News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 420     0 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

Retail Insider to reveal Suitsupply's Cumberland Street location next week.

I can't think of a space big enough on Cumberland between Avenue and Bay - i believe they wanted 5,000 - square feet. So i'm thinking its going to be the old toy store at Bay and Cumberland. 62 Cumberland. But that's just a guess.

I'm super interested to see the reconfigured 110 Bloor West. Does anyone have any floor plans?

I noticed on the Old York Lane sign near Remy's a logo for Ca va de Soi. My wife loves their sweaters. I can't find anything online about it. Anyone know anything about this?

magnum.jpg

I can't think of a space big enough on Cumberland between Avenue and Bay - i believe they wanted 5,000 - square feet. So i'm thinking its going to be the old toy store at Bay and Cumberland. 62 Cumberland. But that's just a guess.

I'm super interested to see the reconfigured 110 Bloor West. Does anyone have any floor plans?

That might work since the space is about 6,000 Sf on two levels.

We unfortunately provided misinformation about a Cumberland Street address for Suitsupply. After we posted an article today mentioning a Cumberland Street address, Suitsupply called its Toronto-based broker and she contacted us. As a result, we've posted a retraction of our original article. Suitsupply's broker says she hasn't been able to negotiate a deal for the store, so it appears our guesses are all just speculation at the moment. Sorry about that everyone.

Its strange because our (who I would consider to be a reliable) source told us Suitsupply was going into a second-floor retail portion of 110 Bloor Street West (above J. Crew and Brooks Bros.) and that Suitsupply would have a Cumberland Street address and access. It's interesting that this misinformation was so specific and so similar to something Suitsupply would want as a retail storefront, given what they have chosen in other cities. Again, we apologize for getting everyone's hopes up and we'll be sure to get a more reliable confirmation for future postings.

Our retraction: http://www.retail-insider.com/2013/07/retraction-suitsupply-has-not-secured.html

We also have to amend our article on the configuration of J. Crew and Brooks Brothers at 110 Bloor... their configuration will be different than what we stated. J. Crew's entrance won't be where Guerlain was, it will be on the ground floor of the old Escada space. We'll follow up with a formal correction on our website in the next day or two.

Last edited:
We unfortunately provided misinformation about a Cumberland Street address for Suitsupply. After we posted an article today mentioning a Cumberland Street address, Suitsupply called its Toronto-based broker and she contacted us. As a result, we've posted a retraction of our original article. Suitsupply's broker says she hasn't been able to negotiate a deal for the store, so it appears our guesses are all just speculation at the moment. Sorry about that everyone.

Its strange because our (who I would consider to be a reliable) source told us Suitsupply was going into a second-floor retail portion of 110 Bloor Street West (above J. Crew and Brooks Bros.) and that Suitsupply would have a Cumberland Street address and access. It's interesting that this misinformation was so specific and so similar to something Suitsupply would want as a retail storefront, given what they have chosen in other cities. Again, we apologize for getting everyone's hopes up and we'll be sure to get a more reliable confirmation for future postings.

Our retraction: http://www.retail-insider.com/2013/07/retraction-suitsupply-has-not-secured.html

We also have to amend our article on the configuration of J. Crew and Brooks Brothers at 110 Bloor... their configuration will be different than what we stated. J. Crew's entrance won't be where Guerlain was, it will be on the ground floor of the old Escada space. We'll follow up with a formal correction on our website in the next day or two.

You should also note that the brooks brothers will be primarily in the basement (10,000 square feet) with the remainder at street level.

I thought it would be interesting to look at what stores are in Yorkdale that aren't in Yorkville. I've compared the complete yorkdale listing to yorkville. Most mid-market brands have locations at the Eaton Centre (and increasingly the Dufferin Mall). I've then identified what I would consider the top brands that aren't yet in Yorkville.

There are 13 of these Tier 1 brands. 7 have locations downtown (6 in the Eaton Centre, 1 on Queen Street). This leaves only 6 brands that are currently Tier 1 that do not have Yorkville locations.

Of the 13 total - i would classify 4 of these as top-tier luxury brands:

John Varvatos
Salvatore Ferragamo
Tory Burch
Ted Baker

These are highlighted in green. All of which are unique to Yorkdale at the moment.

Victoria's Secret and Apple are mass market brands that typically have "high-street" presences (they are highlighted in yellow) without Yorkville presence. Both are at the Eaton Centre.

Crate and Barrel, Tesla, and All Saints are Yorkdale only brands that are "Tier 1" although aren't exactly luxury brands and are not as widespread as Apple and Vicotria's Secret. All three are Yorkdale only.

