News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 373     0 

596 Church Street (Church 18 Holdings, 25s, RAW) DEAD

I've never seen that map before, and I do think it's interesting, but I also don't think it explains what that wall in the park is. The wall appears to be buttressed, so I think it had to have been for a church or a hall or something of the sort. That's the 1910 Goad right? It makes me wonder if the (supposed) church must have come after the rink, since I can't imagine anyone preserving that wall that far back in time.

The 19th century road maps all show the two parts of Cawthra lining up with one another, but I'm not sure if that's cartographic laziness or if one side of the road got moved at a later date

The wall must have been part of the skating rink. The Church (Immanuel Baptist) was on the site now occupied by 100 Wellesley St. E. highrise apartment building.

If that was an indoor rink it would have had to have been one of the first in the city. The Mutual Street Rink dates from 1885, the replacement Mutual Street Arena opened in 1912, and Varsity didn't open until 1926.

Apologies for continuing to go off-topic, but on the city's website I found this aerial photo from 1947. It shows the structure that that wall belonged to still standing, and I think it also shows an outdoor skating rink immediately to the south of that. Now I'm really curious about what used to be there.

Cawthra - 1947.jpg

Attachments

• Cawthra - 1947.jpg
    Cawthra - 1947.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 620
I don't know if anything can/should be made of this, but the lessee of 580/582 Church Street is quoted as saying "the owner of this property will be tearing it down and eventually building a condo...". As I heard, House-Maison was only a 2014 summer venture, with a six-month lease that they must have extended. Not sure what to make of all this. I'm not sure if 580/582 or 584 Church are designated or not. https://nowtoronto.com/food-and-drink/food/curtains-at-house-maison/
https://nowtoronto.com/food-and-drink/food/curtains-at-house-maison/

That's absurd. That's one of the most beautiful houses on Church Street by far. I really hope that rumour is not true, or at least it gets incorporated into the base of a condo tower (no façadism though).

Yeah that's easily the nicest building on the block, maybe even the whole street!

It would be a shame to lose it to a glass cube.

Back