News   Jul 17, 2024
 269     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 983     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 559     0 

Atheists hope (don't pray) to bring ads to Toronto (G&M)

do you support this ad?

• Total voters
^To add to that, since the discovery of knowledge is expanding at an ever-increasing rate, it's possible that the "unexplained forces" will someday be explained. And very probable there will be logical formulas and explanations for them.

Just because a person 800 years ago believed the earth was flat, and no one had the science yet to prove that is wasn't flat, does not legitimize their belief or faith that the earth is flat nor did their belief make the earth flat. They were wrong.
Actually 800 years ago people didn't believe the earth was flat. That's largely a myth. Since the ancient Greeks calculated the circumference of the earth quite accurately, virtually no educated person has believed that the earth was flat. The peasants who composed the vast majority of the population in the middle ages might have thought the earth was flat...assuming of course that they even had a concept of "earth" at all.

As for unexplained forces, why not just call them unexplained forces? If they are "unexplained" then they can't be god. That "unexplained" status suggests nothing in particular, so why pretend to have knowledge of what fills that unexplained space? These forces are, by your own admission, unexplained.

As for this "higher power," it is just a gift wrapping to cover up a lack of knowledge. What is the nature of this power? What do you mean by "higher" power? How high? Where? None of this is remotely measurable or accessible. You want to call it god, others might want to call it pixie dust.

Once again, the invocation of god always hints of a tendency to play god, or speak on behalf of a god. All too often, there is tendency for people who believe in god to think themselves as better than those who don't. Then they have special knowledge.

There is no difference in saying there is maybe nothing there and saying something may be there.
Until we know what is there, what the HELL is to you what I think is there. :mad: Will you die If I think there is something there...

You know that people like me will easily change their views if scientific evidence suggests there is no higher power there.

you need to calm down and go back and yell at the real idiots.

Right wing Christians and left wing Idealists. :D

About the Earth being flat, I also recall a Roman writer saying the earth was round as well.

Last edited:
In 1991, the Catholic church finally recognised that the earth is not the center of our solar system....pathetic.

About the Earth being flat, I also recall a Roman writer saying the earth was round as well.

Do you remember anything about DaVinci?

There is no difference in saying there is maybe nothing there and saying something may be there.
Until we know what is there, what the HELL is to you what I think is there. :mad: Will you die If I think there is something there...

You know that people like me will easily change their views if scientific evidence suggests there is no higher power there.

you need to calm down and go back and yell at the real idiots.

Right wing Christians and left wing Idealists. :D

Uh, yeah.

Speaking of calming down, why don't you follow your suggestion. I was answering the post of another member, not yours.

But since your self-important moral outrage is all stoked up with brimstone and HELLfire, might I point out to you that there is a subtle difference between "nothing" and something that has yet to be explained.

You do understand that it is not the purpose of science to prove or disprove your belief in the existence of god or higher powers? In order for anything to happen like you wish for, you would first have to provide some evidence of the nature of that higher power. It's location would be a start.

yes it's a claim, it's also written in english, on the internet, etc. but it's also a lie.

if i claim to know that you committed a crime when i don't know if you did, tell everyone that you did commit the crime. it's a lie. doesn't matter if it's remotely possible.

it's not a total lie, because as far as you can tell, i did commit a crime. There are two options: i did, or i didn't. There is no evidence to suggest that i did either, so it's a clean slate.

The world, she's-a-flat as Gwen Stefani's chest

Gwen-Stefani--C10103044.jpeg

thou shalt not bear false witness?

it's not a total lie, because as far as you can tell, i did commit a crime. There are two options: i did, or i didn't. There is no evidence to suggest that i did either, so it's a clean slate.

????

so i can say whatever i like and i'm not lying to people as long as they can't prove otherwise?

The world, she's-a-flat as Gwen Stefani's chest

Gwen-Stefani--C10103044.jpeg

hey, don't make fun of my girlfriend. and yes, she's my girlfriend. i'm not lying because it can't be proven wrong. and if anyone asks her to backup my claim, she won't because she specifically was instructed by me to say she doesn't even know me. this is because i don't want anyone to know for sure. i want you all to have faith. again, i'm not telling a lie.........

......or am i?

i just found this on the net, posted by a fundie on an "godless" :) message board:

Code:
http://www.watchtower.org/e/20050822/article_01.htm

all i gotta say is wow. cut and paste into your browser. it's from the jehovah's witness official website. just image jehovah witnesses schools funded by the canadian government, teaching its students this crap.

thank goodness john tory didn't get elected.

hey, don't make fun of my girlfriend. and yes, she's my girlfriend. i'm not lying because it can't be proven wrong. and if anyone asks her to backup my claim, she won't because she specifically was instructed by me to say she doesn't even know me. this is because i don't want anyone to know for sure. i want you all to have faith. again, i'm not telling a lie.........

......or am i?

as far as we can tell, she is your girlfriend. it's very unlikely, but it could be true

as far as we can tell, she is your girlfriend. it's very unlikely, but it could be true

i know alot of men out there would cut off their left nut (tire nut) :) to be married to a woman that thinks the way you do.

Once again, it isn't false information because it isn't proved or disproved. Right now its an "unproved theory".

Again to the formation of the universe, it knows what happened, but not how. (as is the case with most of science)

A theory is not science. Science is not a theory.
Those are two different things that you are confusing I think.

Science is factual. It does not lie. Science can prove things. However we are limited with what we have, so science can not prove or disprove how everything started. Therefore someone made a theory of how they think it all started and called it Big Bang. Big Bang is not science, just someone's theory. It just so happens to be a widely believed theory, based on scientific knowledge.

It seems people are getting confused about the 'there is a god' statement. The statement 'there is a god' is a lie (does not follow), given our knowledge base. We don't have any compelling evidence to support or deny the existence of a deity. The only truthful statement is 'there might or might not be a god', because the statement is a tautology and therefore vacuously true. Then again, maybe I'm just throwing logic at it.

Beyond that, I don't see any prospect of settling the question of the existence of a god, so perhaps we should just take that bus ad to heart.

And regarding my earlier statement re: belief in the supernatural being incompatible with a scientific outlook, I stand by it. Science is grounded in logic, and believing in the supernatural involves assuming unfalsifiable theories are true. Unfalsifiable theories, obviously, cannot be disproved. But science is built upon the repeated testing of falsifiable theories. Is the contradiction so hard to see?

Back