900     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 806     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 334     0 

BMO Field

I'll say without a shadow of a doubt.

They'll be around.

word. as long as they expand the stadium after this season to bring in more revenue and get more skilled players as a result...then we will be GOOD, and it will be a vicious cycle. it will be interesting to see how smart MSLE will be about it.

Star

Link to article

BMO is no field of dreams for players

Aug 16, 2007 04:30 AM
Cathal Kelly

Staring out over the sun-bleached plain that is my front lawn, FieldTurf doesn't look like a bad option. But I don't have to run around on it for 90 minutes at a time. Or anywhere else for that matter.

Toronto FC's players have to play and practise on the stuff most every day. BMO Field's artificial surface has come under some criticism lately from visiting players, not the least of whom is David Beckham.

Beckham was forced to temper his comments when it was pointed out that three of his youth academies use similar stuff.

"At that level, I think it's a great surface," Beckham said, drawing an invisible line between boys and men.

FIFA, UEFA, MLS and other soccer leagues have signed on to FieldTurf and other similar products. FIFA has established guidelines for testing and maintaining artificial surfaces.

The highest ranking FIFA hands out is a "Two-Star" rating. BMO Field's state-of-the-art pitch has one of those.

But the muttering continues.

"It's difficult to comment on an individual player's perception," Bob Hunter, the man in charge of MLSE's venues, said the other day. "Statistically, it has been shown that (injuries) are minimal (on FieldTurf). ... The fact that I've heard very little (from players) means they seem to be satisfied."

Approached on the sidelines yesterday, where he's been forced to sit and watch his teammates go through their paces because of a serious knee injury suffered at BMO Field, Ronnie O'Brien is cheerfully cagey when asked about the surface.

"I don't think I can talk about it," the Irishman winks. He's made no secret of the fact that he'd prefer a grass field.

O'Brien's practised on the artificial stuff before, played on it as a youngster. But he'd never been on it day in and day out until he came to Canada.

"My problem with it is that it doesn't give way," O'Brien said.

Would his teammates prefer grass, or at least the chance to practise on grass?

"Of course they would."

O'Brien is a veteran. He knows artificial surfaces are a reality in MLS. He's not complaining, just stating a professional's opinion.

Will fellow pros, perhaps the designated player that Toronto FC will seek in the off-season, be put off by the BMO Field surface?

"It is what it is. It comes down to preferences. If a guy has a choice, he may prefer to play on a grass pitch," O'Brien said. "People are going to talk about (the FieldTurf) because of all the injuries we've had ..."

A few feet away, team stars Danny Dichio (hip flexor, back) and Marvell Wynne (hamstring) are going through a light workout, racing to achieve full fitness before Saturday's game against USA Chivas.

O'Brien looks over at them, looks back at me, smiles and shrugs his shoulders. Message received.

As a condition of the $45 million stadium funding MLSE received from the federal and provincial governments, the field has to be fit for use year-round. That means an artificial turf that can be roofed over in the winter.

Would the team consider laying down grass each spring and then replacing it with FieldTurf each winter (approx. cost: $900,000)?

"Conceptually, it's an interesting idea," Hunter said. "But ... it would be very, very difficult."

Which is to say, very, very expensive. And so, unlikely to happen.

Whatever FIFA or its studies say about artificial turf, the men whose livelihoods are made on it definitely prefer the natural stuff. You can chalk it up to foreign prejudice, but like O'Brien says, "It is what it is."

Already at a recruiting disadvantage because of national quotas and a young, struggling team, Toronto's field makes it harder for Mo Johnston to attract the most talented players to BMO Field.

The true cost of that is not so easily tallied. But it will be paid by fans, not the team's owners.

There has been some recent talk about Argos relocating from the Rogers Centre to BMO Field. I want to ask those in the know or have better knowledge of sports teams and stadium politics is the following:

There are few options for the Argos moving into a new stadium. Is it a given that ultimately the Argos will move to BMO because City tax dollars built that stadium and that the Argos are not big enough to financially support a stand alone stadium and therefore be forced to share a facility to keep costs down?

Will the beloved fans of Toronto FC soccer team welcome the major renovation of their intimate stadium?

If the Argos do move to BMO field does that mean that there will some major improvements and more seating added? A lot of people have complained that the stadium was cheaply built and is basically a "No Frills Stadium".

Thanks

Last edited:
The theory is that MLSE would buy the Argos and renovate BMO Field. With the new CFL TV contract that kicks in next year, the Argos will apparently be close to a break-even proposition. Another part of it is that MLSE supposedly wants to use an expanded BMO to attract outdoor concerts (BMO has only hosted one concert in six years).

