Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

High speed rail... Perhaps if Stephen Dion gets elected...

http://www.liberal.ca/story_12441_e.aspx

Mr. Zed called on the Harper government to specifically address the themes outlined in the report, and in particular calls on the government to work with the provinces to implement the Conference Board’s recommendations that:

• Provincial and federal governments increase their investments in affordable housing in Canada’s major cities.
  • All levels of government incorporate the improvement of the accessibility and efficiency of airports, rail and other methods of inter-city transport into infrastructure development plans.
  • All levels of government use fiscal tools, such as charging higher wastewater disposal fees and solid waste tipping fees, to support environmentally sound practices.
  • The federal and provincial governments undertake full feasibility studies for high-speed rail transit in both the Windsor–Québec City and Calgary–Edmonton corridors; and quantify the socio-economic benefits and costs for each project to determine the requisite level of government support.

High speed rail... Perhaps if Stephen Dion gets elected...

http://www.liberal.ca/story_12441_e.aspx

Mr. Zed called on the Harper government to specifically address the themes outlined in the report, and in particular calls on the government to work with the provinces to implement the Conference Board’s recommendations that:

• Provincial and federal governments increase their investments in affordable housing in Canada’s major cities.
  • All levels of government incorporate the improvement of the accessibility and efficiency of airports, rail and other methods of inter-city transport into infrastructure development plans.
  • All levels of government use fiscal tools, such as charging higher wastewater disposal fees and solid waste tipping fees, to support environmentally sound practices.
  • The federal and provincial governments undertake full feasibility studies for high-speed rail transit in both the Windsor–Québec City and Calgary–Edmonton corridors; and quantify the socio-economic benefits and costs for each project to determine the requisite level of government support.

The mind-numbing nature of that last bullet should give you a good sense as to the timeframe of such a project.

Just had my first experience with Porter tonight. I picked someone up upon their arrival in Toronto. The plane was on time, however there were issues with baggage. In any case, I hope Porter grows and prospers, and am thrilled that my waterfront includes a mini airport with a successful airline. The plane was apparently 75% full. Though I am not against it, I really don't see the need for a car bridge. A pedestrian bridge with a moving sidewalk would suffice.

No way. They should keep the ferry. They should also dig a moat in front of the Pearson terminals with passenger ferries. The biggest complaint about Pearson is that the airport lacks a Toronto flavour... ferries might fix it.

Très amusant!

It would be much cheaper to force Pearson arrivees through a barrage of hotdog vendors though, rather than having to build highrise moats, if one wants Toronto flavour at our International Airport.

Since streetcars are our heritage, we should replace the cable car with streetcars. At least they'd be extendable to Woodbine. SFO should get cable cars instead.

Speaking of cable cars of a sort, bring back the Alpine Way!

Or better, build a transporter bridge to the Island Airport
s31.jpg

Despite my personal objection to the Island Airport I've commented here before that I don't find the Porter aircraft noise offensive down at the Queens Quay area but I sure did hear them approaching the Island Airport over Cherry Beach on Saturday. Perhaps ambient noise in the Queens Quay area helps mask the aircraft noise, perhaps engines are operating very low on final approach - I don't know.

Yeh I believe one of the appeals of the Dash Q400 series is that is among the quietest regional aircraft, especially for a turboprop. That and the fact that it has a very fast cruising speed, not significantly less than regional jets. It apparently it is very economical as well, with flights breaking even with just 1/3 passenger capacity.

In today's Globe, there is an article regarding Porter seeking financing to begin a major push into other US destinations (ex. Boston, Washington). The article also mentioned a study done by MBA students suggesting that profitability is possible as Bogtrotter mentioned above, at about 1/3 capacity.

Since streetcars are our heritage, we should replace the cable car with streetcars. At least they'd be extendable to Woodbine.

Yes! I have always believed that this would be excellent. I'd make them high-platform loading so people don't have to carry their bags up the steps, no worries about crowding at the front door, as you would have multiple dorr loading, take out some of the seats to put in luggage racks, and chain them together to run multi-car trains.

In addition to running north to Woodbine, you could run south to the where the Mississauga transitway would meet Toronto at Renforth and Eglinton as well.

I just found this thread because I am about to try Porter for the first time. I'm not a proponent of airport expansion, but I am excited to fly in a small plane for the experience. I jumped at the chance when I found the cost was no more than taking the train.

I was at Harbourfront last week and saw one of the planes taking off. The noise was barely audible from Queen's Quay.

As an apartment and now condo dweller downtown, I also find the noise of some motorcycles far worse than anything else. I sometimes wish for legislation to control it. To me it's similar to the way guys used to purposely make cars as loud as possible - it's immature and unecessary.

Jap bike knockoffs

I must point out that this is the worst racial slur you can possibly use against the Japanese-Canadian (or -American) community. It's like using the n-word for those of African descent. These days, a lot of people are unaware of this because the Japanese community is so small, but owing to the use of this slur during WWII (when my parents - who were born here - were put in prison camps), it is simply unacceptable. The abbreviation in writing is "jpn" for "Japan" and "jpnz" for "Japanese".

I do acknowledge that no offence was intended by Beez. In fact, I have not in recent memory experienced anyone using the term with malice. Still, it's important to know just how hurtful a small thing like that can be. When I read the post, it took my breath away to see it in print.

And in other parts of North America Jap could also mean "Jewish American Princess," or "Journal of Applied Physics." Context is always essential.

Back