News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

BMO Field

That does look like good bang for the buck, compared to what we are getting.

I wonder if the short timeframe to build the stadium is what absorbed the budget because there are many examples of better stadiums being built for similar prices.

judging from those renderings the main difference is the canopies.

rendering_bowl_sw.jpg

rendering_bowl_seating.jpg

The Toronto Soccer stadium needed to get the field and stands in place for next season. A really cool canopy design(Athens Olympic Stadium) can be added in the future.

The renderings for that stadium in the Ukraine look horrible - a metal skeleton surrounded by acres of grass and wasted space... very urban indeed.

A few of us were at The Ex on Saturday and I caught the following pics of the stadium under construction...

DSCN1165.jpg

DSCN1166.jpg

DSCN1168.jpg

Nice to see bricks being used. It gives the stadium a sense of permanency methinks.

Re: soccer stadium takes shape

Permanency is all relative in Toronto.

I'm likin' the brick too, DS... very pleased to see it.

I'm likin' the brick too
A smaller 40,000 seat baseball only stadium in brick (see Jacobs Field, Cleveland and Camden Yards, Baltimore) would compliment the soccer stadium at Exhibition Place.

BTW...
Toronto Star reports announcement is pending: BMO buys stadium naming rights

Link to article

Aug. 31, 2006. 07:43 AM
RICK WESTHEAD
BUSINESS REPORTER

Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment, the privately held sports concern that owns hockey's Maple Leafs and basketball's Raptors, has agreed to sell naming rights to its new soccer stadium in downtown Toronto to the Bank of Montreal.

Two sources familiar with the agreement told the Toronto Star that the pact with BMO is expected to be announced in September.

The contract is said to be worth as much as $27 million over 10 years, in line with what many sports industry officials expected.

Maple Leaf Sports obtained the corporate naming rights to the city's new downtown soccer stadium from a consortium of public-sector partners after it agreed to pay $10 million over 20 years for the right to sell naming rights and other sponsorships for the facility, currently under construction at Exhibition Place.

Besides selling the title sponsorship to the new 20,000-seat stadium, where Major League Soccer's Toronto FC will play its home games, MLSE also has the right to keep any revenue collected from associate sponsors. Those contracts, with the likes of car companies and brewers, are likely to be worth at least $250,000 a year, industry sources said.

Signing a stadium naming rights agreement is no guarantee a company will reap long-term rewards.

Stadium naming is a comparatively new way for team owners to generate more money.

Some of the biggest such deals were signed in 1999 and 2000 when Reliant Energy agreed to pay $320 million (U.S.) over 32 years for the right to name the stadium where the National Football League's Houston Texans play.

And to be sure, there have been instances where naming rights agreements have ended in public embarrassment.

In 2002, for instance, baseball's Houston Astros paid $2.1 million to reacquire the naming rights for the former Enron Field after the Houston-based energy company became embroiled in scandal.

While one veteran sports marketer said the stadium's proximity to the Gardiner Expressway made it a coveted property, others were more skeptical about BMO's ability to use the stadium to bolster revenue.

"You've got 250,000 cars going by at rush hour twice a day but you could also have just bought a billboard next to the highway," said Keith McIntyre, a Toronto sports marketer.

Maple Leaf Sports spokesperson Rajani Kamath said he had no comment. "Nothing's been finalized. We aren't ready to announce anything yet."

BMO spokesperson Ralph Marranca wouldn't comment "on rumour or speculation." The new $62.5 million soccer stadium will be owned by the city. The federal government will contribute $27 million while the province has made an $8 million pledge.

Toronto has agreed to provide land worth $10 million and $9.8 million in cash and MLSE has been responsible for contributing and raising $18 million.

MLSE also stands to generate revenue from the sale of luxury-suite tickets — there are plans to build at least 10 private boxes — as well as income from tickets, parking and concessions.

Nice to see things taking shape. It's obviously a bare bones stadium- but with the brickwork on the exterior it has the potential to be an attractive little venue. However I don't think it is quite grand enough for the title of Canada's 'National Stadium'- it isn't Wembley :b so perhaps the BMO Grandstand would indeed be better.

Seems like it will have a nice view of the city
toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/MLS...struction/

Will the stadium have seats? From what it looks in this very early stage in construction, it will have bleacher style benches. I sure hope not.

Bank of Montreal Field where TorontoFC plays... odd. BMO Field is better.

it better be seats. 40 Million dollars for bleachers? Give me a break.

Of course it will have seats. I think that might actually be a FIFA requirement.

That's what I was thinking too. It's "Canada's National Soccer Stadium", but it isn't at all that grand. But the good thing is the stadium could be easily upgraded and renovated into something much bigger if need be later in the future. At this current time, a stadium of this size is more appropriate than another white elephant that can't fill every seat.

I thought the question about seats is a no brainer... would people really be willing to pay to watch a top level pro soccer game in a stadium with only bleacher seats?

Back