News   Apr 26, 2024
 169     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 368     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 532     0 

BlackBerry

So the BlackBerry Passport was officially released last week. I've tried to get hold of one at the Rogers store but they're not getting them for another 2 weeks. Apparently the first 200,000 units have already been sold out. Being someone who uses his phone for business, I'm very interested in trying out this new device. If anyone's been able to try it out and would like to provide their comments and feedback, I'm sure I, and others here, would be more than happy to hear about it!

Tried it at Telus for 30 minutes. I loved the screen but the keyboard is awkward and wide. The space bar is too small. It doesn't feel right. I remember when I tried my Z30 and I loved the screen but was not a fan of the touch screen. Everyone said I would get use to it. I hate this phone not because of the operating system but because I miss my bold keyboard. Anything you have to get use to in life is not a good thing. Smoking is a good example. Anyways I'll wait for the classic or might get a q10.

I'd definitely consider the Z30 but I am one of those who do prefer a physical keyboard. I'm eager and open to give the Passport a try but the upcoming release of the Classic could be something I consider as well.

Tried it at Telus for 30 minutes. I loved the screen but the keyboard is awkward and wide. The space bar is too small. It doesn't feel right. I remember when I tried my Z30 and I loved the screen but was not a fan of the touch screen. Everyone said I would get use to it. I hate this phone not because of the operating system but because I miss my bold keyboard. Anything you have to get use to in life is not a good thing. Smoking is a good example. Anyways I'll wait for the classic or might get a q10.

I had a Bold 9900 and switched to the Z10 and, even though it was a bit of a transition, I ended up loving the touchscreen keyboard (and I was at least as fast on it, and probably faster, than I was on the 9900). After using the Z10 for a while I didn't think that I'd ever switch back to a physical keyboard, but the passport has won me over (I've played with it at Telus and pre-ordered one from Rogers). I'm sure it'll be an adjustment to go back to the physical keyboard (especially with the different layout on the passport), but even in the ten minutes or so I tested it out at the store I could tell that it wouldn't be a particularly difficult transition.

Everyone's different, of course, but if you already like the idea of a hardware keyboard it might be that the layout on the passport (with the smaller space bar and only three rows of keys) wouldn't be an impediment for too long.

I had a Bold 9900 and switched to the Z10 and, even though it was a bit of a transition, I ended up loving the touchscreen keyboard (and I was at least as fast on it, and probably faster, than I was on the 9900). After using the Z10 for a while I didn't think that I'd ever switch back to a physical keyboard, but the passport has won me over (I've played with it at Telus and pre-ordered one from Rogers). I'm sure it'll be an adjustment to go back to the physical keyboard (especially with the different layout on the passport), but even in the ten minutes or so I tested it out at the store I could tell that it wouldn't be a particularly difficult transition.

Everyone's different, of course, but if you already like the idea of a hardware keyboard it might be that the layout on the passport (with the smaller space bar and only three rows of keys) wouldn't be an impediment for too long.

I hate auto correct. and on a physical keyboard I know where all the commas and periods are and other functions... With a physical keyboard I can type without ever looking at the screen. constantly I am correcting mistakes if I do that with a touch screen.

I hate auto correct. and on a physical keyboard I know where all the commas and periods are and other functions... With a physical keyboard I can type without ever looking at the screen. constantly I am correcting mistakes if I do that with a touch screen.
I thought I'd be the same, and miss my BB Bold 9900, but love my Nokia 1020.

I thought I'd be the same, and miss my BB Bold 9900, but love my Nokia 1020.

Lumia-1020-Infographic1.jpg

Attachments

• Lumia-1020-Infographic1.jpg
    Lumia-1020-Infographic1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 717
So here's an interesting comparison:

ByV_dv7CYAI_fo5.jpg

Strange...they appear to be showing all the ways that the Passport is better than the iPhone (highlighting those ways in red), but then they show a weight of 6.91oz for the Passport vs 4.55oz for the iPhone...is it hip to be heavy, now? That being said, I'm excited to get my passport (although I'm #330 on the waiting list now which, for an iPhone, might mean that I'd get it soon...for the Passport I think they've been somewhat surprised by the response, so it might be a while before they can catch up). I really like my Z10, but I'm really thinking that the Passport may be a game changer.

Here is a link to the original Wall Street Journal article where that comparison illustration was sourced from: http://online.wsj.com/articles/blackberry-unveils-its-passport-smartphone-1411567269?mod=e2fb

Right now I'm just waiting for a Rogers location to get the Passport in stock before I upgrade. I'll admit I was down on BlackBerry last year but ever since John Chen came on board as the new CEO, replacing the dismal Thorsten Heins, I think BlackBerry is getting a new life, not to mention a new corporate vision.

I got a chance to play with a Passport the other day, and found it to be a fantastic phone. It wasn't all that "top heavy" as some reviewers had commented. The typing was just as good as any other BB keyboard. Fit and finish was solid. The new OS was super fast and smooth. For productivity, and especially for business people, I think this phone/phablet is perfect.

So just to provide an update, I put a deposit to reserve/order the BlackBerry Passport from Rogers. They don't currently have any so I'm essentially on a wait list and the product will be shipped to my local store when it's available. Will let you all know what the leadtime is.

So just to provide an update, I put a deposit to reserve/order the BlackBerry Passport from Rogers. They don't currently have any so I'm essentially on a wait list and the product will be shipped to my local store when it's available. Will let you all know what the leadtime is.

I hope you ordered it from their consumer department and not the business department. People on the consumer waiting list have been reporting that their units are shipping, I've heard that some stores in town are getting units in, meanwhile I've been sitting at #330 on the business reservation list for the past week. I hate Rogers.

I hope you ordered it from their consumer department and not the business department. People on the consumer waiting list have been reporting that their units are shipping, I've heard that some stores in town are getting units in, meanwhile I've been sitting at #330 on the business reservation list for the past week. I hate Rogers.

Wow, #330 through the business department?! That's wild. I did order it as a retail customer and am currently sitting at #14 on the waitlist. I'm not in a rush to get it and I've already figured it'll probably take a week or so, which is not unreasonable.

Well, checking the latest status on my BlackBerry Passport order, it appears that the shipping process has begun. Although I'm not sure what that really entails, it does sound like there is progress fulfilling the Passport device orders.

Back