News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.1K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 764     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 730     1 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

Supertall in TO:

Speaking of supertalls guys, I was flipping through a Food convention magazine lying around my work desk today. Skimming the pages, I couldn't help but notice a beauty shot of TO from the islands. This skyline shot contained numerous renderings of the many projects under construction in our fair city. One particular rendering caught my attention: a supertall smack dab in between the MINT towers and the Ritz-Simcoe-RBC trio. Illuminated a vivid yellow-orange tint at night, it was complete with a spire. I'd guess it would stand at least 350 metres tall, probably more.

This could be old news, but is this a rendering of the said Manulife Building proposal? I can recall a thread about it, but nothing more than that. I will try to get a good photo of it soon enough.

Cheers

Why would you ever want a building close to the height range of the CN tower? That would do some damage to the skyline especially since the CN tower should be the only tall structure above the rest. Am i not right?

A number of cities already have supertall skyscrapers that tower over the city's communications/observation tower. A few that come to mind are Shanghai (SWFC and Shanghai Centre (u/c) over Oriental Pearl Tower), Kuala Lumpur (Petronas Tower over KL Tower) and Seattle (where the Space Needle is the 5th tallest in the city).

A number of cities already have supertall skyscrapers that tower over the city's communications/observation tower. A few that come to mind are Shanghai (SWFC and Shanghai Centre (u/c) over Oriental Pearl Tower), Kuala Lumpur (Petronas Tower over KL Tower) and Seattle (where the Space Needle is the 5th tallest in the city).

Yeah, that may be true, but just having a building taller than the CN Tower will just seem weird since it has been the tallest for such a long time. So it will take a lot of getting used to in that case.

Ya I have to agree. I don't think we'll be seeing that anytime soon. Toronto is not dense enough for something that tall at this point. I think we will see a supertall sometime in the next 20 years though.

Calgary and Niagara Falls are examples of two more cities where tourists can look up at other buildings from the viewing decks of communications towers.

Calgary and Niagara Falls are examples of two more cities where tourists can look up at other buildings from the viewing decks of communications towers.

the Niagara Falls example is debatable seeing as the Hilton addition ended up being 10 stories shorter than advertised...

3750490471_638f7b573b_o.jpg

A building around 400m in height would be nice, between the height of the CN tower(530m) and the FCP(298m).:D

New york, chicago, LA, Atlanta, and houston all have buildings taller than in Toronto(above 300m). Toronto should at least have a 1 building around 350m.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know what's going on under the building?
Is the new path connection open? Do they have any space for retail or a foodcourt down there?

According to the stacking plans, there will be 40 000 sf of retail/food court in the concourse level.

There's a party in the lobby today with food and a band. I will try to see if any tenants have actually moved in, or if this is a ribbon cutting type deal

There's a party in the lobby today with food and a band. I will try to see if any tenants have actually moved in, or if this is a ribbon cutting type deal

I've just checked it out and there is now general access to the lobby (at least no one stopped me) and the sidewalks surrounding it and Heenan Blaikie (a law firm) has moved in to floors 25 through 29.

Back