News   Mar 28, 2024
 17     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 203     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Advertising on the TTC

This is big, folks, this is big.

It's really not. Those complaining aren't at all representative of the faiths they claim to represent. And the statement objected to is just the standard Muslim statement of faith, no more objectionable than quoting Jesus saying "No one comes to the Father except through me."

Seriously, no one would be complaining if the ad weren't about Islam.

It's really not. Those complaining aren't at all representative of the faiths they claim to represent. And the statement objected to is just the standard Muslim statement of faith, no more objectionable than quoting Jesus saying "No one comes to the Father except through me."

Seriously, no one would be complaining if the ad weren't about Islam.

You think an ad that said "God created the heavens and the earth, and he sent his only son to earth to die and rise again for your sins" would not raise eyebrows among other religious groups or among those that believe the scientific theory that the earth was created during the/a Big Bang???

Have you seen the various "Bus Stop Bible Study" ads on the TTC? They are on occasion even more explicitly doctrinal.

Well, now you have a leading Jewish group, a leading Hindu group, and the powerful Rev McVety all chiming in on this.
As has been pointed out to you, the "Christian" leader is racist, sexist, anti-gay wingnut. No one in their right mind cares what he thinks, and I hardly think he could be considered Christian by any normal definition of the word. If the other "leaders" are of a similar ilk, then this is meaningless.

Last edited by a moderator:
With any luck this will result in a total ban of all religious advertising on the TTC and city media (garbage cans, city billboards, etc.)

As a secular atheist, I believe that all religious advertising (including atheist ones) should be banned on public property.

Here is an interesting set of photographs I took a few years ago:

The Bus Stop Bible ad
2d9pqol.jpg

The Atheist ad
15rfeko.jpg

Now this is very interesting
213dt.jpg

Both on the same image (the same side of the subway car even)!

Last edited:
Personally I'd rather see no religious advertising. But that'd be kinda anti-freedom of expression no? So I guess they stay.

This reminds me of the mid-90s campus advertizing campaigns that some loudmouths (Varsity writers, left wing groups) were up in arms about. I always say if you buy what an ad is saying, you're pretty gullible and deserve everything coming.

I really wonder if Raquel is part of one of the groups protesting these ads?

I think any ads should be allowed--the TTC needs the cash, so why not?

Well, now you have a leading Jewish group, a leading Hindu group, and the powerful Rev McVety all chiming in on this.

AND also moderate Muslim leader Tarek Fatah of MCC.

This is big, folks, this is big.

Oh yeah. It's earth-shaking. It's right up there with a story about a cat stuck in a tree.

I am only amazed that in 2012 there are still educated human beings in this developed country who believe there are some sort of super natural "god" that we should listen to, not to mention the childish fight over whose god is legitimate.

I propose establishing a country to put all those God believing people in, since they have a lot in common.

As a secular atheist, I believe that all religious advertising (including atheist ones) should be banned on public property.

Agreed. Religious folks often feel offended to hear people say there is no God, yet they never realize that talking about God all the time, especially in public spaces, is equally offending to atheists.
One should have the right to believe in God, just like he has the right to think the Earth is flat and the sun circles around the Earth, but please keep the stupidity to yourself and don't advertise it to innocent kids.

Back