Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

The change in attitudes on this forum about the Island Airport from a few years ago to recently with the start of Porter operations has been quite remarkable. Three years ago to defend the airport on UT was damn near heresy.

Nfitz,

Noise is the issue for me. That is why I don't like it. But I am not complaining about it. Someone can dislike something but at the same time not complain.
Fair point.

I noticed you said you live near Woodbine. Do you live in the Beach? I am thinking of buying a house there? Any advice?
Not that near the beach - about a 15-minute walk. I'm near Gerrard (and if noise is an issue, the 24-hour streetcar service on Gerrard - and Queen, as well as the freight trains at night on the CN tracks might be an issue) - though honestly the only time I've ever noticed is if there are replacement diesel buses chugging up the hill, or if I can't sleep one night, and the windows are opening (and it's not annoying - more like ... oh no, there's another one, that's 15-more minutes I've been lying here awake!).

Hard to give advise - depends on what your looking for. My best advise is find a good real estate agent, and secondly buy when the market is cool. Which is November actually, as there'll be few new listings with Christmas approaching, and the summer rush is over - so if your lucky you might pick something up a bit cheaper, and without the bidding war, in the summer.

And prices can really escalate near the lake, and nearer Queen - but there are bargain areas to be had. East of Coxwell is cheaper, and north of Kingston Road. If where your going in the day is an issue, you might want to position yourself near a convenient transit route. For rushhour service nothing beats the subway, so being near a station, or the very frequent Coxwell or Main buses is useful.

And parking can be an issue too in some areas. I saw a couple of houses that were great, but the parking would have been too horrendous. And unfortunately 2 cars are a must at the moment.

Fair point.

Not that near the beach - about a 15-minute walk. I'm near Gerrard (and if noise is an issue, the 24-hour streetcar service on Gerrard - and Queen, as well as the freight trains at night on the CN tracks might be an issue) - though honestly the only time I've ever noticed is if there are replacement diesel buses chugging up the hill, or if I can't sleep one night, and the windows are opening (and it's not annoying - more like ... oh no, there's another one, that's 15-more minutes I've been lying here awake!).

Hard to give advise - depends on what your looking for. My best advise is find a good real estate agent, and secondly buy when the market is cool. Which is November actually, as there'll be few new listings with Christmas approaching, and the summer rush is over - so if your lucky you might pick something up a bit cheaper, and without the bidding war, in the summer.

And prices can really escalate near the lake, and nearer Queen - but there are bargain areas to be had. East of Coxwell is cheaper, and north of Kingston Road. If where your going in the day is an issue, you might want to position yourself near a convenient transit route. For rushhour service nothing beats the subway, so being near a station, or the very frequent Coxwell or Main buses is useful.

And parking can be an issue too in some areas. I saw a couple of houses that were great, but the parking would have been too horrendous. And unfortunately 2 cars are a must at the moment.

Thanks for the advice! And Go Porter Go!

The change in attitudes on this forum about the Island Airport from a few years ago to recently with the start of Porter operations has been quite remarkable. Three years ago to defend the airport on UT was damn near heresy.
Yeah, didn't live in Toronto then. I have no idea why anyone would have been opposed to transit infrastructure; particularly when convenient and more green than driving to Pearson (and far less stressful). I know Miller and the NDP used to be against the airport - but I can't fathom how that came about.

"if your listening for it."
"If your not"
"depends on what your looking for"
"so if your lucky"
"If where your going in the day"

FrankGrimes.thumbnail.gif

I'm not trying to be rude... I just can't take it any more!

I have never lived in the Beaches but it's my understanding that service on the Queen streetcar sometimes is not the most reliable (main source: Steve Munro's excellent site). I think the point made by nfitz is valid, live near a reliable transit line, if you have to commute to a job outside the area.

I live right across from the H2O park, and never here anything from Porter - the streetcars running down Queens Quay (esspecially over the bridge) is a million times louder. The only thing that annoys me about the airport are when the huge military transport planes land there - now those guys are extremely loud! Always has the cat running for cover....

On another note, Porter's beginning non-stop service to Mount Tremblant. Brilliant! It's the closest ski hill worth going to and I'll definitely be using this service at least once this winter. I wonder if this route will be successful...

you are = you're

your = possessive
Ah. Yes, I see what you mean. Oddly I know that, and it never used to give me trouble ... my apologies for the spelling errors. Perhaps I've contracted some odd illness that impacted by grammar :) Thanks for pointing it out.

Ah. Yes, I see what you mean. Oddly I know that, and it never used to give me trouble ... my apologies for the spelling errors. Perhaps I've contracted some odd illness that impacted by grammar :) Thanks for pointing it out.
Oh, it will definitely give you trouble, I assure you.

You can quickly and accurately measure a person's communicative ability and attention to detail by their poor use of grammar and spelling. We don't have to be perfect in discussion boards such as this, and I've made my share of typos (used to spell separate as seperate, for example), but continuously negligent prose shows that you don't care much for your audience, nor yourself.

When I started my first corporate job back in the late 1990s, part of the interview process was a typed essay without spell or grammer check, specifically designed to catch those folks who can not clearly communicate.

Some of my pet peeves...

- Those that say pronounciation when it's pronunciation.
- You're replaced by your
- They're replaced by their or there
- Our replaced by are
- Misuse of I with me, or them with us

Back