News   May 03, 2024
 1.3K     1 

BMO Field

Exactly

Light green = CFL Field Dimensions
Dark green = 6m border around field
Yellow = site property

jzadkn.jpg

great...now that we have the pitch in there....where do we put the additional 20k seats? and the washrooms and concession areas....and how do we do that and still have room on a site for people to move around freely and safely when 30k of them show up at the same time?

there is no room

great...now that we have the pitch in there....where do we put the additional 20k seats? and the washrooms and concession areas....and how do we do that and still have room on a site for people to move around freely and safely when 30k of them show up at the same time?

there is no room

It actually seats 10k now. Nobody with the Argos is talking 30k seats. The desirable figure I've heard is 25k. Extend the grandstands down each side and around the south and you've got it up to 12-13k. There is ample green space outside of the stadium on the east and west side as the jpeg clearly shows. It's not impossible.

I don't think it's likely to be honest but it's not impossible.

Washrooms and concessions would go in the structure under the expanded (doubled) east and west stands. The upper decks would provide ample space for washrooms and food vendors.

Last edited:
Did you see the model on the previous page I made for a 31,000 seat stadium that fits on the site?

Did you see the model on the previous page I made for a 31,000 seat stadium that fits on the site?

I saw some renderings...they were nice but without any reference points as to the actual size of the structures and the size of the lot it is very difficult to see if they do fit or not....also you yourself said it just about fits (so either you mean it does not fit or it is shoehorn tight...and in this day and age no one is going to allow stadium to be built if it is so tight in fit that it in anyway compromises public safety by not having a free flow of people in and out of the venue and ample public walkway/sidewalk space.

It could be downsized to 25,000 leaving more room around the perimeter for sure.

I also suck with Google SketchUp and can't seem to be able to place it in Google Earth to see what it looks like.

Parking is the one thing it doesn't have unless somehow you could put a parking lot underneath the stadium eg Ron Joyce Stadium has parking underneath the field there. There's also ample parking at Exhibition which is only a 5 minute walk away.

It is well serviced by transit though - with the King Streetcar right there and the Dufferin Bus two minutes walk. The Queen St, Harbourfront and Bathurst streetcars are also 5 minutes away as well as the GO Transit stop

It could be downsized to 25,000 leaving more room around the perimeter for sure.

I also suck with Google SketchUp and can't seem to be able to place it in Google Earth to see what it looks like.

Parking is the one thing it doesn't have unless somehow you could put a parking lot underneath the stadium eg Ron Joyce Stadium has parking underneath the field there. There's also ample parking at Exhibition which is only a 5 minute walk away.

It is well serviced by transit though - with the King Streetcar right there and the Dufferin Bus two minutes walk. The Queen St, Harbourfront and Bathurst streetcars are also 5 minutes away as well as the GO Transit stop

A parking lot under the stadium would mean a complete rebuild from scratch which might not fit the economic scenario being envisioned. A multi-level lot in the south end behind the stand could conceivably work. I wouldn't want to bank on Exhibition parking on a regular basis due to the CNE and conflicts with other events such as the Indy and of course TFC games.

The whole thing would be contingent on the neighbours. Certainly the bars and restaurants would be all for it but those that living in Liberty Village might have a problem with the scenario.

The fact that the city owns the land is the biggest point in favour though.

A parking lot under the stadium would mean a complete rebuild from scratch which might not fit the economic scenario being envisioned. A multi-level lot in the south end behind the stand could conceivably work. I wouldn't want to bank on Exhibition parking on a regular basis due to the CNE and conflicts with other events such as the Indy and of course TFC games.

The whole thing would be contingent on the neighbours. Certainly the bars and restaurants would be all for it but those that living in Liberty Village might have a problem with the scenario.

The fact that the city owns the land is the biggest point in favour though.

There are people who will spend, spend, spend until they have nothing left in their wallet or purse. They have no control. Give them a cheque, they'll cash it just to spend. See this link.

Now that they are serious about building a roof over BMO Field doesn't that hinder the Argos from joining Toronto FC at the same stadium?

I'm thinking that the roof talk also serves another purpose in putting another obstacle in front of the Argos from moving to BMO Field. The initial design and construction of BMO Field quickly put cold water on the Argos from joining Toronto FC previously and most recently over the past 5 years when owner studies indicated that the stadium could not meet CFL needs and standards.

I could be wrong but the way I see it, if the Argos were to come on board at BMO Field, you would first do stadium seating changes to accomodate CFL standards, add extra seating to make the stadium bigger, then you talk roof design and construction. They are going about it backwards and I think it may be intentional to keep the Argos out at any cost so as to not upset Toronto FC supporters and the corporate leadership.

This is just speculation and my opinion but seriously if something does not happen quickly the Argos are going to find themselves in a very difficult situation that they can only blame themselves with the mess they have created by going into new stadium negotiations in the past and then backing out at the last moment and screwing many organizations and institutions. Maybe thats just CFL politics and nothing will ever change.

Last edited:
^I don't think MLSE would have to take those kind of preemptive steps when it's MLSE that's looking at buying the Argos. The question of owning the Argos is completely in their control.

I do agree with you that it seems a little backwards, but that's an outside perspective. If anything having the Argos play there would make the case for a roof stronger because it spreads the cost over two teams. The stadium will need expansion and renovation anyway if the Argos move in, so it makes sense to include a roof at the same time.

Back