Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

I think a big reason why Porter is ranked so high (for economy class) is the experience of flying from Billy Bishop which includes the quaint ferry ride and the comfort of a passenger lounge stocked with free drinks and snacks - something that is unheard of in economy. The experience is stress free - just the opposite of Pearson. Once you get on the aircraft the free beer and snacks are nice although the Q400 is only comfortable on short haul flights. Once the CSeries go into service passengers will be able to enjoy wide-body comfort. I suspect that we will see Porter introduce a business class section on these jets as well. The best is yet to come!

I would hardly call 5-abreast seating "wide body".
You've obviously never flown on one of Air Canada's Beachcraft. I used to fly on this from Fredericton to Halifax and always thought that in comparison a Q400 was wide body.

air-canada9-7430-110508.jpg

Attachments

• air-canada9-7430-110508.jpg
    air-canada9-7430-110508.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,079
I think "wide body" has a definition within the industry and I believe part of that definition is having more than one aisle

Normally I don't mind noise from the airport too much but today (Sunday, November 17th, 2013) I could't stop hearing planes keep roaming non-stop, either waiting for their turn to take off, testing their engines, landing or taking off. I checked the schedule of the BB Airport and found that there were 84 arrivals and 83 departures planned for today, from 8:00am to 11:00pm. That means a take-off or landing in every 5 minutes, while another 2-3 planes waiting while running up their engines. Noise calculation by Toronto Port Authority does not include any of those elements: landings, take-offs, engine run-ups, helicopters, private planes AND it is based on 24 hour exposure while airport is open only for 17 hours. This is a NOISY airport, like any other around the world.

This is a NOISY airport, like any other around the world.

Agreed and it motivated me to move away from the waterfront area; I purchased prior to Porter launching. Enjoyed the flight school (fun to watch) but got little joy from living near a commercial airport.

I do wonder if the island airport will be there in 20-30 years. Once the Pearson train is made into a high speed run, and if the Pickering airport is built, Billy Bishop may find it's not profitable.

I do wonder if the island airport will be there in 20-30 years. Once the Pearson train is made into a high speed run, and if the Pickering airport is built, Billy Bishop may find it's not profitable.

How much higher speed could they achieve on the Pearson train?

Pickering would only impact the profitability if airlines who use Billy Bishop stopped doing so. Well, one of those airlines (AC) could leave with no impact....but why would Porter leave Billy Bishop to fly out of Pickering?

How much higher speed could they achieve on the Pearson train?

Pickering would only impact the profitability if airlines who use Billy Bishop stopped doing so. Well, one of those airlines (AC) could leave with no impact....but why would Porter leave Billy Bishop to fly out of Pickering?
For a start, we don't know if Porter is profitable. It's a private company, so who cares, but Deluce will likely expire within the timeline I suggested, and the new owners may not see the business case. I love flying on Porter, but it's a rare day that I see the aircraft more than 50% full.

Back