News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 894     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

BMO Field

It's funny that we speak of giving it a canadian twist when soccer used to be referred as football back in the day.

The Canadian Soccer Association was founded as the Dominion of Canada Football Association in 1912. One of the first professional leagues in Canada the Dominion Football Association was formed in 1877 - a full 15 years before CFL's predecessor the Canadian Rugby Union was formed in 1892.

I see the CFL as Canadian Football, and soccer as Football.

Anecdotally, at least, I've noticed more people in TO referring to soccer as football. This is a positive thing; 'soccer' is such a silly term for what the ENTIRE WORLD EXCEPT THE US AND CANADA know as football. Even in Australia, where another type of 'football' is hugely popular, they have no probem handling the distinction between the big football, and aussie rules football.

Anyway, it won't be Toronto United--DC took that, along with Freddy Adu.

There will be a press conference on the 12th regarding the stadium.

Perhaps it's time to take a second look at this issue. We can start in canada and then insinuate long term change in the NFL via our cultural spies... who, when all is said and done, write most of the TV and film that Americans consume anyway.

So:

1. The ball is kicked at the start of every quarter right?
= football

2. If a touchdown can't happen, a field goal kick is in play, right?
= football.

3. After a touchdown, one might think of kicking an extra point thru the uprights, right?
= football

BUTT

The rest of the game goes like this:

1. The centre snaps (hands) the ball to the quarterback, who hands the ball to the fullback (after faking a hand-off to the half back.

2. 2nd down and 8. The quarterback takes the snap (aka HAND off) from the centre and throws the ball (with his hand) to the receiver who hopefully catches the ball with his Hands.

3. Last down, 2 yards/metres to the goal line. The centre hands the ball to the quarteback who fakes a hand off to his full-back and then holds the ball in his hands and dives across the goal-line to score touch down.

Feet or hands?

^But "Handball" is already taken...

And I like Inter Toronto...

Let's go Inter! Let's go! Clap Clap Clap.

it should be called "Toronto City FC" or " SC Toronto "

PLEASE NOT: Toronto ____ (Insert Animal name here)____ !!!

What? You mean you don't like Toronto Rabid Raccoons ?

raccoon.gif

Speaking of...

Is that a cat you've got there Jarrek?

Looks a little... odd.

Odd? What looks odd about it? It's my cat when it was a kitten.

The little furball has grown though.

zirkabal.jpg

zirka.jpg

zirka_sleep.jpg

zirkacam.jpg

meankitty.jpg

zirka9.jpg

It shouldn't be called anything Euro oriented. We ain't Europe and have no desire to be. I would prefer the TO Voyageurs or beavers or Lynx...anything but Inter or Ac or united- pathetic.

Nice cat.

Maybe a name to handle all the inferiority complexes.

The Toronto United Times Square Philly Burj Dubai AC!

Just because we can, let's come up with the worst possible names for the team:

My suggestions:

Toronto Unlimiteds
Toronto Maple Cleats
Toronto "Soccer it to me"s

These are as bad as they come. Anyone else?

insinuate long term change in the NFL via our cultural spies
I suggest they change the NFL to the NGL (National Gridiron League) named for the vertical yard lines marking the rectangular field.

We're a nostalgic bunch in TO, why not bring back the "Blizzard" like MLSE did with "Marlies". We are in Canada, and US fans will better relate Toronto Blizzard as Canada's team.

Back