News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 790     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Bay Street Corridor

No kidding - on the north side of Bay and Bloor, the old streetcar tracks are poking through the asphalt...

Proposed On-Street Parking - Bay Street (College Street to Bloor Street West)
Origin
(October 14, 2011) Report from the Director, Transportation Services, Toronto and East York District
Recommendations

Transportation Services recommends that:

1. City Council rescind the current "No Parking 7:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m., Monday to Friday, anytime on Saturdays and Sundays, except on public holidays" on both sides of Bay Street from College Street to Cumberland Street.

2. City Council authorize the operation of parking machines on both sides of Bay Street, from College Street to Bloor Street West as follows:

- from 7:00 p.m. to Midnight, Monday to Friday for a maximum period of 5 hours at a rate of $2.50 per hour;

- from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Saturday for a maximum period of 3 hours at a rate of $2.50 per hour;

- from 6:00 p.m. to Midnight, Saturday for a maximum period of 6 hours at a rate of $2.50 per hour; and

- from 1:00 p.m. to Midnight, Sundays for a maximum period of 6 hours at a rate of $2.50 per hour.

3. City Council prohibit parking from 7:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m., Monday to Friday, anytime on Saturdays and Sundays, except on public holidays on both sides of Bay Street from Bloor Street West to Cumberland Street.
Summary

Transportation Services is seeking authority from City Council to introduce Pay and Display parking on both sides of Bay Street from College Street to Bloor Street West outside of the Bay Street Urban Clearway hours of operation.

Transportation Services has been requested by Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam and the Bay Corridor Community Association to introduce on-street parking opportunities along this section of Bay Street for visitors and shoppers in the area.

Parking along Bay at those times seems pretty reasonable.

In other Bay Street traffic news, Charles Street between Bay and St. Thomas street is poised to beocme a two way street. Street lights have added at the Bay & Charles intersection. It looks like the residents of One St. Thomas lobbied hard enough!

Parking along Bay at those times seems pretty reasonable.

In other Bay Street traffic news, Charles Street between Bay and St. Thomas street is poised to beocme a two way street. Street lights have added at the Bay & Charles intersection. It looks like the residents of One St. Thomas lobbied hard enough!

One of the most frustrating parts of driving only once or twice a year in this city is suddenly confronting the patchwork of one way streets that surround downtown. I invariably end up having to drive around the block a few times to get where I want to go. Double frustrating are the crazy streets in the Annex and Cabbagetown that reverse direction every few blocks.

It's easy to forget as a pedestrian how many of the streets I walk on or past each day are one way. It's especially odd to me since so few of the major streets are one way, just the little side streets.

Lots of things are changing in the Bay Street Corridor. Here is a shot looking north from the 27th floor outside common area at 1001 Bay. Soon that little red crane will be two condominiums. Also, the new glass condo at St. Thomas and Charles is coming along nicely.

IMG_1132.jpg

It's a shame more of Toronto doesn't have that kind of diversity of styles, architects, and materials. That's the kind of view I could look at all day.

Lots of things are changing in the Bay Street Corridor. Here is a shot looking north from the 27th floor outside common area at 1001 Bay. Soon that little red crane will be two condominiums. Also, the new glass condo at St. Thomas and Charles is coming along nicely.

That's an amazing shot Recoil - one that is best appreciated from above, just look at all the styles smashed into that frame. I have also always liked the Bay-Charles towers, the one on the right (55 Charles W.) has great sized apartments & 57 Charles (on the left) have larger than average sized suites too.

That's an amazing shot Recoil - one that is best appreciated from above, just look at all the styles smashed into that frame. I have also always liked the Bay-Charles towers, the one on the right (55 Charles W.) has great sized apartments & 57 Charles (on the left) have larger than average sized suites too.

As an inhabitant of 55 Charles I can say that yes, the layouts are excellent. Not sure if this is the right spot to put this, but today all the apartments in the building were being measured because it is converting to condos (not sure when though).

East side of Bay from Wellesley to Grosvenor. Looks great and when those trees mature they'll make a great sun/rain canopy. Parts of this street could be amongst the most attractive downtown. If approved, the on street parking will add a bit more life to the street and should attract more business.

bayjun19.jpg

Looks amazing!!! Nice addition to the street. I can't remember what was there before. Were there two rows of trees?

One, and they were mostly dead or were not long for this world.

Now if Lanterra can clean up their act further south at the Murano buildings, the stretch would be even nicer all the way to College.

Back