News   Apr 25, 2024
 36     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

@Northern Light Any news on new lessees for the Bloor St strip?? Looking forward to hearing!

Look for news on the former Zara space shortly,

Some news at the corner of Bay and Bloor too.

and something a bit further west..........

Should all be public w/i 3 weeks or so.

@Northern Light do you see landlords giving in and reducing rents (not just a Yorkville question but in general e.g. Queen West, Yonge, ...) as I've always hoped that'd be a catalyst to drive some retail growth ?

Honestly, most of the inner city, with traditional street based retail (e.g. Yonge, Queen, Bloor, King, ..., ...) seems in worse shape then a few years back, and of course that's too be expected (maybe NYCC being an exception but pretty much everything is a restaurant here with a lot of local demand). It's just not clear to me, with new trends (e.g. working from home, online {ok, not really new, ...}, ...) if this will ever change without a lot of rent reductions.

@Northern Light do you see landlords giving in and reducing rents (not just a Yorkville question but in general e.g. Queen West, Yonge, ...) as I've always hoped that'd be a catalyst to drive some retail growth ?

Honestly, most of the inner city, with traditional street based retail (e.g. Yonge, Queen, Bloor, King, ..., ...) seems in worse shape then a few years back, and of course that's too be expected (maybe NYCC being an exception but pretty much everything is a restaurant here with a lot of local demand). It's just not clear to me, with new trends (e.g. working from home, online {ok, not really new, ...}, ...) if this will ever change without a lot of rent reductions.

I haven't really been following the retail rent scene to be frank, I'm sure there others here better positioned to answer that, but I'll see if some of my contacts don't have an inkling....

Today.
IMG_4194D.jpeg
IMG_4195D.jpeg
IMG_4196D.jpeg

To follow up on this, I asked about and this is what I heard.

- Prices may have come off just a smidge and/or some 'incentives added' (ie. 3 months free rent or a credit towards fit-out) but overall, prices are not down much and the market is not particularly soft.

- There are still a few units that are not leased, in the area (or under negotiation) but maybe only 1/2 a dozen a-list spots, if that.

Last edited:
I'm not saying what this is yet; some of you probably know. But I'm not letting it out just yet. Don't want people grumbling at me. LOL

1682002926037.png

I believe retail inside said it was a “Canadian Retailer” and my mind went to Canada goose. Not sure if that’s right or not (and while you can eat Canadian geese you cannot eat Canada goose). I’m more intrigued by who rented the Zara space.

I believe retail inside said it was a “Canadian Retailer” and my mind went to Canada goose. Not sure if that’s right or not (and while you can eat Canadian geese you cannot eat Canada goose). I’m more intrigued by who rented the Zara space.

Technically you can eat a Canada Goose jacket however you would be quite sick.

It is not Canada Goose.

That much I can give away.

To follow up on this, I asked about and this is what I heard.

- Prices may have come off just a smidge and/or some 'incentives added' (ie. 3 months free rent or a credit towards fit-out) but overall, prices are not down much and the market is not particularly soft.

- There are still a few units that are not leased, in the area (or under negotiation) but maybe only 1/2 a dozen a-list spots, if that.

Thanks a ton for that ! That's very insightful.
I could see that being the case, though I do wonder about other not-so-prime area - example take WQW or even Queen East - but I think these are more structural issues with demand in the area - though still, I've always wondered if landlords are somehow incentivized to keep a retail spot empty over lowering rents to acquire any tenants.

Back