News   Apr 15, 2021
 796     0 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
I can't speak to the architects' involved or detailed proposals; but its not really all that secret that the City has been having 'discussions' over how to achieve certain planning objectives.
The City has been pushing the developers to cooperate for a few years, and now that KingSett owns half of it, it'll be a lot easier to get cooperation from fewer owners. What's new is the design competish that Josh has heard about.

Sodamiso

Member Bio
Reaction score
It looks like a new Apple store isopening at 77 Bloor West
20160518_200738.jpg

Attachments

• 20160518_200738.jpg
    20160518_200738.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 625

Retail-Insider

Member Bio
Reaction score
Last edited:

pw20

Member Bio
Reaction score
Pending design approval sounds like they want the old University Theatre facade (i.e. Pottery Barn), which is a heritage facade. Or am I reading too much into it?

Who's the Italian retailer taking over Sephora's old spot? Ferragamo?

Josh

Member Bio
Reaction score
Definitely reading too much into it - 'pending project design approval' could mean just about anything. Could be the Pottery Barn, could be 1 Bloor West, could be the Hudson's Bay space for all we know.

ADRM

Member Bio
Reaction score
If you're looking for a truly voluminous amount of Apple-related rumour mongering, head on over and look back through the 1 Bloor W thread...

I certainly fail to understand the exuberance over future Apple retail locations. I get that it's a nice tenant to have and that a fancy-ish standalone store would be neat, but it's sometimes positioned as a panacea of sorts for a neighbourhood's retail prospects. The stores all look more or less the same (with a few obvious worldwide exceptions), are generally overrun by tourists (at least in other prominent locations in other cities), and are generally characterized by a flat, unanimated, exterior glass wall at-grade.

mustangjay

Member Bio
Reaction score
Apple is a company notorious for secrecy regarding its business, including the location of future stores. Therefore, anybody proposing to have "inside" knowledge about where a store may open is talking out of their ass, plain and simple!

bcx

Member Bio
Reaction score
If you're looking for a truly voluminous amount of Apple-related rumour mongering, head on over and look back through the 1 Bloor W thread...

I certainly fail to understand the exuberance over future Apple retail locations. I get that it's a nice tenant to have and that a fancy-ish standalone store would be neat, but it's sometimes positioned as a panacea of sorts for a neighbourhood's retail prospects. The stores all look more or less the same (with a few obvious worldwide exceptions), are generally overrun by tourists (at least in other prominent locations in other cities), and are generally characterized by a flat, unanimated, exterior glass wall at-grade.

Feel free to ignore the aesthetics and cult-like excitement over the brand but reports are that Apple can raise a mall's sales by 10%:

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/03/11/apple-stores-boost-malls-sales-10.html

For anyone with a stake in the area, that's something to get excited about.

ADRM

Member Bio
Reaction score
Well, there's not really a mall in the area that would make sense for an Apple store, but I sorta take the point.