Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

Majority support pedestrian tunnel to island airport: survey
56 per cent support it this year, as opposed to 62 per cent in 2009

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...nnel-to-island-airport-survey/article1635408/

Despite a slight decline in support, the majority of Torontonians are still in favour of building a pedestrian tunnel to the island airport, a new survey suggests.

Of the 700 people surveyed by Ipsos Reid in a report released Friday, 56 per cent said that they support building a foot tunnel. The survey was conducted for the Toronto Port Authority, which operates the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport and has long pushed for a tunnel.

“This survey confirms that the TPA is on the right track,†Mark McQueen, chairman of the TPA’s board of directors, said in a statement Friday.

Despite his optimism, this year’s results in fact indicate a slight drop in support from last year, where a similar poll found that 62 per cent of Torontonians at the time supported a tunnel, and only 31 per cent were opposed to it. This year, 42 per cent of respondents are opposed to it.

Ipsos explained the drop by saying that a number of the questions were asked differently this year – this year the survey indicated that the $45-million tunnel would be paid for by user fees (as an airport improvement fee), rather than by the federal government.

The survey sample this year also included 300 people who live south of Queen Street in downtown Toronto, and therefore closer to the airport.

But at least a couple waterfront residents have their doubts about the survey.

Bill Kime, who lives on Ward’s Island, said that some respondents may not have been aware of the background or history of the issue.

“I think if it was put to them that a tunnel was going to cost X amount of money in light of the fact that X amount has already been spent buying new ferries, they would say ‘how could you possibly need the tunnel?’†he said.

Brian Iler, chair of CommunityAIR, a group opposed to expansion of the island airport, echoed this, saying that the survey results should “be taken with a huge grain of salt.â€

“The tunnel will certainly make it easier to maintain the airport and make it more attractive to people,†he said. “But it’s still just a huge waste of money when you’re talking about spending scarce funds, and public funds.â€

The survey is considered accurate within 3.7 percentage points 19 times out of 10.

More...http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/July2010/09/c3402.html

Last edited:
Bill Kime, who lives on Ward’s Island, said that some respondents may not have been aware of the background or history of the issue.

“I think if it was put to them that a tunnel was going to cost X amount of money in light of the fact that X amount has already been spent buying new ferries, they would say ‘how could you possibly need the tunnel?’” he said.

Someone living on Ward's Island wouldn't necessarily see how busy the ferry gets and how it bunches up traffic at both ends causing lineups. I don't see why a tunnel should bother him, since he wouldn't be able to see or hear it and it could allow them to reduce the ferry schedule (which you can see and hear). It is important to point out the "cost X amount of money" should really read "cost X amount of someone else's money" (unless Bill is a regular Porter customer).

“The tunnel will certainly make it easier to maintain the airport and make it more attractive to people,” [Brian Iler] said. “But it’s still just a huge waste of money when you’re talking about spending scarce funds, and public funds."

Since we aren't talking about public funds, there shouldn't be a problem.

The survey is considered accurate within 3.7 percentage points 19 times out of 10.

We are only right 190% of the time...

Last edited:
Construction on island airport tunnel to start next year
The TPA announced at its general meeting plans to start $45 million project early 2011

Construction on the $45 million pedestrian tunnel to Billy Bishop airport will start in early 2011, the Toronto Port Authority says.

“We have started the environmental assessment and hope to have 30 to 40 per cent of the plan’s design completed by the end of the year,†said Geoffrey Wilson, the port authority’s president and CEO.

Plans for a public-private partnership were also outlined at Monday’s annual general meeting, but Wilson says the winning company won’t be selected until late in the year. And, he added, there’s no shortage of interest from prospective buyers.

“The partnership we envision to build and maintain the pedestrian tunnel will probably be in place for 20 years. It will probably be with either a large construction entity or a large financial institution.â€

Although the plans to finance the 123-metre tunnel will include user fees, Wilson says the airport’s $20 improvement charge won’t increase. Pearson airport’s improvement fee is $25

Wilson says the tunnel, which will be for pedestrians only, is needed because of the growing demand at the airport.

“By 2005 we were down to 25,000 passengers a year at the airport. Last year we had 770,000 and in 2010 we’re expecting between 1.2 and 1.3 million,†he said.

That figure will likely rise dramatically as Air Canada and Continental Airlines are set to begin using the airport in early 2011 and Porter Airlines plans to expand its number of flights. There will be a total of 202 daily flights by early 2011, Wilson says.

“We want the airport to be a valuable asset for the City of Toronto and its residents,†he said.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/art...n-on-island-airport-tunnel-to-start-next-year

More/Video...http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...rt-tunnel-100712/20100712/?hub=TorontoNewHome

I wonder how much more expensive it would be to run the tunnel straight across the airport to the park, allowing the general public access to the island park.

I wonder how much more expensive it would be to run the tunnel straight across the airport to the park, allowing the general public access to the island park.

Had Miller actually tried bargaining with the TPA, that may have been a reality. Unfortunately Miller just said 'no' and turned his head. Now the TPA gets to go ahead with its own plan.

Well the Eastern Gap is 120 metres or so wide, and the tunnel will cost $45 million. If half is for the tunnel, and half is for the two entances to the tunnel, then the tunnel costs about $200,000 a metre, or $200-million a kilometre.

The distance from the edge of the gap, to the edge of the final runway is about 575 metres. So the tunnel would cost an extra $115 million or so.

I'm not sure how much demand there would be to walk 10 minutes in a 700-metre tunnel.

I'd think a pedestrian bridge over the Eastern Gap would be a cheaper, and more popular choice.

The airport doesn't have the funds or the mandate to provide access to the islands. Also, as the airport becomes busier bus service across the tarmac would be a real disruption. There's really only one option for the Island here: a bridge across the Eastern gap.

As for the tunnel, I'd have to love has seen Brian Iler's face when he heard the news.

I hope there is never easy vehicle access to the island. The thought of a traffic jam on the island as thousands of Torontonians take their visiting relatives on a drive through the Toronto Islands makes me sick.

A bus running between the park and the ferry dock/tunnel entrance would not significantly impact flight operations. It shouldn't take more than a few seconds to cross the runway.

As well, a bus service would not mean "easy vehicle access to the island". It would not cause "traffic jams".

The point about the lack of funds is a good one. It would require outside financing (either private financing recovered through passenger fees or government financing).

A bus running between the park and the ferry dock/tunnel entrance would not significantly impact flight operations. It shouldn't take more than a few seconds to cross the runway.

There are probably security implications to this plan.

I hope there is never easy vehicle access to the island. The thought of a traffic jam on the island as thousands of Torontonians take their visiting relatives on a drive through the Toronto Islands makes me sick.

Just because there's a bridge doesn't mean you have to allow private vehicles on it.

Just because there's a bridge doesn't mean you have to allow private vehicles on it.

No, but if it is built to handle vehicles with public money it will be hard to deny people access to it. A streetcar tunnel would keep private vehicles out but I don't think a bridge ever could. What would they do? Create a security checkpoint to see if vehicles have proper documentation to go to the island? It just wouldn't be inviting.

Back