891     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 797     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 584     0 

androiduk's My Toronto

Dalhousie looking south from Gould

dalhousiechurch.jpg

I don't know how old that station is Mike, maybe someone else does. I really like it except for the exposed concrete pillars out front. It would have been nice if they covered them in metal. The light poles on Yonge St. were erected in the last 12 months.

Well, the Spadina line opened in 1978, but I don't know if the canopy to the Heath Street entrance of St. Clair West was built at that time. It probably was - it has some design elements from the Yorkdale station. Note the windows at the top are shaped like subway windows just like the Yorkdale Station; also the style is somewhat remenicscent of Eb Zeidler's designs - see Eaton Centre, Ontario Place (buildings from the 1970's) and somewhat of a precursor to his Toronto Centre for the Arts up in North York.

My Toronto: Always Interesting!

Android: Concerning that signpost "bike rack" pic on 10/16 I will mention that a signpost is NOT the best place to lock up a bicycle-I recall a buddy of mine telling me about bikes being stolen in NYC by thieves actually lifting them up and over the top of the signpost-especially if they were chained up somewhat loosely and fit around the sign itself.

That Kryptonite lock helps-but what would stop a dedicated thief from removing the sign-especially if it is attached on with traditional fasteners like nuts and bolts? There's nothing wrong with good strong bike racks!
LI MIKE

Yonge, just north of St. Clair. Traveling north on Yonge St. from Queens Quay, this is the first church you'll run into. Coincidentally, there's another one across the street.

1stchurch.jpg

The lush grounds of 25 St. Mary St. Such settings are becoming increasingly rare downtown,

In late spring, summer and fall check out Alexander Street. The Greenwin Properties (40 & 50 Alexander + 55 Maitland) maintain their grounds impeccably and still mantain their large, fab '60's water feature as does the CityPark Co-op properties directly across the street with it's stunning English gardens & green spaces along Alexander, and in between each building.

Make sure your condo corporations reserve fund is maintained. This downtown co-op recently spent $2 million to repair the salt damaged underground parking and now another $2 million to repair the balconies.

50glouc.jpg

Back