News   Apr 25, 2024
 381     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Atheists hope (don't pray) to bring ads to Toronto (G&M)

do you support this ad?

• Total voters

Prometheus The Supremo

►Member №41+⅜◄
Member Bio
Reaction score
hi-res-abc-banner-300x61.jpg

expect some controversy soon. a bus driver in england has already refused to drive a bus with the advert. my fear is that religious have a bigger purse because of the numbers and the devotion and they will go crazy and plaster the city with even more nonsense than usual.

more on the net: http://atheistbus.ca/

according to the website, the ttc has been allowing religiously motivated ads to be advertised. is this true?

Atheists hope (don't pray) to bring ads to Toronto
Canadians say dialogue 'a healthy thing'

JEFF GRAY

From Friday's Globe and Mail

January 16, 2009 at 4:37 AM EST

The atheist slogan, "There is probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life," may soon be coming to subways and buses in Canada's largest city.

The Toronto-based Freethought Association of Canada, inspired by a campaign that has plastered British buses with the phrase, has contacted the private firm that handles ads on the Toronto Transit Commission to see if the message would violate any rules. Organizers plan to launch a fundraising page on the website atheistbus.ca in the next few days.

The British campaign, which has inspired similar moves in Washington, Barcelona and Madrid, has sparked complaints to the country's advertising authority and a backlash from the evangelical group Christian Voice, which has proclaimed that Britain is in "deep sin."

Here in Canada, reaction to the idea from religious groups reached by The Globe and Mail was muted.

Neil MacCarthy, a spokesman for the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Toronto, said it was difficult to comment on ads that he hasn't seen.

"The reality is that organized religion is often an easy target," he said. "... At the same time, this type of campaign would likely generate discussion and dialogue around faith. And that can be a healthy thing, as long as it is done respectfully."

The moderator of the United Church of Canada, Right Rev. David Giuliano, said he would rather see atheists say what they believe in, rather than what they are against.

But, pointing out that his church also uses advertising, he said he has some sympathy with the impetus behind the ads.

"I think most of these ads ... are responding to a version of God and Christianity that is grounded in a kind of judgment and fear and guilt," Mr. Giuliano said in an interview. "I don't believe in that God either."

Mohamed Elmasry, founder of the Canadian Islamic Congress, said he had no problem with the ads: "They have a system of belief like anybody else, and they are entitled to live with this system and also propagate it among others."

The effort to bring atheist ads to Toronto's transit system started with a Facebook group.

The website atheistbus.ca was launched this week by Chris Hammond, a first-year political science student at York University who has joined with the Freethought Association to mount a campaign.

The effort has been endorsed by Ariane Sherine, the British journalist and comedy writer who launched the London campaign.

Echoing Ms. Sherine - who said she wanted to counter London bus ads referring people to a website warning that non-Christians would roast in a "lake of fire," - Mr. Hammond, 22, said he wanted to answer ads quoting Bible verses that he had seen on TTC buses.

"There's atheists that are out there. This will show them they are not alone," Mr. Hammond said.

Organizers hope to raise at least $6,000 to buy ads on the TTC, which run from $315 for the back of a bus to $700 for a subway ad, said Katie Kish, vice-president of multimedia for the Freethought Association.

Toronto organizers can only hope - rather than pray, of course - for the reception that greeted the British campaign.

Originally, organizers there had aimed to raise £5,500, or about $10,000, to put ads on 30 London buses. Instead, they raised more than £144,000.

(The qualifier "probably" was included in the slogan both to satisfy Britain's ad regulator and scientific atheists, who reject anything that smacks of faith.)

TTC vice-chairman Joe Mihevc, a former Christian theologian who has long sat on the ad-review committee, said he would welcome the atheist ads: "What better place to have one of the key theological, philosophical debates of our time but on public transit?"

source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090116.watheist16/BNStory/National/home

I don't like it. It could potentially open the floodgates to all sorts of religious advertising. Better to just not go there, even tho I do like this one particular ad

I don't like it. It could potentially open the floodgates to all sorts of religious advertising. Better to just not go there, even tho I do like this one particular ad

according to the atheist bus website, it's to counter religious ads that have run on the ttc.

of course we can ban all religiously motivated ads on the ttc and there would be no need for secularists to counter them with logic.

i understand the concern about the floodgates though. grab two of everything! ;)

there's probably no god

-accurate and respectful.

now stop worrying and enjoy your life

- a positive message.

the same can't be said for alot of religious adverts i have seen. the ones that bother me the most are images/statues/signs of jesus nailed onto a cross, dead and adverts basically saying "believe or burn in hell". the latter also come in the form "jesus saves if you believe in him", "believe and go to heaven", etc.

can anyone tell me why you can display a dead man nailed to two pieces of wood, cut and bleeding, with a crown of thorns on the side of a building?

doesn't this seem wrong? isn't this the sort of stuff we try to protect our children from with movie ratings, etc?

"billy, you can't play this video game because it's too violent. now lets go to church and watch the stations of the cross, drink the blood of christ & eat his body"

i don't know about anyone else, but i'd prefer to see "buddy christ" on the side of churches over such a depressing icon.

Buddy_christ.jpg

Last edited:
Although I may disagree with the ads on a personal level, people can spend their money on whatever they want. Personally, I believe that separation of religion and anti-religion (like these Atheist groups) and the state, should be absolute for both entities to function. I consider the TTC as part of the state I think that all forms of religious and anti-religious ads should be stoped. But since it seems that the TTC allows Religious advertising, they should allow Atheist ads as well.