Top Shop and Top Man are tied to HBC's plans for the Yonge/Bloor location.

Kiehl's has significant presence throughout Toronto, including an in-shop store at Holts. Ann Taylor and Winnifred both Eaton Centre locations.

My conclusion from this assessment is that Bloor is interesting holding its own vis-a-vis a much more organized Yorkdale. Stores like Victoria Secret and Apple require significant square footage of retail space (which there isn't readily avail on Bloor). Stores on Bloor are significantly larger than their Yorkdale counterparts and this analysis does not take into account square footage of retail sizes (i.e. the Harry Rosen) or mention other stores on Bloor/Yorkville that aren't open in Yorkdale (Brooks Brothers, Cole Haan, Royal De Versailles etc...). I also wouldn't be surprised if of the 4 (Faragamo etc...) will open on Bloor in the near term.
Picture1.jpg

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 674
I thought it would be interesting to look at what stores are in Yorkdale that aren't in Yorkville. I've compared the complete yorkdale listing to yorkville. Most mid-market brands have locations at the Eaton Centre (and increasingly the Dufferin Mall). I've then identified what I would consider the top brands that aren't yet in Yorkville.

There are 13 of these Tier 1 brands. 7 have locations downtown (6 in the Eaton Centre, 1 on Queen Street). This leaves only 6 brands that are currently Tier 1 that do not have Yorkville locations.

Of the 13 total - i would classify 4 of these as top-tier luxury brands:

John Varvatos
Salvatore Ferragamo
Tory Burch
Ted Baker

These are highlighted in green. All of which are unique to Yorkdale at the moment.

Victoria's Secret and Apple are mass market brands that typically have "high-street" presences (they are highlighted in yellow) without Yorkville presence. Both are at the Eaton Centre.

Crate and Barrel, Tesla, and All Saints are Yorkdale only brands that are "Tier 1" although aren't exactly luxury brands and are not as widespread as Apple and Vicotria's Secret. All three are Yorkdale only.

Top Shop and Top Man are tied to HBC's plans for the Yonge/Bloor location.

Kiehl's has significant presence throughout Toronto, including an in-shop store at Holts. Ann Taylor and Winnifred both Eaton Centre locations.

My conclusion from this assessment is that Bloor is interesting holding its own vis-a-vis a much more organized Yorkdale. Stores like Victoria Secret and Apple require significant square footage of retail space (which there isn't readily avail on Bloor). Stores on Bloor are significantly larger than their Yorkdale counterparts and this analysis does not take into account square footage of retail sizes (i.e. the Harry Rosen) or mention other stores on Bloor/Yorkville that aren't open in Yorkdale (Brooks Brothers, Cole Haan, Royal De Versailles etc...). I also wouldn't be surprised if of the 4 (Faragamo etc...) will open on Bloor in the near term.
View attachment 15231

There is no denying that Yorkdale has become a great retail destination. Its $1B in retail sales puts it in a unique class of retail centres, anywhere in North America. With almost 30 million annual visitors, it's no surprise that many international retailers have used it as their first point of entry into the Canadian retail market. I wish though they would integrate some residential towers (rental and/or condo) onto this site as well.

I wish Winners would move out of their Bloor Street location - that would free up some valuable retail space. I also wonder what kind of retail to expect when 1 Bloor is completed - I hope they do the retail space well that attracts some good names.

unless you work in retail leasing, you're spending way too much time thinking about "what goes where"...

There are signs up in the window of Nike confirming it's closing, and referring people to the Nike Running shop in the Eaton Centre. Which is a pity, as that location is terrible.

There are signs up in the window of Nike confirming it's closing, and referring people to the Nike Running shop in the Eaton Centre. Which is a pity, as that location is terrible.

So does this mean that Brooks is moving into the back end of the Nike spot while J.Crew is going to be on the Bloor side? And what's the deal with the Prowinko sign, anyway? It's kind of ugly...why not just leave it black until they can put J.Crew and/or Brooks logos up?

So does this mean that Brooks is moving into the back end of the Nike spot while J.Crew is going to be on the Bloor side? And what's the deal with the Prowinko sign, anyway? It's kind of ugly...why not just leave it black until they can put J.Crew and/or Brooks logos up?

Both j crew and brooks will have bloor entrances. The majority of brooks (10,000 square feet) will be in the basement. The remainder will be street level.

Hoarding is now up for Mulberry at 131 Bloor. Still unclear whether or not they are taking one or two floors.

Back