News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.1K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 764     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 730     1 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

WOW... drum118... I have SO much respect for you man!

Your photos/contributions are amazing and make me wanna keep comin back to UT (I'm a skyscraperpage fan boy!)

MLS REALLY does balance the skyline out from this angle!

L Tower will make a huge difference from this angle as well the rest of the Bay Adelaide Centre...

"Thank a you for your hard work for make benifit the glorious nations of urban toronto!.. Grate success!" -something Borat would say :D

Drum, you should put that shot from MCC on Toronto's Wikipedia page, replace the old skyline photo.

That's a great shot.

We didn't get the next generation showy corporate tower that some hoped for. But, based on this first building, I think that a matching tower to the east and another to the north that'll presumably draw on the same design vocabulary will enhance the skyline rather well in a collective statement. I love the subtle changes that take place - the tower's a distinctively different colour from others nearbye - as the light shifts during the day. Bay Adelaide will establish its presence through quiet understatement - the loudest voices don't always carry the most resonant message.

The tower is indeed a wonderfully minimalist building - I also agree if the other two are built using the same design and glass, the collective will really shine and truly enhance the overall downtown core.

I'd have to side with mixing it up here a bit too. I like the tower but I think its glassy minimalism will shine even more with something different to play off of.

It already plays off of soloists FCP and Scotia Plaza, and will soon have Trump to kick around. Two siblings will elevate it almost to TD Centre status, ahead of the joined siamese twin towers of Royal Bank Plaza and the Brookfield Place half brothers.

Drum, you should put that shot from MCC on Toronto's Wikipedia page, replace the old skyline photo.

That's a great shot.

Thanks

I will wait to see if I can get a better/clear shot first, but you can make the change if you want to.

There is a nice hole to the east of the CN tower that needs filling.

It already plays off of soloists FCP and Scotia Plaza, and will soon have Trump to kick around. Two siblings will elevate it almost to TD Centre status, ahead of the joined siamese twin towers of Royal Bank Plaza and the Brookfield Place half brothers.

The BA Centre would undoubtedly be improved by having an equally dull mirror-image East Tower, but one likes to believe that Brookfield would know that people wouldn't pay to live in a North Tower that looked like the southerly two.

Oct 11

IMG_oct-11-09-0110.jpg

Interesting article from the New York Times

A Rare Building Boom Up North

TORONTO — The financial district of this city, the fifth-largest metropolitan area in North America, with a population of 5.4 million, is the scene of an exceptional flurry of development, especially in light of the recession.

The first of the financial district towers to be completed was the 51-story 1.2-million-square-foot Bay Adelaide Centre West, developed by a partnership of the Brookfield Properties Corporation, based in New York, and BPO Properties Ltd., based in Toronto. It opened this month and has been 73 percent preleased to the accounting giant KPMG and other tenants.

More.......http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/14/realestate/commercial/14toronto.html?hpw

/\ I think I'd prefer it left bare. I know they're coming, but I've come to enjoy the stark simplicity of BAC sans signage.

Same here. I would prefer all buildings to lack corporate logos and it used to really bother me but lately I've just accepted it as a a fact that can't be avoided. Hopefully the logo on here doesn't become too distracting.

It looks like they're prepping to do so as we speak on the north face. The installation platform is there, and you can't see it in this photo, but the anchors for the sign have been put into place.

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 250

Back