News   May 03, 2024
 870     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 538     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 264     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

Taken last night during Nuit Blanche.

We also stopped by there on Saturday night, it looks great at night. It will be especially dramatic once it sits comfortably between completed BA east and west.

Not many tenants have moved in yet and many of the floors are still being fitted out. In addition, 25% of the floors are not yet leased.

My brother's company has the cabling contract in there and they have another 3 or 4 months of work left to go yet.

That nighttime photo of the podium with the uplighting on the brick looks great!

Also, are the ceilings not finished on the lower floors still?

I like the lighting too, unfortunately the lamps stick out like sore thumbs. Good effect though, I like when buildings worth lighting up are lit similar to this.

they probably won't relay the granite for some time. i've been very pleased with the wor done on yonge street though.

Some more shots of the tunnel from ScotiaPlaza to BAC. They've moved the fake partition wall back to the doors to BAC. Ninki should get a lot more business now.

Attachments

• New Tumnnel.jpg
    New Tumnnel.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 304
  • more NINKI.jpg
    more NINKI.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 264
  • NINKI.jpg
    NINKI.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 277
  • otherwall.jpg
    otherwall.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 261
Here's some shots I took yesterday of Bay Adelaide:

Here's some random shots of BA + Scotia... Even though BA's off the list, you can visualize how Trump is gonna stick out!... (BA looks REALLY clean!)

3988472572_759402247f_b.jpg

3987745427_29b9d20b97_b.jpg

3988493766_f6d5f8caa0_b.jpg

Here's Arnell Plaza (the new one beside BA)... The grass is REALLY green!... The plaza looks like a pretty nice place to hang out at... I was the only one there for some reason (it's usually busy) so it was real awkward and windy...

3987732155_a8bac6fdfe_b.jpg

All photos by me: steveve

Enjoy

food court?

Is there going to be a new food court, shops in the base of BA? Or is this just going to be a boring tunnel through to the Bay?

Yeah the Plaza will get more use on warm days only...

You may see small events happen there, and I guess its private so luckily no panhandlers will plant themselves there.

Private status notwithstanding, it's open and accessible to the public, so I wouldn't discount the possibility of panhandlers taking root. This is provided that the square sees steady use; where there are people, there are people begging for said people's money.

I have already seen security guards roaming about: there will be no beggers.

I walked through it the other day and I was profoundly and deeply underwhelmed. This 'plaza' could have brought some much needed 'life' or whimsy to this complex, but itstead it adds to its sullen dullness.

Is there going to be a new food court, shops in the base of BA? Or is this just going to be a boring tunnel through to the Bay?

Yes, food court, shops, etc.

I walked through it the other day and I was profoundly and deeply underwhelmed. This 'plaza' could have brought some much needed 'life' or whimsy to this complex, but itstead it adds to its sullen dullness.

The plaza is supposed to be part of a bigger whole with BA1 and BA2 on either side and BA3 and Scotia Plaza across the streets north and south. Until BA2 and BA3 are constructed, likely not any time soon, the plaza won't feel complete.

I have already seen security guards roaming about: there will be no beggers.

I get what you mean. There is something about the minimalist style here that does smack of boring corporate safeness. Something more 'fanciful' may have played better against the minimalism of the tower and the vast open space of the site.

I think the flat, open space will be a welcome respite from the massive density surrounding the plaza once the area is built out. Even having Trump there is going to make the plaza feel much more complete

Let's hope they don't junk it up in some future redesign, like Zeidler did with Pei's Commerce Court urban plaza - another development where a tall, light-coloured Modernist tower and a spare exterior public space once matched nicely and expressed the same values.

We didn't get the next generation showy corporate tower that some hoped for. But, based on this first building, I think that a matching tower to the east and another to the north that'll presumably draw on the same design vocabulary will enhance the skyline rather well in a collective statement. I love the subtle changes that take place - the tower's a distinctively different colour from others nearbye - as the light shifts during the day. Bay Adelaide will establish its presence through quiet understatement - the loudest voices don't always carry the most resonant message.

Oct 07

Here is a shot from MCC and it rare I'm here to get a good shot on a nice day.
IMG_oct-07-09-0033.jpg

Back