News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

596 Church Street (Church 18 Holdings, 25s, RAW) DEAD

I was at a meeting of the Church Wellesley Neighbourhood Association last night and it was announced that this project is dead. The developer had six months to re-submit an application and they chose not to. The properties are up for sale, though I can't seem find them listed on MLS.

the greed is just getting started my friends....sadly we have not heard the last of this one.

The properties are protected which make it a very difficult site to build on given the designations for the properties both on Church Street and Gloucester Street. That said, the properties are up for sale and, strangely, listed as "good development potential", or something like that.

Agree with Interchange and Urbanfervour. This needs some strong editing. Doesn't look like any heritage is being really saved. Just sat on and bossed around.

And hands off Cawthra Park! It's a little ratty with homeless homos, but those homeless homos need some place to go.

I think you'll find that it's mostly homeless winos and drug addicts...I doubt their sexuality is of much concern to them or anyone else.

I agree hands off the park though. Another poster blamed the 519 Community Centre for the state of the park, that's not the place to lay blame. Parks Toronto looks after the open areas.

I think you'll find that it's mostly homeless winos and drug addicts...I doubt their sexuality is of much concern to them or anyone else.

I agree hands off the park though. Another poster blamed the 519 Community Centre for the state of the park, that's not the place to lay blame. Parks Toronto looks after the open areas.

Cheers my friend and welcome to the forum

Thanks. I found it when I was looking for photos of Church Street, didn't find the bit I wanted though. Trying to locate one of the old Loblaws that used to be in Cawthra Park next to the 519. Seems that nobody ever took a picture of it.

Hardly surprising as it wasn't what one would call an architectural gem.

Last edited:
There used to be a Loblaws there? I didn't know that.

Actually, the other thing I'd like to see a picture of is of whatever used to occupy east side of the park. There's still the one wall standing, and it looks like it must've been a church. I've never seen a picture or a map or an explanation of what it is/was

Another poster blamed the 519 Community Centre for the state of the park, that's not the place to lay blame. Parks Toronto looks after the open areas.

Communities look after open areas, not just bureaucracies. It's the 519 Community Centre. As such, it should show some stewardship toward the community, including the park that surrounds it on three sides.

Last edited:
There used to be a Loblaws there? I didn't know that.

Actually, the other thing I'd like to see a picture of is of whatever used to occupy east side of the park. There's still the one wall standing, and it looks like it must've been a church. I've never seen a picture or a map or an explanation of what it is/was

You got me curious so I hunted around and found this;

Capturechw.JPG

Communities look after open areas, not just bureaucracies. It's the 519 Community Centre. As such, it should show some stewardship toward the community, including the park that surrounds it on three sides.
Well I guess so, but they are funded by the City too I think, so I guess it all ends up being the same responsibility. That park has gone through a few transformations since I first moved into the area in 1972 and not all good in my opinion.
If it gets ripped up by drunks at night then that's the Police's problem as heaven only knows I've called them often enough when woken late by loud noise (people and sometimes dogs) coming from the park. They hardly ever respond. Twice I went higher and was promised that there would be a nightly patrol through the park, which happened maybe once.

You got me curious so I hunted around and found this;

Capturechw.JPG

That is fascinating, where did you find it & is it dated? So Loblaws occupied the spot that's marked Geo Crawrbrd there, whatever that was. It looks like a skating rink occupied the spot next to that high wall. Another interesting thing is that the street now named Monteith St. used to be Cawthra Ave and it appears as though there was no through access between it and Cawthra Sq. although it's difficult to tell.
Also the H.A. Massey estate (now the Keg Mansion) extended right along Jarvis to Wellesley St. where the gas station now stands. That is a location steeped in history.
No fewer than 9 buildings, including a church, stood on the site of my current residence...100 Wellesley St. E.

Last edited:

Back