News   Jul 12, 2024
 896     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 802     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 333     0 

BMO Field

^I don't think MLSE would have to take those kind of preemptive steps when it's MLSE that's looking at buying the Argos. The question of owning the Argos is completely in their control.

I do agree with you that it seems a little backwards, but that's an outside perspective. If anything having the Argos play there would make the case for a roof stronger because it spreads the cost over two teams. The stadium will need expansion and renovation anyway if the Argos move in, so it makes sense to include a roof at the same time.

We have no idea what is included in that $100 million + includes but I seriously doubt it is "just a roof". Any roofing would, I suggest, include increased seating in certain areas (likely a double-decking in the east and south).

This is just speculation and my opinion but seriously if something does not happen quickly the Argos are going to find themselves in a very difficult situation that they can only blame themselves with the mess they have created by going into new stadium negotiations in the past and then backing out at the last moment and screwing many organizations and institutions. Maybe thats just CFL politics and nothing will ever change.
If I recall correctly, the U of T stadium deal broke down after 1) the CSA backed out and decided to partner with MLSE at BMO Field, and 2) a change in leadership at the university. Can't remember why York collapsed (probably money).

By 2017, Montreal, Ottawa, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Saskatchewan, Edmonton and B.C. will either have new or upgraded stadiums in the previous decade, so I'm not sure if CFL politics are more convoluted than any other league. In Toronto, I'd say it has more to do with the previous Argo owners (Cynamon and Soklowski), who I think were full of it.

If I recall correctly, the U of T stadium deal broke down after 1) the CSA backed out and decided to partner with MLSE at BMO Field, and 2) a change in leadership at the university. Can't remember why York collapsed (probably money).

By 2017, Montreal, Ottawa, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Saskatchewan, Edmonton and B.C. will either have new or upgraded stadiums in the previous decade, so I'm not sure if CFL politics are more convoluted than any other league. In Toronto, I'd say it has more to do with the previous Argo owners (Cynamon and Soklowski), who I think were full of it.

Thanks for bringing clarity to this as I do not have a good knowledge base of sports and the politics that go with it. Im more for the economies created by sport teams and their stadiums and the jobs they bring to the community.

If I remember correctly the York stadium fell through when the owners of Rogers Centre called the Argo owners and said we will give you free rent if you stay. They went for it and Argos pulled out leaving York U with a huge financial burden and ultimately they also pulled out and the stadium was cancelled.

There was also a recent Toronto Star article where I believe Cynamon and Soklowski stated that they regret some of the decision making they made that ultimately lead to the stadium cancelation at York and ultimately lead to the situation that the Argos find themselves in now.

Back