News   Apr 18, 2024
 422     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     4 

Advertising on the TTC

Nice post. The National Post can have some finely written articles, and I appreciate reasoning and intelligent counterpoints to my own views and biases. I've been disappointed more and more by the G&M, though.

Thank you. And I definitely agree with you. There are some articles in the NP that still leave me shaking my head, but they're really gone much deeper than any other agency with the Robocalls stuff, as well as the F-35s. The G&M on the other hand has been putting out more and more fluff pieces devoid of any real fact or substance (Ibbitson in particular, he's been writing lately like he's trying to suck up for a Senate appointment).

The NP, G&M, Star, and Citizen pretty much all present the same facts, but frame them and analyze them in different ways. It's good to get multiple viewpoints on the same story. Conversely, when you're reading about the same thing in 4 different papers, it's much easier to sniff out BS, because when 1 paper is saying something and the other 3 are saying something completely different, well you can have a pretty good idea of which one is wrong.

I enjoy reading views that may be contrary to my own, because I usually see a new perspective on it. I may not always agree with it, but at least it makes me more informed about why I hold the views that I hold.

When all you're being fed is news from a single source, your ability to detect and filter out BS goes way down. I will admit the Star occasionally posts articles where even I go "what? are you kidding me?", but I find that when I do decide to wander over to the Sun website, I find myself saying that to nearly every article.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. No one is entitled to their own facts.

It is news and it is about the TTC.

BTW the second link showed Tarek Fatah (a MUSLIM ) also opposes these ads, is he a 'known Islamophobe also?? AND also Rev Charles McVety, a prominent Christian leader doesnt like it either.
McVety, a prominent Christian leader? The guy is an evil piece of work. He's a realy hate mongerer, and seems to hate pretty much anyone. Anti-muslim. Anti-gay. It's not really surprising that he's opposed to something like this.

It seems, ShonTron, that you have some pretty deep seated biases and perhaps some personal axe to grind, which clouds your objectivity.
An odd comment from someone who refers to a despicable white-wing bigot like McVety as "a prominent Christian leader". Good grief, that's like calling Robert Pickton a supplier of prime quality sausage.

I just find it interesting that raquel would want to come on here and inform us of all the coming and goings of his dear Ron.

AoD

I'm amused that some folks are all in a tizzy about an Islamic ad, when the TTC has been running Christian ads for years.

Tulse:

The wording of the ad is a bit too aggressive for my taste but really, going all up in arms about this issue? Some really have way too much time on their hands. Don't they have a job? A real job?

AoD

The wording of the ad is a bit too aggressive for my taste

"Aggressive" how? It's just a clear statement of their belief, the standard Shahada of Islam. I don't see how it is any worse that an ad that says "Jesus Christ is Lord", or even one that presents the Nicene Creed. It is simply a fact that most religions think that others are wrong in some aspect -- I don't see how acknowledging that is "aggressive".

As an atheist, I prefer it when religions don't shilly-shally around their actual beliefs.

But yes, this is a tempest in a teapot, and I think the only reason the issue flared up is because it involves Islam. I suspect we wouldn't have heard anything about it if it was an ad for Zoroastrianism or Shintoism.

Tulse:

Some aspects of one's beliefs are best not stated out loud, particularly when it's telling everyone - without even the room for alternate interpretations - that only they possess the one and only truth. Nothing to do with the religion itself, but how this ad is worded. That's the same issue I have with the atheist ad as well - on the basis of rudeness (and I am saying this as an atheist).

AoD

I think its pretty much accepted that if you believe in a certain religion you essentially think all the other religions are wrong. That is the unspoken truth. However in this case this is exactly what the ad is saying. My God is right and yours is wrong and even worse non existant. I think it would be better if religious ads stated the positives or the theology of their religions rather than trying to debate which one is right. Although I am not Muslim I am sure there are things I could take away from their teachings. Same goes for Hindus, Sihks and all sorts of other religions. This Ad does nothing to make me want to change religions, rather it feels like an attack. Some here argued that if other religions wanted to they can take out their own ads. Is that really what other religions should be doing? Is that really what you want to read about while on the TTC. I try to avoid reading the ads but to be on a train with every ad representing a deiffernt religion debating would be exausting. Anyways thats my take.

Some aspects of one's beliefs are best not stated out loud, particularly when it's telling everyone - without even the room for alternate interpretations - that only they possess the one and only truth.

Even if that is their actual belief? I find the alternative to be deceptive -- if someone actually believes that everyone not of their religion is going to hell, and is making public policy decisions based on that, I want to know. And if an ad is proselytizing for a certain faith, I think it is deceptive to hide what the faith's beliefs are.

And, I'd argue, the various Christian ads on the TTC are often just as exclusionary in their stated beliefs.

All that said, though, we Canadians are good at polite fictions, and I guess I'm OK with politeness trumping truth as long as that's the case for everyone, and not just some religions.

Well, now you have a leading Jewish group, a leading Hindu group, and the powerful Rev McVety all chiming in on this.

AND also moderate Muslim leader Tarek Fatah of MCC.

This is big, folks, this is big.

As someone who grew up with a Hindu faith in the GTA, I can say that Canadian Hindu Advocacy is NOT the leading Hindu group in the GTA.

Back