News   Apr 18, 2024
 295     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Blue Jays

My girlfriend went as well. I was supposed to go but ended up having a baseball game get rescheduled for tonight (obviously postponed further due to the storm). I watched bits and pieces fro the 6th inning on but it was too bad to keep on for the whole game.

36 games into the season isn't that much at all. You can completely turn a team around in that time and it happens all the time (in both directions, bad teams can get better and good teams can get immensely worse...). The Penguins were tenth at one point, and to suggest they'd win it all is similar (to me at least) to saying the Jays would make the playoffs 40 games in.

It's not the same at all. The Penguins at 10th are just a few spots out of a playoff berth, and not many more points away from being a middle seed in the conference (with much of the season ahead of them).

Saying the Jays will make the playoffs 40 games in is in no way comparable because a) only 8 teams in MLB make the playoffs and b) they still have over 75% of the season left to play.

uhh perhaps you're reading the stats wrong. Based on his UZR and UZR/150, he's the worst fielder in the majors. By far actually. He's 10 points behind the next worst player in both categories.

I'm not 100% sold on UZR as an effective measurment. In some cases it seems to be, but it also seems to have its flaws. Using UZR, some of Wells best fielding seasons (supposedly) he was actually among the worst in the game. I find that hard to believe. Even this year...he looks like one of the top centre fielders in the game by traditional metrics (ZR, RF, etc.).

I don't doubt he has dipped, but worst fielder in the game is a huge stretch for me.

Well first off all, I'm sure Rios had been dangled in front of teams for a while now. He was in the past offered for Lincecum, so there's nothing to suggest he was immediately taken off the market in the two years between then and his waiver release. No one wanted him at a price pre-trade deadline.

It has been reported that there were at least two teams interested in him, both willing to trade prospects/players and take on his full salary.

Obviously getting something in return is always good, but IF they sign a player for the money they would have spent on Rios, then how is that not similar to a 1for1 deal? What would be the difference between (hypothetically) trading Rios for Jason Bay who is also a free agent this winter or trading Rios for nothing and getting Bay in Free agency? Really, nothing. I don't think they'll go after Bay, but insert anyone for Bay and if the value is equal or greater than Rios then it's a smart move.

I don't think we know if Rios will get better. Ya he's 28 and heading into "prime years", but we don't know. We're just basing it on the generalization that all players peak at roughly the same age.

That argument doesn't make any sense. They took an asset they spent years developing and gave him away for nothing. It doesn't matter that his $60 million is off the books. They still got nothing in return.

They might as well give Roy Halladay away for nothing and save $16 million next year.

Everyone: Check out this Forum site...

Everyone: I found this site the other day:
www.baseball-fever.com/
It has sections for all the teams in Major League Baseball for starters.
It has a Teams of Yesteryear section that includes the Montreal Expos.
It begins with a huge General Baseball section.

This is one I will join - good reading if you like Baseball! LI MIKE

Last edited:
While i was in chicago this week i went to wrigley field to see the cubs vs the white sox. amazing atmosphere. every play everyone was screaming or cheering. ill upload some pictures later tonight or tomorrow. It was a great game to be at.

Even if the Jays are playing lackluster baseball, a one hitter by Halladay is a reason why its still worth watching this team. Oh and Hill and Lind...

all I have to say is I never want to see those old style baby blue uniforms again! They must affect the mental outlook of the players in a negative way.

Those Blue Jay throwback ROAD uniforms...

RS: I find it interesting in that the Blue Jays may be the only MLB team to wear their throwback ROAD uniforms at home...the original HOME uniforms were basically the same in WHITE. LI MIKE

Even if the Jays are playing lackluster baseball, a one hitter by Halladay is a reason why its still worth watching this team.
Really? And what would you call it after 11,000 fans, the smallest crowd ever to see the Jays at Skydome, watched He Who Walks on Water pitch on Wednesday?

By the way, since coming off the D.L. in late June, The Saviour is 4-8, and the team is 4-10 in His 14 starts.

Really? And what would you call it after 11,000 fans, the smallest crowd ever to see the Jays at Skydome, watched He Who Walks on Water pitch on Wednesday?

By the way, since coming off the D.L. in late June, The Saviour is 4-8, and the team is 4-10 in His 14 starts.

Halladay's sick of the same old crap. The ridiculous way J.P. handled his possible trade completely rattled him. This is a man who, the past couple seasons, has given up chunks of his salary so his team could go out and try and build something resembling a contender. He sees them not trading for any upgrades when they were hot back in May and at the trade deadline, dump one of the best defensive third basemen in all of baseball. To a ground ball pitcher like Roy, that's got to be one hell of a kick in the crotch.

The way He who allegedly walks on water is now pitching, that could happen.

I'm not sure what your bizarre dislike of Halladay is based on. The simple fact is, throughout most of his career he has been one of the top pitchers in the game. Your silly arguments don't change that.

I was there. Also, I doubt it was the lowest ever. The way they were counting attendance in the past is different than the way Beeston has had the Jays counting attendance this year. Beeston was on the FAN today saying that as much as it was the lowest on record, it wasn't the lowest revenue generating game in the team's history, which suggests they've had similar or lower crowds with inflated numbers in the past. Also, the week of Labour day is always the worst week of the year for attendance.

I'm not sure what your bizarre dislike of Halladay is based on. The simple fact is, throughout most of his career he has been one of the top pitchers in the game. Your silly arguments don't change that.

ya seriously. It's getting a bit sad to see our friend here grasp at straws. Granted, his record hasn't been great since getting injured, but his ERA is still 3.5 over that span and it's actually almost a full run less if you take away a 3 game stretch at the end of August. If your starting pitcher, no matter who it is has an ERA of 2.65 over the span of 11 games (Essentially Halladay's last 14 starts minus the 3 games he bombed in August), your team shouldn't be 4-7 in those starts. Last I checked, he couldn't step up to the plate, so I'm not sure how he could be to blame for the lack of run support.

Oh and did you see him 1 hit the Yankees?

I'm actually trying to find some weighted stats that account for quality of opponent. I know of QERA and CAPS but haven't found a site yet that has it in their database. It'd be really interesting to see how Halladay stacks up considering his schedule. I know most people who voted for him last year in the Cy Young, did so because the quality of his opponents was substantially better than Cliff Lee's.

Last edited:
Simple: IMO the sum has never been equal to the parts with Him. But if it bothers you to hear criticism of He Who Walks On Water, please go back to blaming it all on JP, Wells, and the departed Rios.

At least someone here has lowered His status from the best in the game to one of the best. Progress!

Simple: IMO the sum has never been equal to the parts with Him. But if it bothers you to hear criticism of He Who Walks On Water, please go back to blaming it all on JP, Wells, and the departed Rios.

At least someone here has lowered His status from the best in the game to one of the best. Progress!

Your opinion is completely irrelevant. What matters are the facts. That he has been one of the best pitchers in the game is a fact. Many would argue he is the absolute best. You're not going to find many pitchers who have performed better than him over the last 7-8 years.

Even now, after a bad month, his ERA is still just 3.03, which is 3rd in the AL.

But, I'm sure we'll hear more of your opinion, which has no factual basis.

I'm curious, who do you think are the best pitchers in the game?

Where does this silly, "Him" and "He Who Walks On Water" malarkey come from? If anything, he's been vastly underappreciated.

Back