News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

BMO Field

I wonder if this money will go a little way in enhancing the bare-bones stadium or whether this was money already contemptated (and spent).

Hopefully this money will be spent on a well-designed roof that would protect spectators from the elements, and turn this high-school soccer field into an architecturally recognizable soccer stadium.

Its already under construction. I'd doubt they'd change the design now.

The article calls this a "World Class Facility" .... ahem.. cough ... cough. That's an embarrassing statement.

I guess that's a bit of a hyperbole to call it 'world class' (whatever that means) but what do people really expect? At best, professional soccer is a marginal sport in N.America, and as such it warrants the facilities that it's getting. Whatever they're building right now will certainly be OK for what it's designed.

In the same sense that the Etobicoke Olympium was "world class" in its day, I guess...

I hope they design this stadium keeping in mind a possible upgrade once (if) MLS becomes popular in Toronto. There's definitely money behind this.

It's encouraging that MLSE picked up this franchise and will likely market it as well as they do the Leafs and the Raptors...

... here's hoping they manage their MLS team unlike the Leafs and the Raptors.

Can't wait to get a Toronto FC shirt... I think I'll get GANJA 01 printed on the back.

Politicians hail soccer stadium
FIFA Under-20 World Cup -- with a potential 600 million TV viewers -- to be held in the sports field next year

Link to article
By ROB GRANATSTEIN, CITY HALL BUREAU

Fans at the Grand Prix of Toronto race this weekend will notice a new sight-line obstruction: The city's $62.8-million soccer stadium at Exhibition Place.

Taking advantage of World Cup soccer fever kicking Toronto right now, politicians gathered at the construction site yesterday to pat each other on the back.

The stadium will host the FIFA Under-20 World Cup next July. It's billed as the second-biggest soccer tournament in the world, with a potential TV audience of 600 million.

ON SCHEDULE

Bob Hunter, senior vice-president of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, said the stadium is on time. The south grandstand is well-underway, while the frame of the permanent west grandstand is moving along quickly. It's also on budget, Hunter said.

"We've actually been able to add a few amenities -- a bigger video board, some LED message boards, and an upgraded sound system."

The stadium will be owned by the city and managed by MLSE, which has committed $18 million to the project. MLSE will also field a Major League Soccer team, Toronto FC, at the stadium starting next year.

Hunter said there's huge interest in the naming rights for the stadium from major companies, and a deal should be announced in the fall.

MLSE has guaranteed the city $10 million from the rights to put a corporate name on the stadium. It's also taking any risks for construction cost over-runs.

Toronto has put in $9.8 million plus land; the province added $8 million and Ottawa provided $27 million

The city will get to use the soccer stadium for free for 14 days a year. That time will be devoted to the city's 13 priority neighbourhoods, school groups and other underserved community groups.

COMPETITIVE RATES

Residents will also be able to book the field, and get it at competitive rates.

Mayor David Miller said the stadium will give skilled players a chance to play at home, and that should help Canada get to the World Cup.

"When you look at our under-20 players, we're pretty competitive," Miller said.

He added the bubble covering the field in the winter will be a huge boost, letting players practise year-round.

"This kind of facility was totally absent from the city."

"This kind of facility was totally absent from the city."
What about Lamport Stadium in the west end or Centennial Park in Etobicoke or Esther Shiner Stadium in North York or Birchmount Stadium in Scarborough?

BTW... i was speaking with the owner of the shirt shop in Gerrard Square and he hopes to have them in soon. I'll let you know.

What about Lamport Stadium in the west end or Centennial Park in Etobicoke or Esther Shiner Stadium in North York or Birchmount Stadium in Scarborough?

Have you been to any of those stadiums?

Please don't compare any of them to this new one because they're worlds apart.

Centennial Stadium in Etobicoke has only one washroom for the public and two concession stands. All of these stadiums are delapitated and nowhere close to hosting major soccer tournaments. There is absolutely no room to expand them, and the transportation access is poor.

Well, that's still a critique. Equating the new soccer stadium w/those jernts is like equating 1 King with a bedbug-ridden Bowery flophouse

Toronto Star

Link to article

City pays for stadium, but can't play
Soccer facility allots residents only 14 free days a year
`You can't expect it to be manna from heaven': Pantalone
Jul. 7, 2006. 05:25 AM
VANESSA LU
CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF

Even though Toronto residents put up $10 million and the land to build a new soccer stadium at Exhibition Place, they will get free use of the facility only 14 days a year.

"It's a kick in the pants," said Councillor Maria Augimeri after the plans were presented to the economic development committee yesterday. "I'm very disappointed."

Augimeri (Ward 9, York Centre) said she had hoped that children and youth in the city's 13 vulnerable neighbourhoods such as Jane-Finch or Malvern would have plenty of access to the year-round facilities.

"At 14 days, that's only one day each for the 13 priority areas," she said. But it may not be even that much because the city's parks and recreation department may use some of those days for school championships and tournaments city-wide.

The 20,000-seat soccer stadium is being built with plenty of taxpayers' money: $27 million from Ottawa, $8 million from Queen's Park, almost $20 million from the city once land value is added in. Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, which owns the Leafs and Raptors, put up $8 million. In addition, MLSE purchased the naming rights for $10 million, which it will sell to a third party.

As part of the deal, MLSE will be bringing a major league soccer franchise called Toronto FC, set to play in the stadium when it is completed next March. It plays only 20 games at home a year. The stadium will also be used when Canada hosts the FIFA men's under 20 championships next year.

MLSE's executive vice-president Bob Hunter said yesterday that the stadium agreement calls for at least half of the year to be set aside for community use at hourly rates comparable to other similar facilities in the GTA. Priority will be given to Toronto residents.

"We're hoping we will get a lot more use than 50 per cent," said Hunter.

While the actual rental rates for community use are not set yet, Hunter said they will not be exorbitant.

Brenda Librecz, general manager for parks, forestry and recreation, said initially no free days for city use were negotiated.

"Should we get more? Yes, I would have liked to have more," said Librecz. "But it's better than we had.

"Fourteen is a good door opener. As we work through the year, we'll see how well it gets used," she said. "Maybe we won't even need all those 14 days."

Councillor Mike Del Grande, a vocal opponent to the stadium, said he worries that this will be like the SkyDome mess.

When the baseball dome opened in 1989, it had a final price tag of more than $600 million, paid mostly by taxpayers. Rogers Communications bought it in 2004 for $30 million.

"This (soccer stadium) was a bad deal," he said. "This deal will certainly start to unravel."

Del Grande argued that the city's $10 million would have been far better spent on building or upgrading existing soccer facilities across the city.

Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone, who spearheaded the effort to get the soccer stadium, defended the deal.

"At the end of the day, it's a tremendous facility that will be available," he said. "One wishes it could be free like our parks.

"But parks are funded by taxpayers on an annual basis," Pantalone said, adding the stadium is expected to pay for itself. "You can't expect it to be manna from heaven."

In addition, the Canadian National Exhibition will have access to stadium during its three-week run every summer at no cost.

The FIFA-under 20 World Cup may not be the Olympics or the World Cup, but it is a fairly big sporting event. It's too bad they didn't invest more money in a great design for the stadium when it, and the city, will be getting so much exposure.

the argos play at the skydome :) which can hold more than 30,000, why wud it move to the soccer stadium?

i'm glad to see this stadium going up, even if we can only play in it 14-days a year, atleast we have a home for a real soccer team :)

Back