News   Mar 28, 2024
 983     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 554     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 846     0 

BlackBerry

I got tired of waiting, so I called a bunch of stores, found one with stock, and just went and picked one up. They (for the most part) honoured the discounts that I'd negotiated when I reserved it over the phone. The downside is that Rogers hates to miss an opportunity to screw something up, so I think that they've also shipped out the one that I was on the waiting list for (this despite me also calling in the next day to make sure that they cancelled my order).

The phone itself is amazing, especially the screen. It actually feels more like a little computer than a phone. It runs Android apps from the Amazon App Store, and the few that I couldn't find in this store (like Hailo, although from what I hear I'm not going to be able to use that for much longer) I downloaded with Snap. The keyboard is taking some getting used to (especially coming from a virtual keyboard), but I can tell that I'm going to be at least as fast using it as I was on my Z10. The size isn't a problem at all...it fits in my pockets just fine. All in all, I'm very happy.

Well, here I am typing this update on my new BlackBerry Passport. Picked it up yesterday. Not that packaging is a big factor for me but it was handsomely packaged in a nicely designed box. The phone really isn't a phone per se but as Hank described, more like a little computer. I see it as a small tablet more than anything.

While at first it seems big, after a few minutes with the Passport then switching to my outgoing BlackBerry Bold, the Bold's tiny keys seemed overly small. I'm still faster typing on the Bold but the Passport is in fact easier, I find. After 2 days with this I'm typing pretty darn well, to be honest.

I love the technical aspects of the phone as well as the overall build quality. The OS is slick, fast, smooth and light years ahead of BlackBerry 7. I'm very happy with this 'phablet' so far.

If I had to nitpick, I'd agree that typing with one hand is quite hard but then again, typing with one hand shouldn't really be the norm so I can't say I'm disappointed, surprised or upset about it. Also, while I don't find it overly top heavy, you do have to balance the phone with your hands while you're typing.

All in all, the Passport is fantastic and allows me to do everything I normally do on my cel phone (and more), making it a perfect productivity tool as well as a great overall mobile device.

Last edited:
I was checking out new phones yesterday: Passport vs iPhone 6 Plus and Galaxy Note 4. The Passport would make a fantastic "first smartphone" purchase if you've never gone that way yet. It's quite nice, but the iPhone 6 Plus simply feels more like a jewel. However, aside from the less than thrilling exterior, the Note 4 simply can't be beat as a productivity tool and is thus my next phone. I really wanted to buy the 6 Plus, but the lack of multitasking is a deal killer.

I love to be different and the Passport has the cool vibe to it--however, once you go Note, it's hard to go back to regular phones.

My favourite phone design of the year though is the Panasonic Toughpad. It reminds me of those cool late '80s Sony Sportsman Walkman's I loved so much. It just needs better specs and Android L. I'm surprised more UTites aren't fans, considering their popularity with the trades.

Last edited:
The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is definitely a good choice for in the realm of phablets. A friend of mine is debating between the Passport and the Note 4. I haven't had a chance to play around the Samsung device but specs-wise, it's a powerhouse. For my mix of business and personal requirements, the Passport is a perfect fit for me but there's no denying the appeal of the Note 4.

I don't want to come across as a BlackBerry cheerleader but Kim Kardashian most recently gave BlackBerry a generous plug at a tech conference in California.

http://www.cnet.com/news/kim-kardashians-on-a-mission-to-save-blackberry/

Kim Kardashian's on a mission to save BlackBerry

The reality TV star says she still uses the years-old BlackBerry Bold -- and keeps three replacements available at all times in case her phone breaks.

by Shara Tibken @sharatibken October 27, 2014 5:03 PM PDT

HALF MOON BAY, Calif. -- Forget Alicia Keys. BlackBerry should have called up Kim Kardashian to be its spokesperson.

The reality TV star on Monday said during the Recode mobile conference that she would like to buy BlackBerry -- or at least help make sure the company doesn't go out of business.

"BlackBerry is my heart and soul," she said. "I love it. I will never get rid of it."

Kardashian still uses a years-old BlackBerry Bold but does have an iPhone for posting photos and other items to social media.

"Sometimes I'll send up a Twitpic on my BlackBerry," she said. "I use an older one, though. They don't have them in stores anymore. I buy them on eBay. I have three lined up in my room so if they break. If one breaks and I'm down to two, I search on eBay until I have my third. I have anxiety I'll run out."

