News   Apr 16, 2024
 192     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.3K     5 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

Any news on Eataly? What's the chance of the store opening in Yorkville/Bloor versus other locations, such as the new Loblaw at Bathurst and Lake Shore?

Easy to miss, but there is an Eataly thread, resurrected today due to the news confirming that one will open in Toronto.

I doubt Bathurst and Lake Shore is in the running.

Any truth to the rumor that Saint Laurent is opening in the Cumberland side of 150 Bloor West?

*Edited: Saint Laurent will open in Toronto this year, but not in that space. Details to be released in June or earlier.

Last edited:
Any news on Eataly? What's the chance of the store opening in Yorkville/Bloor versus other locations, such as in the new Loblaw building at Bathurst and Lake Shore?

edit: As for Yorkville, are there any retail space that can accommodate Eataly by 2017 other than Holt Renfrew and potentially the Manulife Centre location?

It's still only speculation until confirmed, but multiple sources are saying that it's going on the second level of Manulife Centre. A restaurant in the same complex recently exercised a restrictive covenant, causing a delay. That restaurant may have since been paid out, paving the way for a 39,000 sq ft 2nd floor Eataly with a primary entrance on Bloor Street (former Jacob space), with retail space on the ground floor and concourse level of Manulife, as well.

Last edited:

NO NO NO!!!! The basis for this article is that The Bloor Street Diner is the only full -service restaurant in Manulife. This is INCORRECT. Scaccia has a full-service licensed dining room, and The One Eighty is also a full-service restaurant.

I bet that it wasn't an exclusivity clause that was the issue. Manulife probably tried to exercise a relocation or redevelopment (demolition) clause in their lease and this was the problem.

NO NO NO!!!! The basis for this article is that The Bloor Street Diner is the only full -service restaurant in Manulife. This is INCORRECT. Scaccia has a full-service licensed dining room, and The One Eighty is also a full-service restaurant.

I bet that it wasn't an exclusivity clause that was the issue. Manulife probably tried to exercise a relocation or redevelopment (demolition) clause in their lease and this was the problem.

Years ago, now, I was canvassed by a clipboard-clad individual outside the Manulife Centre asking me if I knew about Eataly (I did, having lived in NYC for years) and what I thought about its potential inclusion in Manulife. One of the things I've never loved about Manulife is how unwelcoming most of its frontage is from a retail perspective—it's really designed to take people into the mall and off the streets.

I suppose if they are planning to take over the BSD location, it's possible some significant construction could amend that frontage in a way that makes it much more inviting for pedestrians and passersby, but that seems like a whole bunch of awfully expensive work. Thinking solely of the NYC location, foot traffic around the store is crucial to its success—there's a cafe, gelato place, and fresh produce-to-go section immediately accessible directly off of two streets and there's a near-steady stream of people in and out of it. The various sitdown restaurant-ish stops are in the middle of the store.

I've always thought that either One Bloor or The One would be better suited, but with the former off the table and the latter still working its way through planning, neither of those seem the least bit tenable.

The Bloor Street Diner and the restaurant at the top of the tower are operated by the same company.

The Bloor Street Diner and the restaurant at the top of the tower are operated by the same company.

I wonder how Loblaws envisions dealing with the Bloor St. Market. Its 'owner' is quite influential w/in the Loblaws group of companies.

Its been suggested to me that she has plans to invest in the store, including created expanded in-house kitchen facilities.

They clearly sell things that Eataly would not; but does Loblaws envision both banners under the same roof?

We shall see.

I wonder how Loblaws envisions dealing with the Bloor St. Market. Its 'owner' is quite influential w/in the Loblaws group of companies.

I have a feeling that the Weston family *may* wield the most influence within the Loblaw group of companies :)

Buzzbuzzhome is now claiming that the exclusive is on take-out. Which also makes no sense, given Scaccia and The Bloor Street Market both do a lot of take-out business.

Its been suggested to me that she has plans to invest in the store, including created expanded in-house kitchen facilities.

They clearly sell things that Eataly would not; but does Loblaws envision both banners under the same roof?

We shall see.

The Bloor St. Market and Eataly are vastly different offerings—regardless of ownership, I would think a strong business case could be made for both to exist in the same complex.

Back