News   May 06, 2024
 51     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 607     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 548     0 

Baby, we got a bubble!?

I believe Ric mentioned W23 and W24 which is why Hodgkinsken just posted those.

Correct

W19 - Is Mississauga
W27 - Is halton Hills
W28 - Is Caledon

Looking at nov vs nov can be misleading. One data point does not a trend make. I don't think anyone is arguing that activity is down over last years record breaking November.

Nov 2010 to Nov 2009, then the sales are 699 to 828 (a 15% drop in sales). Not quite the 70-80% drop that Paperchopper referenced, but also not the stable sales figures that Hodgkinsken posted.

Statistically insignificant. Some of the skew could even be attributed to the extra Sunday in Nov, 2010 compared to Nov, 2009.

i have to agree with daveto here ...

since your rental cost is only 40% of the ownership cost, that frees up alot of disposible income for either to use or save !

you may have done it already, but if you haven't, formally write out your monthly budget over the past year (or longer if you think it's good).
look at where all your monthly expenses are (discretionary and fixed) and how that compares to your income.

now if you were to buy, can your budget handle a 150% increase for housing expense ?!?
let's say you're renting a bachelor for $600/m, can you handle another $900 (@ $1500/m) for the warm and fuzzy feeling of ownership?
that's a dramatic difference, and let's not forget what happens when interest rates increase too !

rent control prevents you from seeing anything more than what the gov't allows.
for 2010, the guideline was 2.1 per cent. http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/Key_Information/274235.html
for 2011, the 2011 guideline is 0.7 per cent. http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/Key_Information/STDPROD_067677.html

thanks for the comments everyone! good advice.

Correct

W19 - Is Mississauga
W27 - Is halton Hills
W28 - Is Caledon

Looking at nov vs nov can be misleading. One data point does not a trend make. I don't think anyone is arguing that activity is down over last years record breaking November.

And how many data points make a trend? 3? 5? 20? For reference, monthly sales YOY are down since the summer.

Statistically insignificant. Some of the skew could even be attributed to the extra Sunday in Nov, 2010 compared to Nov, 2009.

Statistically insignificant? Based upon what standard.
I'm an actuary, and in my professional opinion it certainly is statistically significant.

Boy the fur is flying today. This is great stuff.

To weigh in: I believe Pink Lucy is correct when she states they may be behind on their website. That said, it is very strange that noone would be capable of posting/updating the R/E numbers working for the Brampton Real Estate Board. A couple of weeks maybe but going on 4 months is suspect.

That said, Paperchopper is fairly saying that he is relying on anectdotal evidence which he feels probably quite justifiably supports his position that Brampton is having difficulties. If one thinks about it, it makes sense because Brampton is one of the spots with the most amount of available land so there has been alot of construction going on there and therefore it would stand to reason that if there was a slowdown, it would show up more quickly there than other areas which have less new product.

cdr and DaveTO: I agree that the slowdowns are significant and don't really see how anyone can sugar coat it to say it is not. That said, we must grant that last year was the best year on record so as others have suggested in the past, comparing to 2 or 3 years is more helpful.

Ponyboy, I do agree with Ric on the issue that one can't put their life on hold forever. Despite the cold hearted approach of just looking at the investment, there is something to be said about owning your own home. If nothing else, it means (provided you can afford it) no landlord decides to sell from under you or tells you how to or not to decorate. I do get it. However, I think asking you to run the numbers and to try and show your wife the potential downfall of buying near a peak is very important.

I would remind you that those who bought in TO at the peak in 1989 had to wait until about 2003 or so until prices had recovered. 14 years is a long time to be in a starter place which may not suit your needs in 5 years. I am not saying you should plan for 14 years, and I agree that a minimum 5 year horizon is a must, but just point out that this did not work out so well in 1989 for people and we are just now coming off 10 straight years essentially of continuous increases.

Statistically insignificant? Based upon what standard.
I'm an actuary, and in my professional opinion it certainly is statistically significant.

Ummm... gut statistics? A few random events could result in a much changed variation between 699 and 828. The numbers are pretty small. Weather, news, a few major openings, etc., could throw the difference quite a bit.

Ummm... gut statistics? A few random events could result in a much changed variation between 699 and 828. The numbers are pretty small. Weather, news, a few major openings, etc., could throw the difference quite a bit.

Yeah, you're right-- could have been that Justin Biebr concert out in LA, the disappearance of the Double Down or two mysterious rock colliding in space. Hahahaha

The answer is simple, demand is down, assuming those numbers are correct, which they're most likely not. Those are resale numbers apparently too, nobody knows new sales #'s (BREB hasn't published numbers in 4 months)

This is the same mentality as in the US before the bubble, sales down 50% -- oh, some people didn't decorate their homes nicely, oh, the weather was bad. The alignment of days of the week to the calendar days was off...... Hahahhahahah

Oh man, wtf Kenny? 2 + 2 = 5, right?

Calgary down 25% YOY last month

Resales down 9.6% or so in general from last year overall in Canada

Listings to sales ratio steadily increasing........

paperchopper, there are a lot of realtors on this forum, who positioned themselves for another straight 10 years of profits off rising RE prices. It is indeed hard for them to actually look at the reality. US/European RE correction, income/RE prices disparity, rent/own ratios,70% ownership, 150% debt ratios is not even a subject of their discussion when it comes to sacred canadian RE. Well dear realtors first volume goes down (which we already have) prices will follow.

Ric, let's be frank. You're a realtor, and realtors only get paid if there are sales.. No realtor will ever say "don't buy".

Dude, you dont know me or how I run my business so don't make blanket statements like that. I've been quite consistent with my comments on this board on what I feel is happening in the market. My advice has always been that speculators that are looking to flip in this market should stay away. I've said that people looking to invest should only do so after careful research and make sure that what they are buying can generate a +ve cash flow. I've also adviced end users that feel that they cannot wait for the "bubble to pop" to only purchase if they have at least 10% deposit and a long term plan (>5yrs) of staying in their home.

How much clearer would you want me to be?

BTW, I get paid for giving great advice that translate into repeat business. I never advice a client to do anything I wouldn't personally do for myself.

Come on guys; first it was Brampton sales are down 70-80%. This was quickly dispel with actual facts. Now you are saying the figures were extrapolated?

So anyone can start some crazy rumour and you all run with it? That's nuts.
Next you going to hear that Priests loves little boys. Oh wait, they do.....

Last edited:
Oh man, wtf Kenny? 2 + 2 = 5, right?

I'm tempted to offer you the ability to short as I plan on purchasing a triplex next summer but my lawyer will advise me to get a 25% spread in a trust account and no sane person would do that.

Back