Kardashian, who rose to fame for a sex tape, leveraged her notoriety into a reality TV show and then cultivated a massive social media following. A photo in May from her wedding to rapper Kanye West became the most liked photograph in Instagram history, with 1.92 million people showing their appreciation for the pic. And 24.8 million people follow Kardashian on Twitter.

Kardashian West in late June also introduced a video game, called Kim Kardashian: Hollywood, through a partnership with Glu Mobile. The free game, which includes in-app purchases for clothing and other items, quickly rose in the rankings of Apple's App Store for most-downloaded free-to-play games. According to app tracker AppAnnie, Kim Kardashian: Hollywood is currently the eighth highest grossing of all iOS apps, and analyst firm Cowen & Co. estimated in July that annual revenue from the game may reach $200 million.

BlackBerry, meanwhile, has struggled to gain traction in a mobile market dominated by Apple and Google's Android operating system. The company was a trailblazer in mobile phones but missed the transition to smartphones. It tapped singer Alicia Keys in January 2013 to be its global creative director to inspire the future of the company. The two parted ways a year later.

Well, it's been 6 months with my BlackBerry Passport and time has flown by in a flash. It really is an awesome device. It'll be interesting to see how BlackBerry will do in their turnaround. It's been over a year now and they've cut their expenses tremendously and are now cash flow positive. Revenues are still down so that's a big unknown moving forward, particularly as they diversify outside of hardware sales. I hope they can re-invent themselves and regain some of their past success.

Well, it's been 6 months with my BlackBerry Passport and time has flown by in a flash. It really is an awesome device. It'll be interesting to see how BlackBerry will do in their turnaround. It's been over a year now and they've cut their expenses tremendously and are now cash flow positive. Revenues are still down so that's a big unknown moving forward, particularly as they diversify outside of hardware sales. I hope they can re-invent themselves and regain some of their past success.

I hope they can too- wonder if they would finally drop the keypad and go more like apple and samsung?

There are a number of full-screen blackberries.

This is true. Due to BlackBerry's decision to cut their marketing budget (in their efforts to reduce expenses and generate a positive earnings for shareholders), one big drawback is that most people, BlackBerry fans and non-fans alike, simply don't know what product lineup BlackBerry is offering.

Case in point, recently released phones include the BlackBerry Passport, Classic, P9981 Porsche Design and Leap.

blackberry-passport.jpg

9182014105216AM_635_blackberry_porsche_design_p9983.jpeg

^ BlackBerry Porsche Design P9983

leap-coming-soon-1.jpg

^ BlackBerry Leap

I'm pretty sure Raptors G.M. (do the raptors have a Ford or Chystler as well?) Massai Ujiri enjoys his blackberry passport, from all the commercials during the NBA Play offs

I'm pretty sure Raptors G.M. (do the raptors have a Ford or Chystler as well?) Massai Ujiri enjoys his blackberry passport, from all the commercials during the NBA Play offs

If his track record for trades is any indication, they should give a BB Passport to Shanny too

Today I finally replaced my BB Priv with a new BB Key 2. I have to say, I love this phone, the quality of the keys, the larger (and permanent) keyboard than the Priv.

https://blackberrymobile.com/produc..._medium=cb_mainbar&utm_campaign=mobilenations

My phone before the Priv was a Nokia 1020 running Windows IOS, and it had a fantastic camera. This new Key 2 camera seems pretty sweet too.

I have my iPad for larger screen needs, and I find the screen size on the Key 2 is fine with the keyboard. Mind you I’m not on social media or YouTube much, instead most of my phone time is texting via WeChat, WhatsApp, BBM, Skype, etc.where the keyboard helps this old guy type .

Today I finally replaced my BB Priv with a new BB Key 2. I have to say, I love this phone, the quality of the keys, the larger (and permanent) keyboard than the Priv.

https://blackberrymobile.com/produc..._medium=cb_mainbar&utm_campaign=mobilenations

My phone before the Priv was a Nokia 1020 running Windows IOS, and it had a fantastic camera. This new Key 2 camera seems pretty sweet too.

I have my iPad for larger screen needs, and I find the screen size on the Key 2 is fine with the keyboard. Mind you I’m not on social media or YouTube much, instead most of my phone time is texting via WeChat, WhatsApp, BBM, Skype, etc.where the keyboard helps this old guy type .

That looks like the Blackberry they should've released 5 years ago.

I realize the hardware is outsourced, and I suppose they figure they have to appeal to their core audience. However, I can't help but feel they could put out a much more compelling keyboard based product.

Back