Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

Why would I be against it? Cars on the island or a security checkpoint entrance to the island, and closing the shipping channels.

You can build a lift bridge or a bridge that is high enough to let lakers pass. Keeping cars off the island would be pretty easy - every heard of bollards? Would be useful to get service vehicles and deliveries to the island. A bridge would pay for itself pretty rapidly aswell, even with just eliminating the winter ferries.

To build a bridge high enough to let lakers through would involve building something like the Burlington Skyway.... that isn't going to happen. A lift bridge is possible but as soon as you build a bridge that handles vehicles there is going to be a lot of pressure to allow sightseers drive around the island.

To build a bridge high enough to let lakers through would involve building something like the Burlington Skyway.... that isn't going to happen. A lift bridge is possible but as soon as you build a bridge that handles vehicles there is going to be a lot of pressure to allow sightseers drive around the island.

Usually you're relatively rational. But your fear that a bridge = cars is completely irrational as has already been pointed out numerous times. Now I understand why you're an LRTista.

The section of the Amsterdam Bridge that opens is so small you can jump across it. A lift bridge across the shipping channel would be expensive. At one point I read that the fares on the Island ferries are set at a cost recovery basis, so the idea that a pedestrian only lift bridge could save money doesn't make much sense to me. How could it be cost effective to build a lift bridge capable of carrying vehicles (i.e. engineered with the additional expense of carrying them), but then not allowing vehicles most of the time, to replace a ferry that operates on a cost recovery basis? Are people going to be willing to pay a toll to cross this bridge after hiking all the way out to the Cherry beach area? At least with the ferry you get a ferry ride for your money.

I've never seen a lift bridge across a shipping channel for pedestrians. Can you give me an example of one.

800px-Weeks_533_under_Wards_Is_Bridge_jeh.jpg

Source:wiki

The Ward's Island Bridge is a pedestrian bridge. It connects Ward's Island with Manhattan. Another view here.

Last edited:
I would be OK with that. Not sure it makes fiscal sense but at least it keeps traffic off the island and being pedestrian only would be cheaper to construct than a full size lift bridge.

My my what an eyesore, ill take the pedestrian tunnel over anything that looks like that.

I agree, I am not a fan of bridges to the park part of the island in general. I was only agreeing that as far as bridges go a lift bridge such as that would eliminate the threat of people getting permission to be driving all over the island. If a replacement to the ferry really is required, which I don't agree with, I would prefer a streetcar tunnel to anything else. The ferry terminal is centrally located and takes you to 3 different points on the island. Only a streetcar from Union, over Queens Quay East, up Cherry, and under a tunnel to the island and travelling the length of the island (alternately going Queens Quay West and then under the airport) can truly replace the function of the ferries. Such a system would likely not operate at a cost recovery level.

The court has ruled against Air Canada in its complaint about slot allocation at BBTCA.

TORONTO, July 22 /CNW/ - Two federal court applications alleging wrongdoing related to slot allocation at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport brought forward by Air Canada against Porter Airlines Inc. (Porter) and Toronto Port Authority (TPA) have been dismissed. The dismissal on July 20, 2010, finds that agreements between Porter and the TPA were entirely appropriate and found no evidence of unfair treatment towards Air Canada.

Over the past four years, Air Canada has directly or through Air Canada Jazz, commenced five separate legal proceedings against Porter. Each action has made allegations of impropriety. The first three proceedings were abandoned by Jazz Air. The Federal Court of Canada dismissed the remaining two proceedings by Air Canada yesterday as meritless allegations.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/July2010/22/c6026.html

Do these people live in a dream world..:confused:

Anti-island airport group praises Pearson rail link

TORONTO — A group that wants to shut down Toronto's island airport is praising the province for taking over construction and operation of a rail link between Union Station and the city's international airport.

Porter Airlines currently operates out of the island airport.

Group Community Air says the link means Porter can move to Pearson International Airport in Mississauga without inconveniencing customers.

It suggests the island airport land should be converted into a park and other facilities.

This week, the province said it would take over construction of a rail link after a deal with a Montreal-based company collapsed.

It says the link should be ready in time for the Pan Am Games in 2015.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...port-pearson-rail-100802/20100802?hub=Toronto

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...ist-group-airport-100803/20100803?hub=Toronto

Do these people live in a dream world..:confused:

Anti-island airport group praises Pearson rail link

TORONTO — A group that wants to shut down Toronto's island airport is praising the province for taking over construction and operation of a rail link between Union Station and the city's international airport.

Porter Airlines currently operates out of the island airport.

Group Community Air says the link means Porter can move to Pearson International Airport in Mississauga without inconveniencing customers.

It suggests the island airport land should be converted into a park and other facilities.

This week, the province said it would take over construction of a rail link after a deal with a Montreal-based company collapsed.

It says the link should be ready in time for the Pan Am Games in 2015.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...port-pearson-rail-100802/20100802?hub=Toronto

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...ist-group-airport-100803/20100803?hub=Toronto

Yeah...dream world. It's still easier to get to the Island airport from the business district than to go to Pearson. Rail link or not.

Back