1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 375     0 

Black Lives Matter Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it also didn't help that they invited an organization known for their protests and sit-ins to participate. Pride should have anticipated that they'd use the high profile event to raise their own profile.

I don't think they have a choice not to (and honestly, they should have as a gesture of openness).

AoD

Why can't BLM have their own parade? Why do protest groups about racism or Israel need to hijack a parade that is about gays? It's like Occupy with a bunch of unrelated causes trying to use the same platform which just waters down the message and causes in-fighting.

I don't think they are hijacking anyone's parade. There are many black members of the LGBT community. QUAIA was, as I understand it, a queer organization (thus I fail to understand how they are "hijacking" a pride parade). All of these issues intersect. People can experience both racism and homophobia.

Personally, I think Pride should be open and inclusionary. If it held to those principles when QUAIA was spouting its anti-Semitic rhetoric and targeting Jews, and came out of it stronger, then I find this recent decision to be most disappointing.

I don't think they are hijacking anyone's parade. There are many black members of the LGBT community. QUAIA was, as I understand it, a queer organization (thus I fail to understand how they are "hijacking" a pride parade). All of these issues intersect. People can experience both racism and homophobia.

Personally, I think Pride should be open and inclusionary. If it held to those principles when QUAIA was spouting its anti-Semitic rhetoric and targeting Jews, and came out of it stronger, then I find this recent decision to be most disappointing.

I think QuAIA is misguided, but I don't think they are necessarily "anti-Semitic" - anti-Israeli state, definitely. In any case, QuAIA is lead by some veterans in the community, so its' cred as an LGBT org is legitimate.

AoD

So why not throw a Queers for Trump group into the mix? Queers for Lower Taxes? Queers for More CBC Funding? It just distracts from the cause.

So why not throw a Queers for Trump group into the mix? Queers for Lower Taxes? Queers for More CBC Funding? It just distracts from the cause.

Have you been to the Pride parade? There are groups just like that, if not those specific groups. LGBT groups for political parties, LGBT for election candidates, LGBT business groups, LGBT arts groups, etc. Pride is, at its root and core, a political exercise as much as it is a celebration. The parade reflects the community, which is diverse, wide and made up of many different people.

Fail to comprehend how embracing all facets of the LGBT community and its many different viewpoints and interests somehow "distracts from the cause".

I think it is the LGBT community which is best placed to decide how best to advance its cause.

Honestly though, BLM chose the event particularly because it is high profile and inductive to their message. Can you imagine a protest of a similar nature at Caribana?

We'll have to agree to disagree on that first part.

Not a big deal either way to me - the group is defunct, ineffective and probably did more damage to themselves than anyone else.

The right to drink and get naked in public? :)

Why would we want to be straights (as if the LGBT community were the first ones to do both!)

AoD

Last edited:
Honestly though, BLM chose the event particularly because it is high profile and inductive to their message. Can you imagine a protest of a similar nature at Caribana?

AoD

Nope, because I doubt those taking part at Caribana would have any qualms pushing BLM out of the way and continuing on their parade.

And another thing, Sandy is one of those students harassing a very courageous professor who refuses to commit to memory and to use increasingly numerous Gender Pronouns.
And of course, every critical word you just said about BLM, has no meaning at all, after the extreme bigotry of the last sentence. He's not campaigning to be able to get things wrong. He's campaigning to knowingly mis-identify people based on his own bigoted beliefs. #fail

And of course, every critical word you just said about BLM, has no meaning at all, after the extreme bigotry of the last sentence. He's not campaigning to be able to get things wrong. He's campaigning to knowingly mis-identify people based on his own bigoted beliefs. #fail

When everything is extreme, nothing is extreme - and when something truly extreme shows up you'd have nothing left to call it.

AoD

Shame on Pride caving in to this hate-filled racist anti-anything but black bigots. My boyfriend and I will be skipping Pride events this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back