News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.1K     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 4.3K     8 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.9K     3 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

I also can't wait for the day when Jacob and Winners vacate Bloor. Although Winners is not too likely - they just don't belong there in my opinion. The other big question is who will end up taking over the current LV spot. I know that's a year away but that actually may make for a good 'House of Dior' - literally.

So the locations that are yet to announce who's taking over are the remaining 10,000 sq. ft beside the new LV, the Park Hyatt retail at the corner of Avenue and Bloor, and the old MAC spot (rumoured previously to be Links of London). My guess is Dior or Ferragamo beside LV (maybe Dolce and Gabbana), Breitling in the Hyatt, and Jimmy Choo in the old MAC spot.

Any takers on these predictions?

Wait, so they've announced who's going into the old Marciano spot?

As for Jacob...if it goes, my guess is that J.Crew would move in.

The Seiko boutique at the Colonnade has closed. Maybe this is where Breitling will move in to?

I personally like Jacobs! I hope it doesn't move. Its one of the few stores where you can some reasonably priced clothes.

How did u guys hear about breitling opening a standalone boutique on bloor???

This has been an ongoing rumour from a rep at Breitling Canada. There is no confirmed date or location so we're speculating right now that it could be the former Seiko shop.

New to the site (I normally just read and follow along) but saw this on the colonade website and wanted to update - perhaps the Seiko spot is going to Sermoneta Gloves (they spelt it wrong on the site).
http://www.thecolonnade.ca/storehours.html

Wow, Toronto is joining a pretty exclusive list of cities with that store. Nice to hear.
I never thought a Seiko boutique made sense, certainly not in that location. Seiko really isn't in the same league as most other high end watch makers.

It will be interesting to see how these niche accessory brands perform on Bloor (Fogal / Sermoneta). They are not major names (Prada / Kors etc).

article from the star today:

Back to Bloor rents among highest in world, top in Canada
Bloor rents among highest in world, top in Canada
September 02, 2011

Susan Pigg

FI-LUXE31 The Hermes store on Bloor Street West near Avenue Road on August 31, 2011 . For story on the luxury market seemingly unaware of the economy. CARLOS OSORIO/TORONTO STAR

CARLOS OSORIO/TORONTO STAR

When upscale designer-wear store Intermix opened its doors on Bloor Street last week, right next to chic neighbours Burberry and Hermès, it was more than a statement about high fashion.

It was yet another sign of how Toronto’s toniest retail strip continues to defy economic uncertainty, holding firm as the most expensive shopping street in Canada and the 20th most expensive in the world. It held the same ranking last year.

Rents that now exceed $325 (U.S.) per square foot annually aren’t putting off American and European retailers looking to get a toehold in the lucrative Canadian market, says commercial real estate consultant Cushman & Wakefield in its annual Main Streets Across the World 2011 research report released Thursday.

“Luxury retail has actually done very well (despite global economic upheaval) and retailers around the world are saying, ‘We’ve got to be in the best locations because that’s where we make the most money,’“ says John Crombie, a managing director at Cushman & Wakefield.

“They are looking at places like Bloor Street and Fifth Avenue in New York, Bond Street in London and saying, ‘Even though we spend a lot of money to be there, the sales and profile justify it.’“

Bloor St. W. rents are, in fact, a bargain compared with those in the top three most expensive shopping districts in the world: New York is No. 1 with rents hitting $2,250 (U.S.) per square foot, followed by Hong Kong’s Causeway Bay at $1,943 and Tokyo’s Ginza at $1,044, the report noted.

“Demand is expected to remain robust as retailers seek to enter new prime markets abroad rather than looking for compromised locations in their own backyards,” says researcher Martin Mahmuti.

The story isn’t quite as upbeat on Queen St. W. — the only Canadian main street where rents have dropped as a number of big-name brands, such as Esprit, have shuttered stores, says Crombie.

“Queen has just righted itself in terms of rates,” which have dropped from highs hitting $140 per square foot to the more realistic $100-a-square-foot range, he says.

“There was a bit of a herd mentality: ‘I can’t be on Bloor so I’ve got to be on Queen Street.’ But retailers didn’t do their homework. The customer base was too young and they just weren’t spending.”

The recent opening of Canada’s first Xbox 360 Central store on Queen just west of Spadina Ave. — touted as the hands-on “hub of all things entertainment and gaming” — is evidence of how the district is being “refreshed,” says Crombie.

“The retailers that should have been there are now going there and the retailers that shouldn’t have been there have vacated.”

That’s left Queen West storefronts better suited to “unique, one-off” retail, he added.

What I find really weird is how there is such a big difference between what Colliers says and what Cushman & Wakefield says. In either case, it's good news for Bloor and Toronto in general but it's like they're analysing two different streets.

Back