1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

596 Church Street (Church 18 Holdings, 25s, RAW) DEAD

Community Consultation Meeting Dec 6th

From the Church-Wellesley Neighbourhood Association facebook group:

This is it! The community meeting for the proposed development at Church and Gloucester is set for 6 Dec. at 6pm (6pm open house to view plans & 7pm meeting). The meeting will take place at the 519 Community Centre on the east side of Church Street, just north of Wellesley.

I don't know my schedule yet but I'll do everything possible to be there, and to report back on the presentation.

A reminder, tomorrow night (Monday Dec. 6th) The City of Toronto is hosting a community consultation on the proposed 25-storey high-rise on Church St. between Gloucester and Dundonald at 6pm. Come to view the drawings, question the developer and express your views or concerns at the 519 Community Centre, 519 Church Street just north of Wellesley on the east side of the street.

I was googling this project tonight and found the developer's site which I haven't seen mentioned here. It has an additional image so here's the link.

http://www.church18holdings.com/

It looks like the artist thinks that Fuzion and its patio would still exist.

I was googling this project tonight and found the developer's site which I haven't seen mentioned here. It has an additional image so here's the link.

http://www.church18holdings.com/

It looks like the artist thinks that Fuzion and its patio would still exist.

The website includes an email address to submit comments:

comments@church18holdings.com

Be sure to email them and let them know what we think about their plans to destroy the character of this part of Church street.

I think this is good for this neighborhood and from the renders it appears that the character of the older buildings stays intact.

Yeah, i also think its OK, i dont know what all the fuss is about considering the area.

Never trust a rendering, let alone a sympathetic watercolour vision such as this.
By this image, 580/582 Church St (1878) currently Fuzion & Voglie appears to be saved except the back of the building, 584 Church (Catherine Collard House, 1909) gets demolished, 592 Church (Wallace Millichamp Houses, 1873) gets to keep the front facade, the rest of the building gets demolished, 596 Church St (Gloucester Mansions): demolished, 67 Gloucester Street (Gloucester Mansions): part of facade retained, building demolished & 69 Gloucester Street (Wallace Millichamp House, 1875): demolished.

^^ agreed... never trust a render.

I still believe though that this section of Church St (Isabella to Maitland) is in need of something. Be it knocking down some old buildings to make way for something new or maybe adding to and refurbishing the old ones.

The rendering also makes the whole thing look rather cozy by leaving out the upper twenty-some odd floors of the proposal.

The entire stretch of Church north of Wellesley really needs new development, but I think the proposed size of this one, along with it's slated demolitions, is too much. It looks like the house on the south end is going to have a chunk taken out of the back, and the Gloucester Mansions apartment building - which is a lovely little thing - scheduled to be demolished. I think both these ideas are bad actions to take. Both the house and the apartment building should be left alone.

The other three buildings on the block - well, it's trickly. Even if the yellow-brick one's facade is retained, to have it sitting under a twenty-five storey glass tower will look ridiculous and insulting. Facadism is often a dubious idea at the best of times, but Toronto seems to be doing it insultingly these days, and with a vengeance. I'd also hate to see the yellow-brick building be torn down. But I'm not sure a facadism compromise will benefit either history, the street or the resulting architecture.

I think it's also a pity that this block is being focused on first, when the block immediately south of it - between Wellesley and Dundonald - is in such saggy shape. It architecturally contains virtually nothing worth keeping on it, and would be a fantastic development opportunity. Something on this block (perhaps with a theatre or cultural component?) would go a long way towards spritzing up the intersection and extending the village northward in a lively fashion.

I am amused how so many people on the boards are so protective of the Village but will let neighbourhoods all over the city outside of it get butchered. Ah well...

I agree that the block south of this should logically be re-developed first, it's hideous, but how can you tell a developer that? If they own the block in question but not the block south, then they have to work with what they have. I'm sure the developer would rather own the LCBO property so they didn't have to deal with people fighting to preserve it.

I'm not opposed to this project. I don't think it's terribly interesting like Five, but I think it will help bring more people into the village and will help spur the block south of it to be re-developed in the future.

I don't believe height should be an issue for this property given the admittedly small setback. I'd be more concerned about 25 storeys at the northeast corner of Church and Wellesley should somebody ever decide to redevelop that properly, which appears to be sagging all over.

Community Consultation Meeting Dec 6th, 7:00pm

Tonight's Community Consultation Meeting was held in the 2nd floor auditorium at the 519 Community Centre, a much larger space than where the two previous meetings were held and was pretty much full to capacity, no standing room was required like the last two meetings.

