News   Jul 15, 2024
 218     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Apple Store

Having the Apple store closer to Avenue Rd is perhaps good retail strategy--much like how the Eaton Centre location caters to Ryerson students and the Ste Catherine's location caters to McGill/Concordia students, this shop would reach the UofT-ers well.

Here's a shot I took of the sexy Ste Cats (Mtl) location on 19 December 2008:

dsc01061l.jpg

Sherway is a high end mall, Square One has a Wal Mart in it.
Apple targets wealthier demographics which are available en masse at Sherway.

I would say Square One attracts a wider demographic, not necessarily a lower-end one. Sure, there's a Wal-Mart, Zellers, and two dollar stores. But there is also Harry Rosen, Coach, WM Ashley, Lucky, BCBG, etc. I sort of defies the typical mix, but apparently it works - there hasn't been a vacant store there for years...

The Apple Store took over space vacated by Tommy Kids and Jacob (I think) in Cityside. Nice high-profile location. They have been working on it for quite a while now, so it's surprising to hear it's not schedule to open until fall.

Having the Apple store closer to Avenue Rd is perhaps good retail strategy--much like how the Eaton Centre location caters to Ryerson students and the Ste Catherine's location caters to McGill/Concordia students, this shop would reach the UofT-ers well.

Here's a shot I took of the sexy Ste Cats (Mtl) location on 19 December 2008:

dsc01061l.jpg

Thanks for posting this pic urbandreamer...I hadn't seen the Apple storefront on Ste. Catharines....if Bloor St gets done it will be memorable.

meh ...

Might just be me but I'm not liking that Apple store too much - or really any of their stores to be honest.

Should I?

I mean I doubt anyone could argue it doesn't have a cool factor - but when you stop and think about it, what does it provide to the public realm ... notice how it's surrounded by chains / ropes ... it's just a glass box with no purpose whatsoever.

If there's adequate sidewalk space then sure! I might not mid it. But no, I'm not loving it.

I would say Square One attracts a wider demographic, not necessarily a lower-end one. Sure, there's a Wal-Mart, Zellers, and two dollar stores. But there is also Harry Rosen, Coach, WM Ashley, Lucky, BCBG, etc. I sort of defies the typical mix, but apparently it works - there hasn't been a vacant store there for years...

The Apple Store took over space vacated by Tommy Kids and Jacob (I think) in Cityside. Nice high-profile location. They have been working on it for quite a while now, so it's surprising to hear it's not schedule to open until fall.

I think Square One is aiming for a more upscale demographic with a lot of the new stores, but if you notice, all the high-end stores (BCBG, Apple, Guess/Marciano, Sephora, Coach) are on the Upper Level, whereas a lot of the random stores like the comic book store, Zero Edge and Bulk Barn are on the Lower Level.

what does it provide to the public realm ... notice how it's surrounded by chains / ropes ... it's just a glass box with no purpose whatsoever.

I see it as public art. The only difference being it was built by a private company. They could have always just built a normal store, but that would have done nothing for the public realm, unlike the current structure which allows light through and simply looks amazing. I would much rather walk by this than most of the shops we have on Yonge St. Its commercial, but doesn't try hard to be commercial. The logo is almost hidden.

lol you can tell 95% in the store are not going to buy anything...

I gotta say the Apple Store has to be the best shopping experience ever! There is a big open space, with all their products lined up, and you can try them all. There are enough staff for practically every customer. There is the Genius bar for tech support. On the other hand, you also have the outside appearance of their stores, such as the posted of St Catherines and the Cube in NYC. I really hope they have a store in the 1Bloor complex.
As Tuscani said, it is sieved as public art, and as lordmandeep says, most people in there won't even buy anything. I find the Apple Store the most pleasant and non-corporatizing(?) experience.

Last edited:
Yeah however due to the sheer volume of people, they still sell a ton of stuff.

I gotta say the Apple Store has to be the best shopping experience ever! There is a big open space, with all their products lined up, and you can try them all. There are enough staff for practically every customer. There is the Genius bar for tech support. On the other hand, you also have the outside appearance of their stores, such as the posted of St Catherines and the Cube in NYC. I really hope they have a store in the 1Bloor complex.
As Tuscani said, it is sieved as public art, and as lordmandeep says, most people in there won't even buy anything. I find the Apple Store the most pleasant and non-corporatizing(?) experience.

I find it as corporate as any other store.

I don't find it to be a good shopping experience for the same reason I don't find the Sony Store to be a good shopping experience - they have a lot of sales people (or "Geniuses"), but almost none of them have any idea what they're talking about.

I find it as corporate as any other store.

I don't find it to be a good shopping experience for the same reason I don't find the Sony Store to be a good shopping experience - they have a lot of sales people (or "Geniuses"), but almost none of them have any idea what they're talking about.

Exactly what Apple Store did you go into. As annoying as salespeople can be, the ones in the Sherway Apple Store left me alone after I said I only needed new earphones and that I didn't need help. At least that was my case.

I see it as public art. The only difference being it was built by a private company. They could have always just built a normal store, but that would have done nothing for the public realm, unlike the current structure which allows light through and simply looks amazing. I would much rather walk by this than most of the shops we have on Yonge St. Its commercial, but doesn't try hard to be commercial. The logo is almost hidden.

Agreed. The picture isn't very flattering either. When you see the cube in person in its context and from street level you can fully appreciate its aesthetic impact.

Back