I would assume field turf would be installed in this scenario, something many TFC fans are opposed to.

But it's all up in the air at this point.

I could see that happening with the new TSN deal. It's worth a lot more than the current one and TSN has done a great job promoting the product (even though the CFL is mostly ignored in Toronto). I've read that the end zone seating would be retractable to make room for a football field and still keep the intimate feel for soccer.

I don't follow football very closely, do any high level teams play on natural grass? BMO Field hosts rugby so I don't see why football would be a problem. It would be a great move for the Argos, SkyDome is terrible for them.

Speaking of rugby, Brian Burke is now with Rugby Canada and talking a big game about establishing professional rugby in North America. Now that I'd watch.

The theory is that MLSE would buy the Argos and renovate BMO Field. With the new CFL TV contract that kicks in next year, the Argos will apparently be close to a break-even proposition. Another part of it is that MLSE supposedly wants to use an expanded BMO to attract outdoor concerts (BMO has only hosted one concert in six years).

I would assume field turf would be installed in this scenario, something many TFC fans are opposed to.

But it's all up in the air at this point.

Leiweke insisted yesterday that BMO would remain natural grass

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013...hanges-to-bmo-field-we-have-to-play-on-grass/

York U is building a 12500 seat stadium for the pan-am games - it'll seat 20,000 during the actual pan am games. Why not just modify that stadium and stick the Argos there ? Edmonton and Montreal both play on field's with running tracks.

MLSE dished out $5.5 million back in 2010 to convert BMO's playing surface from Field Turf to natural grass. I doubt they would be willing to revert back to turf AND re-arrange BMO for CFL football, so grass will probably remain.

In terms of a new facility for the Argos: If BMO doesn't pan out, is anyone familiar with Lamport Stadium? I know it's city owned and used primarily for soccer but could that not be a feasible site come 2018?

MLSE dished out $5.5 million back in 2010 to convert BMO's playing surface from Field Turf to natural grass. I doubt they would be willing to revert back to turf AND re-arrange BMO for CFL football, so grass will probably remain.

In terms of a new facility for the Argos: If BMO doesn't pan out, is anyone familiar with Lamport Stadium? I know it's city owned and used primarily for soccer but could that not be a feasible site come 2018?

about 9,000 bench style seats....very poor amenity/concourse space and very tight site with little expansion room.

York U is building a 12500 seat stadium for the pan-am games - it'll seat 20,000 during the actual pan am games. Why not just modify that stadium and stick the Argos there ? Edmonton and Montreal both play on field's with running tracks.

They are actually only building a 3,500 seat stadium that will expandable to 12,500 (using temporary seats) during the games

http://yfile.news.yorku.ca/2012/11/...-on-new-athletics-stadium-at-york-university/

The fully accessible stadium is designed for certification by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) as a Class 1 track suitable for hosting Olympic and other top-tier competitions.

It will have a 400-metre track and an infield that supports throwing and jumping disciplines, as well as a scoreboard, professional broadcast capabilities, athlete change rooms, equipment storage, classroom space, as well as permanent seating for 3,000 spectators with an additional 2,000 temporary seats. Seating for 12,500 spectators will be available.

I actually did a design for a 31,000 seat stadium that fits on the site there that I posted in the fantasy renderings section of the board

I've been messing around with this design for a few weeks now - a new stadium for the the Argos on the Lamport Stadium site.

It seats 31,000 (including 500 club seats at halfway line on the West Stand) and 25 luxury suites at the top of the West Stand.

And yes - it does fit on the site that Lamport stadium (and parking lot) currently sits - just about.

And as a nod to the old warehouses in the area (and I'm sure urbandreamer will appreciate) it's clad in red brick

m0q5NtX.jpg

b91dPcV.jpg

9Ytoe3u.jpg

qNW7LV7.jpg

KtLWJZo.jpg

p49GpP0.jpg

about 9,000 bench style seats....very poor amenity/concourse space and very tight site with little expansion room.

I think Lamport would be a fantastic site for a home for the Argo's too. Improvements can be done incrementally. Its a great base to build from even if you do have to bring in temporary amenities to support major events. Imagine how alive Liberty Village would become on game days!

I think Lamport would be a fantastic site for a home for the Argo's too. Improvements can be done incrementally. Its a great base to build from even if you do have to bring in temporary amenities to support major events. Imagine how alive Liberty Village would become on game days!

There is no room.

Back