Willie Macrae, City of Toronto Planner, opened by apologizing to the crowd for any misconception that this project was being "pushed through" without community input as there have been suggestions of such. He explained how the application process came to be, the first report issued in April and said that meetings such as this are not held in the summer months due to vacations and then there was the City election, which brought us to this evening.

I thought that tonight's meeting was a bit of a sham. There was no scale model which for some reason I thought there would be, however there were several easels with blow-up renderings and planning documents, all of which had been presented before and can be found on this thread. Willie Macrae did a brief review of the process, the site, the history of the buildings, the proposal and reiterated that this project had been rejected in it's present form for various reasons which most in attendance already knew and loudly applauded. To recap, 580/582 Church (built 1878, currently Fuzion & Voglie restaurants) will remain but have a small portion chopped off the back of the building for wider access to the proposed building from Dundonald Street, 584 Church (Catherine Collard House, 1909, the only building not listed as a heritage property) will be demolished for the condominium entrance, 592 Church (Wallace Millichamp apartment houses, 1873) will be demolished but the facade will remain (or be removed & rebuilt), 596 Church (Gloucester Mansions, 1911) will be demolished, 67 Gloucester St (Gloucester Mansions building #2, 1911) will be demolished but the facade will remain or be rebuilt & 69 Gloucester St. (Wallace Millichamp House, 1875) will be demolished. Gloucester Street would be turned into a two way street but only from the point where vehicular access from the condominium exits so that drivers can go east on Gloucester to Church Street, currently both Dundonald and Gloucester Streets are one-way streets going west to Yonge Street. The loss of 35 demolished rentals will be worked into the new project tucked away in behind in a 4-storey section to replace the existing rentals (bach., 1, 2 & 3 bedroom units). Existing tenants get first crack at them if the project gets green-lighted "near" the same amount that they are paying now.

A representative for the developer then gave us a poor, fluffy presentation from their side of the development with half a dozen or so very enthusiastic audience members clapping for his presentation over on the north side of the auditorium.

When the presentations concluded questions were taken from the audience. Most were concerns over the heritage buildings (which the developer noted were "run down" and "in poor shape", thanks of course to them - the owners of the affected properties), relocation concerns for existing residents, shadow impacts/clear sky views, the scale & height of the building in a heritage district, this being an unattractive proposal and such. Other questions (from the north side of the room) stood to support the project as it's the "kind of building they would buy into", the old buildings are "full of bugs" & "poorly insulated making them environmentally unfriendly" and the like. I can't prove anything but I started to get the feeling that the developer had planted people into the audience, especially after the comment "they (the developer, "Church 18 Holdings" [what else have they built?]) is a good developer that really cares about the community unlike most other developers". Further, I didn't hear these folks identify where they lived - everyone was asked to do this at the beginning of the question period along with giving their name as they stood to register their comments or questions.

My frustration began to grow and I was really opposing this whole thing even more until a woman who has lived in one of the buildings for 27 years (and raised her family in a spacious 3 bedroom apartment there) stood and clarified the temporary bug problem they had there in 3 apartments then made a comment which really resonated with me and confirmed my opposition, she said that we travel to places and marvel at historic districts, she identified Montreal as an example, but we have little regard for our own history right here in Toronto which slowly continues to disappear. That sealed the deal for me and I left.

I do not support this project. This 25 storey building (which we know that, if approved, could very likely turn to 27 or 30 stories) is too fat & stumpy looking, will block sun for several blocks around this low-rise heritage district of mostly century homes & low-rise walk-ups (although I'm not as passionate about this issue as others here are unless it affects sunlight in parks, prominent civic spaces or along the water's edge), the building and add-ons are unattractive even in the renderings, I hate to see the heritage homes and apartment walk-ups chopped apart and I generally think this location is all 'round inappropriate when there are many other opportunities nearby that are much more suited to more appropriate development. I'd also like to point out that the renderings presented by the developer seem to me to be misleading. The building (in my view) has been cleverly and deceptively squished in the renderings (see below) giving the impression that 25 storeys is not as high as one would be lead to believe by viewing the renderings. In one rendering they even emphasize nearby highrises (which are not as close as the rendering would suggest) and emphasize their height (which are mostly 15-20 storey apartments with 8' ceilings) compared to their proposal; look closely. So yes, this proposal is only 25 stories (currently) which by today's Toronto standards isn't that high but consider this if you live in, or are familiar with the neighbourhood, the north tower at Radio City is 25 stories so take the height of that building into consideration and try to visualize a building of that height being built in this mostly low-rise, residential heritage area.

I'm a solid no, as is.

church3.jpg

church2.jpg

church1.jpg

Source: Raw Design

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.

What are the next steps in the process? Is the city planning department on side? Is the by-law amendment going to be approved? What is our councillor's position? Was she there?

Back