Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

Context is always essential.

Yup. I have a feeling that 'Jap bike knock-offs' isn't referring to Jews, though. But ya never know...

topleft.jpg

I must point out that this is the worst racial slur you can possibly use against the Japanese-Canadian (or -American) community. It's like using the n-word for those of African descent. These days, a lot of people are unaware of this because the Japanese community is so small, but owing to the use of this slur during WWII (when my parents - who were born here - were put in prison camps), it is simply unacceptable. The abbreviation in writing is "jpn" for "Japan" and "jpnz" for "Japanese".

I do acknowledge that no offence was intended by Beez. In fact, I have not in recent memory experienced anyone using the term with malice. Still, it's important to know just how hurtful a small thing like that can be. When I read the post, it took my breath away to see it in print.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I certainly meant no offence, and will remember this lesson going forward.

Your post reminded me of a former prisoner of war who had been captured by the Japanese when they attacked Hong Kong, who had an Ontario vanity plate marked JAP POW. The plate was approved by the MTO and it wasn't until IIRC the local Japanese population complained that he was forced to change it to JPN POW. He was none to pleased, since he probably used the word during the war and only experienced PC and cross-cultural respect later in life, but he was reported to have no anger towards today's Japanese, much how today's Israelis work well with Germans.

i was sitting in H2O park a few weekends back and watched a number of planes take off including a couple of Porter ones. about 4 small single engine planes also took off, about a 10 seater, with the wing at the bottom of the fuselage (as opposed to overhead). I have to say the amount of noise they create is unbelievable. they are at least twice as noisy as Porter's planes which in comparison are barely audible.

Indeed, the smaller craft and helicopters are much, much louder than the Porter Craft. I still don't approve of the Island airport for any such purpose.

I agree with the comment on motorcycles. Late on Wednesday or Thursday night one of those souped-up motorcycles came by my building as I was on the PC here and it literally made my bedroom window vibrate & rattle on the 24th floor. I hope the guy goes deaf from self induced stupidity.

Indeed, the smaller craft and helicopters are much, much louder than the Porter Craft. I still don't approve of the Island airport for any such purpose..
I live in Cabbagetown and am frequently annoyed with that orange coloured helicopter that continuously flies in and out of downtown, plus those buzzy float planes, whereas I rarely notice the Porter Air Dash-8s. I remember when I used to live in Meadowvale in Mississauga, and boy you couldn't open your windows in the summer due to the low flying planes, so it's all relative.
I agree with the comment on motorcycles. Late on Wednesday or Thursday night one of those souped-up motorcycles came by my building as I was on the PC here and it literally made my bedroom window vibrate & rattle on the 24th floor. I hope the guy goes deaf from self induced stupidity.
Funny thing is, even with the most powerful motorcycle, you can make it run quietly. I ride a 1969 Triumph with very limited exhaust silencing, but can still creep home at low rpm making no more noise than a VW diesel Jetta. Any motorcycle is capable of making a racket, you just need to put it in neutral or 1st and rev it.

I live in Cabbagetown and am frequently annoyed with that orange coloured helicopter that continuously flies in and out of downtown

You mean the ones taking injured people to the hospitals downtown?

In my email today...

Porter Airlines is growing its operations base at Toronto City Centre Airport (TCCA) to accommodate increasing passenger levels as it prepares to begin service to New York and other destinations in 2008.

Construction begins this month on an extended terminal, including three additional arrival and departure gates. The project is scheduled for completion by Dec. 31, with passenger areas continuing to feature leather lounge seating, complimentary wireless Internet access, beverages and snacks, while offering greater availability of computer work stations.

"The terminal experience is a defining aspect of Porter, emphasizing convenience, service and sophistication," said Robert Deluce, president and CEO of Porter Airlines. "This growth is part of our original plan to serve at least 17 Canadian and U.S. destinations, and we will continue delivering on Porter's 'flying refined' promise as we enter new markets."

Porter's terminal investment is driven by the airline's strong financial performance, including average monthly revenue growth of over 20 per cent since beginning flights October 23, 2006. June saw a net-profit margin of eight per cent.

"Porter has been a well-financed company from the beginning and our most recent financial figures indicate that our business model is sound as we enter into the next phase of our development," said Deluce. "An eight per cent net income margin is among the strongest in the North American airline industry. With consistent revenue growth, our numbers will continue to exceed expectations and the next steps in our growth can be taken with confidence."

Sincerely,

The Porter Airlines team

I wish them well. Over the past month or so, conditions in the financial markets have changed, not for the better, and I wonder how easy it will be now for them to access the new financing they speak of, and at what cost.

I live on the central harbourfront (Harbour Square) and just sold my condo due to the pending rapid expansion of Porter Airlines. My reason for selling is that I will not enjoy the community with an active commercial airline operating nearby.

I've also spoken to numerous residents over the past few months about Porter. Most of these residents do not know how successful Porter is and have no idea that they are about to expand in a big way. About a third of those that I spoke with said they will sell their condo if Porter expands to its maximum capacity. My guess is that some portion of the remaining two-thirds will also be concerned when their expansion is complete. (currently, Porter is operating 4 planes and has plans to expand to 10 in 2008. They have plans to eventually expand to 20.)

I post this as a warning to anyone considering the purchase of a condo on the waterfront. You should research Porter and their future plans. And you should consider future investment value: if one-third of residents decide to move out over the course of the next few years, it could drive investment values downward. In addition, demand for waterfront condos could fall.

I know many of you will come out and defend Porter and I respect and understand your opinions. The sole purpose of my post here is simply to encourage all potential purchasers of a waterfront condo to research Porter first and perhaps talk to residents.

The whole condo/Porter business is quite hilarious. I live right by the waterfront and I've never noticed the noise. Even standing right next to the airport on the island, the noise is far from unbearable and only lasts a few seconds. It's clearly way quieter than the streetcars and horn honking that are an inevitable part of city life.

The best part: I flew Porter recently, and the entire terminal is wallpapered with condo ads. All of them advertised as their big selling point being "Only 5 minutes to the Island Airport!"

The whole condo/Porter business is quite hilarious. I live right by the waterfront and I've never noticed the noise. Even standing right next to the airport on the island, the noise is far from unbearable and only lasts a few seconds. It's clearly way quieter than the streetcars and horn honking that are an inevitable part of city life.

The best part: I flew Porter recently, and the entire terminal is wallpapered with condo ads. All of them advertised as their big selling point being "Only 5 minutes to the Island Airport!"

Have we found a new definition of irony?

Well....one-third of all the residents that I spoke with in my building intend to sell.....you say it is 'quite hilarious'. OK...so, if it doesn't bother you, then everyone else is crazy, right? Interesting attitude!

Again, anyway, the point I wanted to make was that many residents I spoke with will sell if/when Porter expands. That's it. Period.

Back