That being said, I doubt they'll convert many people to their cause with just those ten words.

There was a story about these ads on transit in the U.S. I was really surprised to see the ads on any transit in the U.S., but not here in Canada.
So that said, I don't recall ever seeing a religious ad on the TTC. I guess there have been religious ads though, so I see nothing wrong with this, except for the fact that really there should be neither of them on transit at all in the first place.

Although I may disagree with the ads on a personal level, people can spend their money on whatever they want. Personally, I believe that separation of religion and anti-religion (like these Atheist groups) and the state, should be absolute for both entities to function. I consider the TTC as part of the state I think that all forms of religious and anti-religious ads should be stoped. But since it seems that the TTC allows Religious advertising, they should allow Atheist ads as well.

That being said, I doubt they'll convert many people to their cause with just those ten words.

but you can argue that the big bang theory, evolutionary theory and geology are anti religion because they dispute how the universe was formed, how humans came to be, and the age of the planet. these 3 areas of study contradict some religious notions just like this advert contradicts the notion of a deity. logic by nature, does not support the existence of a deity, but it does allow it the possibility of existing; thus the word "probably" in the advert. just FYI, anything you can imagine could possibly exist. to disprove of something's existence, you would have to observe everything, all at once, forever. :eek:

saying that god probably doesn't exist is not anti-religious. it's a factual statement, just like saying humans are great apes & the universe is about 13.7 billion years old, etc.

p.s, atheism is not a cause, the atheist bus campaign is a cause. i don't think you need to convert people to a bus advertising campaign.

being an atheist simply means that you disbelieve (don't believe) in a deity/god(s). i as an atheist and former roman catholic don't believe in god(s) because i have come to the understanding that there really isn't a reason to do so and i did (believe) in the past, only because of fear (of hell) and bias (how i was raised).

Last edited:
Personally, I like the ads, but they are bound to stir a LOT of controversy. But, then again, this is Toronto, probably the most tolerant city on the planet.

And yeah, I'd say that it is a factual statement, because there is so much more physical proof of the Big Bang, evolution, etc. than there is of god. I watched a movie recently "Zeitgeist" which clearly goes through all the historic religious documents and finds that all religions were basically copied from the Egyptian religion.

I don't really think they're trying to convert people, just give them something to think about.

This is not unlike driving along highways in both the US and Canada where there is usually multiple ads along highways (esp. in rural areas) for or against abortion.

I never saw those before, however along highways I always see ads like
"Drive safely and god will help you"
"God loves you, but not if you drink and drive"

Some are actually quite morbin ie. last one. When I see those kinds of ads I really feel like its disrespecting god, instead of promoting Christianity.

And yeah, I'd say that it is a factual statement, because there is so much more physical proof of the Big Bang, evolution, etc. than there is of god.

for it to be factual, it doesn't need to depend on either the big bang or evolution. it is factual because it is logically correct. of course, the big bang and evolution cause big problems for the validity of biblical arguments and the accuracy of the bible. if the bible is wrong about how humans came to be, etc. it can be wrong about homosexuality, the role of women, stoning your disobedient children to death and even the divinity of jesus and the existence of god. the theist can always argue that god made the big bang happen and that god caused evolution but i can also argue that i caused the big bang to happen and evolution. i just can't prove it to you because you have to have faith. i can say that the reason i appear to be human and not perfect is to test your faith. you can't prove me wrong. :D

Last edited:
the ads are stupid suggesting if one does not believe in a God he has a great peaceful life and people who do have a terrible life.

Its this whole idea that the solution to the worlds biggest problem is by banning religion that pisses me off. Truth is the top 5 biggest problems in the world after Terrorism are not based on religion.

It should be banned for stupidity... :rolleyes:

Of all the God and/or Jesus advertising we've all been subjected to, I think it would be fine to have some opposition thoughts thrown around into the mix.

the ads are stupid suggesting if one does not believe in a God he has a great peaceful life and people who do have a terrible life.

Its this whole idea that the solution to the worlds biggest problem is by banning religion that pisses me off. Truth is the top 5 biggest problems in the world after Terrorism are not based on religion.

It should be banned for stupidity... :rolleyes:

how is the ad stupid?

"there's probably no god. now stop worrying and enjoy your life"

it does not imply "if one does not believe in a God he has a great peaceful life and people who do have a terrible life."

you can have a miserable or great life believing in god or not. the ad is telling you to enjoy your life and stop worrying if there is a god. it doesn't say that not believing in god will make your life perfect. almost everyone i've met that believes in god both loves and is afraid of god at the same time. i know i was both and my religion taught me to be both. the government is funding a school system that teaches both to love god and fear god using canadian tax dollars. it is unnecessary suffering. yes, the canadian government funded the catholic school system i grew up in which worked on behalf of the catholic church to make me believe if i didn't worship god, i'd burn in hell for all eternity. and i don't care that they might not teach those things anymore. it is still written in the bibles that fill those schools, along with the rest of the irrational hatred and intolerance.

where in that ad does it say religion should be banned?

what are the true 5 biggest problems in the world?

Doesn't bother me. These are just like any other ads trying to sell you something. If pro-religion ads were previously approved by TTC it's only fair to present an opposing view.

Back