, Main (to be reduced with Zum), Chinguacousy, Bovaird, Kennedy (to become 7.5), Torbram, Bramalea, Sandalwood, Airport Road, Steeles West, Zum Main

Meanwhile, many of Mississauga's routes (and branches) play around 18 (15-20). If these routes are around 12 minutes or better (similar to Tomken and Westwood), there will be much less people that will get mad when they get left behind by the bus:
Rathburn, Glen Erin, Mavis, Erin Mills, Mississauga Road, Confederation, Eglinton, Lakeshore, Winston Churchill, Malton Express, Meadowvale Express, Derry, Dixie north of Courtneypark, Dundas west of Mississauga Road, Folkway, Woodlands, Traders, McDowell, Thomas, Meadowvale, Bristol, Kennedy, Cawthra, Windsor Hill, InterCity Express, Oakville Express, Drew, Airport, McLaughlin, Matheson, Keaton, Financial.

Hurontario Express, Dundas Express, and Meadowvale-Subway run every 20 minutes, but they don't need to be upgraded for me, since they're gonna be switched to their MiExpress counterparts anyways.

Ummm... most the MT routes you single out are either not the only route in the corridor, or they are not trunk routes. e.g. 28 Confederation, 25 Traders, 31 Folkway, 70 Keaton, 68 Windsor Hil, 49 McDowell, 41 Thomas, etc. are certainly not trunk routes. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Intercity Express is combined with Hurontario Express. That's 10 minute express service... not to mention the 5 minute local service. Likewise Oakville Exp is 20 minutes, but it combines with Dundas Express for 10 minutes. Not to mention the 1/1C at 9 minutes.

Eglinton has many routes that overlap: 7, 34, 35, 89, yet you single each route out individually as being low frequency??? Is the combined service of 7/34/35/89 really that bad, especially outside of rush hour? What other corridors in the 905 get an arrangment like 7/34/35/89? I don't see the point of singling Eglinton out.

Glen Erin corridor is also served by two routes: 13 and 29. North of Burnhamthorpe, consider Glen Erin's proximity to Winston Churchill and Erin Mills - 0.5km distance. Same with Rathburn vs Burnhamthorpe. You'd never see parallel routes that close together in Brampton, let alone overlapping. Is that really lack of service? Compare that to the 3 km distance between Steeles and Queen, without any other east-west route in-between. The distance between Eastgate and Dundas is also 3 km. So what is more service: BT 1/11/501 or MT 1/3/18/20/26/76/101/107/109/201?

Brampton hardly has any feeder routes, few overlapping routes, and parallel routes are further apart, so the looking at route individual the service, seems higher, but it is not.

Back