News   Apr 26, 2024
 31     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 287     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 506     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

Reminds me of Homer's model nuclear power plant. The racing stripe is rather sharp.

01182004122840.jpg

Just another short stubby building. Just like always, Toronto will never have a super tall above 300 m, note the CN tower doesn't count.

Just another short stubby building. Just like always, Toronto will never have a super tall above 300 m, note the CN tower doesn't count.

Why would you ever want a building close to the height range of the CN tower? That would do some damage to the skyline especially since the CN tower should be the only tall structure above the rest. Am i not right?

Why would you ever want a building close to the height range of the CN tower? That would do some damage to the skyline especially since the CN tower should be the only tall structure above the rest. Am i not right?

Height isn't everything, but a few strategically placed buildings in the 300 to 500 metre range would give the skyline more balance, not less. I've also never understood why people assume the CN Tower should always remain the tallest building in town.

Right? There is no 'right'.

Does anyone know what's going on under the building?
Is the new path connection open? Do they have any space for retail or a foodcourt down there?

The CN Tower is 553 metres, so even a 400 metre building wouldn't detract from it. The antennas of FCP reach 355 metres anyway, so a 350-400 metre building in the core could add a nice sense of balance to the skyline. Throw a few more 700-900 footers in there, and we can really start filling out the existing shape. I think of the existing skyline as a template for what it could come to be.

edit. jeez, that moved quickly.

I dont really need any supertalls... if you counted the height of the antennas on FCP it would be the third tallest building in NYC (currently anyway) after Empire State and Bank of America (which includes its antenna in its height total). Toronto's weakness is that so many of our tallest buildings are congregated within a few blocks of each other. Y+B is a decent node that is growing and Y+E gets on the map with Minto Midtown. I dont know if anybody else finds this but our skyline even though on paper we have a lot of 400ft+ buildings doesnt have the impact of other cities of equal or smaller size. I dont know if its the geography here or the distribution of buildings or what... perhaps its that we have highrises scattered throughout the whole metro area that detracts from what our downtown could be. Earlier this spring I was in Honolulu - a city of 800- 900 thousand that had 40 storey buildings from horizon to horizon. Last month I was in New York City and Toronto is nothing more than a fly on Manhattan's ass... I find that many more midsized companies or wealthy individuals tend to build highrises in the US compared to here and the way Americans build their cities with wide avenues just makes them seem more impressive.

(thats all - sorry if I didnt make sense... had too much wine tonight!)

a small fraction of Honolulu's skyline...
3478452287_695354b879_o.jpg

Last edited:
trust me its beautiful in person and very wonderfully urban. I just posted it to illustrate my point of what a properly built dense city looks like. Keep in mind many of the buildings pictured here would have been built in the 60's / 70's and they are much classier than the majority of stuff from the same era here (St James Town its not!) Towards the opposite end of Waikiki there are loads of gleaming glass towers in all sorts of interesting shapes... Ah, I guess you had to be there. But you werent!

Back