News   Jul 17, 2024
 312     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 483     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1K     0 

Atheists hope (don't pray) to bring ads to Toronto (G&M)

do you support this ad?

• Total voters
That ad is brilliant. Bring it on I say.... it's fun to offend these religious types.
This is a lot less offensive than most relgious ads I've seen that assumes their God speaks for me. The "probably" is also key here. Who really knows for sure, but most evidence would suggest there's isn't a God and it's just stating what scientists have been telling us for eons. Moreover, it tells us to enjoy our lives. Imagine that!

I like that ad... i'm all for it.

It would attempt, in some small way, to counterbalance the almost overwhelming crush of Christianity in the English-speaking countries.
I'm all for it too. Even if I were religious, my belief in free speech would trump that and I'm surprised to hear it doesn't for some.

'cause that's the devil's fault.

Thanks for all your points in this discussion and representing the Atheist point of view so well. I just finished reading "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins. My favorite point of his is that humans share about 98% of our DNA with Chimps, yet main stream Christianity teaches humans have a soul and chimps do not.

Thanks for all your points in this discussion and representing the Atheist point of view so well. I just finished reading "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins. My favorite point of his is that humans share about 98% of our DNA with Chimps, yet main stream Christianity teaches humans have a soul and chimps do not.

be careful when discussing dna with a fundie:

the argument from oranges
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=KefaammKJVE

we share dna with everything that is alive or was alive on this planet, and what is alive or was alive that we have sent outside of our planet.

p.s, i haven't read the god delusion yet. if you enjoy books on the subject of free thought, i'd recommend this one: http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/robert_ingersoll/gods.html

the complete book is online and free.

One time a priest came to my door trying to convert me.

I was nice and we had a discussion and I said I believe in a God but not from a strict religious point of view.

I think there is a higher being but the world is created and operated the way science says it is.

It is the new many people see God these days and I think is something non believers can accept.

So I believe in evolution and that the world is over 4 billion years old and all that because science has brought a lot of great evidence that convinced me that is true.
However I am a bit skeptical on the Big Bang Theory.
What was before the Big Bang Theory, however one can argue what was before God??? It will never end.

I am still a spiritual person and believe in the supernatural. I think I believe in that kind of stuff because I do not want the world to be so boring and logical.

^

In regards to the big bang theory, I think it just may prove the existence of God. In a nutshell, the Big Ban theory is this: we know that galaxies are moving further away from each other as time goes on, so simple logic says that at one point - many billions of years ago - all matter in the universe was at one point just a tiny dot in the centre of space. That is as far a science can can explain it. For some reason, the matter just appeared there, AKA "Something from Nothing... At first there was nothing, then God created the heavens and the earth... (and all that jazz)" and then unexplained forces made the matter expand into all that there is. I call these unexplained forces "God".

There is only one explanation to why something matter appeared where there was no matter before: there is a higher power.

Lordmandeep, I think the majority share similar sentiments as you; spiritual, but not religious in the traditional sense of the word.

One time a priest came to my door trying to convert me.

I was nice and we had a discussion and I said I believe in a God but not from a strict religious point of view.

I think there is a higher being but the world is created and operated the way science says it is.

It is the new many people see God these days and I think is something non believers can accept.

So I believe in evolution and that the world is over 4 billion years old and all that because science has brought a lot of great evidence that convinced me that is true.
However I am a bit skeptical on the Big Bang Theory.
What was before the Big Bang Theory, however one can argue what was before God??? It will never end.

I am still a spiritual person and believe in the supernatural. I think I believe in that kind of stuff because I do not want the world to be so boring and logical.

the big bang as i understand it, is the explosion of matter from a central point outwards. i was taught that the big bang was which everything exploded outward from nothing. i don't think this is the case. as i understand it today, all the material which composes the universe was once all in one spot and then it exploded outwards. the big bang simply explains the process in which the current universe was formed. though when i say material, i don't mean gold silver, iron, etc. i mean some sort of mess of particles that make up everything. materials like iron, etc, elements came from reactions in stars. so basically, the big bang was the explosion of the particles that make up everything from a central point outwards. i think scientists can actually observe that the universe is moving outwards from a central point. it's like they're looking at a bomb that went off in super slow motion and they didn't see the initial explosion, but can see all the shrapnel and ejections from the blast shooting outwards. so basically, reality (for lack of a better term) was once a dense clump of basic particles (don't know the exact terminology) that always existed. and IIRC, these types of big bangs could have been happening always. universe inflates, then deflates, etc.

the universe is a very strange place. the matter in some stars is so dense that a thimble full would have more mass then our planet and thensome.

there is also a thing left behind from just after the formation of our universe called cosmic background radiation which was discovered by a catholic dude (yes i give credit). if you put your tv on channel 0 or 1, forget which, some of the snow you see is actually related to the cosmic background radiation. you're actually looking at it. it's radiation left behind from when the universe was a very young and hot place.

but don't take my word for any of this. look into it your self. it's quite more amazing than my mangled description.

You can't really reconcile belief in the supernatural and a scientific outlook.

if you want to get a better understanding on how the universe was formed, i recommend these videos:

1) http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=uihNu9Icaeo

2) http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=bK6_p5a-Hbo

they're part of a larger made easy series http://ca.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=DB23537556D7AADB

Thanks for that. I spent a while watching all of those. I followed that link up to this one: Dawkins Builds An Eye

Back on topic, I bought the tshirt a couple of months ago. I can't wait for it to make sense here in Toronto.

n503910800_2401898_6233.jpg

You can't really reconcile belief in the supernatural and a scientific outlook.

I disagree...

One can agree with science on many things and disagree one some select few points.

Like stuff about the earth, biology and chemistry is something I agree with science 100%.

However I still believe there are some strange unknown things or forces out there and I will continue to believe this until science gives a good answer. I do not believe in such things out of spite against science either.

Imo there is no difference in believe something may be there, then saying nothing can be there but we are not sure it actually is not there. However it is my own personal belief so I should not force anyone to believe it either, like some try to do.

Back